Satan's Little Helper

Discussion in 'General' started by Criswell, May 23, 2005.

1. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I'm afraid I agree totally with MrVess's opinion on this oh so very tedious film. Definitely wouldn't recommend a blind buy.

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Damn, this will be a rental for me, so no great loss if it turns out to be... less than entertaining.

3. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Thank you. With so many other must-have releases on 10/4 i'll have to skip this one.

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I wouldn't buy this based on the cover art alone. I know, I know..... thats a stupid thing to say, but goddamn me if it doesn't look horrid. I haven't heard anything about this film, but it just doesn't look very good to me. Is it worth a watch?

5. Criswell

Criswell New Member

mmmmmmmm maybe you young guys need some 70's nostalgia.........

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I saw the DVD out early last evening for $16.99 at Best Buy. Not a bad price as far as the SRP goes ($27.98)... but still seemed a little expensive for a blind buy. It does sound like a good rental choice on Tuesday however.

7. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I didn't really get a 70s vibe from it at all. If anything I thought it was more....late 80's ( pretty much when they stopped making good horror movies ;) )

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Satan's Little Shit

Wow, this film was really dull, slow, dumb and annoying. That little kid playing Satan's little helper, I had the urge to strangle him. What an annoying little asshead :cry:
    The film started off promising put fell apart pretty fast. Could have been so much better, not sure why/how Lieberman could screw this up but he did. Everything got sooo ridiculous lame and kept going on and on and on and on up to the point I started laughing hysterically when that dumb ass kid was calling a Helicopter out for help :rolleyes:
    Not the worst I've seen this year but pretty close.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

That pretty much sums it up. It starts off pretty well, but then it all goes to hell in pretty short order. Plus, the whole annoying cast needed to die in the first 15 minutes. It was an interesting idea, but this likely should have been a short. They didn't have enough to make it a movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2005
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It was a somewhat dumb movie and I can easily understand how someone could hate it. The Satan character was funny as hell at times, and at other times quite annoying. The entire grocery store scene cracked me up. The kid was sometimes annoying too, but a little kid who wants to follow around Satan and get into mischief was somewhat original. I really didn't care much for the ending of the flick though, pretty lame.

I think it's one of those movie's that I'll really need to watch again, simply to make a qualified judgement whether or not I enjoy the film more on repeat viewings.

11. nukfut

nukfut Guest

Generally speaking, I try to avoid films that have small kids as main characters. Goddamn, I hate kids.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Really enjoyed this entertaining little flick. It did have a late 80's vibe to it. It's feel reminded me a little bit of Clownhouse but less predictable and I think this is a better film. Really underrated.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

It's not as scary as Clownhouse. Not even close, but definitely is better written.

I also agree with half the people here, that the cast is annoying. They seem to be trying, but they need to be tightened up - you know? All their line deliveries feel radically unprofessional. Sometimes it works, but 90% of the time it doesn't. It's very unpredictable. It takes awhile to get used to that. It works for the comedy aspect. But it didn't help the film to be any scarier than it was supposed to be. There are definitely some hearty laugh-out-loud moments. I especially liked the slow-walking old lady, dropping all her candy, and him making "sleepy" gestures- mocking her.

I like the way it's shot but, just as a time-passer. For a horror film, it's a poor choice. I'd enjoy something on TV shot the same way. You know? I think it works for Open Water. For this film, not as well. On the other hand, everyone loves a film shot on Halloween and this one looks nice and authentic.

I agree with the 70's horror claim (the end sort of echoes Black Christmas strongly), but with the 80's claim as well. Lots of party-horror in the 1980's about people going out to get things in stores and going here, there, and everywhere. I really loved the chaos scenes in the town, when all the cops are dead and everyone's looting, etc. That recalls 1982's Alone in the Dark a lot.

Overall, it's far too imbalanced to work very well. But, who's looking for balance this decade? I'd rather watch this 5 times than a single Saw "film" once!!

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I agree that the performances are very uneven. Which is exactly what I thought of Clownhouse. What I loved about SLH and what kept it unpredictable is all the taboo stuff that they didn't shy away from for example; The kid having a crush on his sister, His obsession with Satan, Attacking pregnant women and the disabled
    the symbol of Jesus as a murderer
    ect. It left me with the impression that it could go anywhere.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I've read up on what people think about this movie and there are a lot of people who agree with you on that. They like that too. For me... if I find it to be funny- it works. If not, it doesn't. I kind of feel like the shopping-cart scene didn't do very much. I didn't laugh the first time I watched, the second time- I almost laughed. I don't consider the "I'm gonna marry her" thing to be the slightest bit confrontational. Do you remember what it was like to be a kid in the U.S.? If you said things like that in front of other people- they would think you were retarded. Therefore, it may be in some little boys' subconsciouses, but not so many that it flies in a movie. I really think it was just plain stupid. And clueless of the director to think it was funny, or normal.

As for the Jesus thing... I admit, that was a great idea. But, how many holy-rollers watch movies like this?

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just finished up going through Jeff Lieberman's horror films and thought this one was pretty terrible. All the great atmosphere and shots that were present in Squirm, Blue Sunshine, and Just Before Dawn were gone. That might have had something to do with it being shot on video instead of film, but none of the shots were very interesting. It's hard to believe that the same person who made one of the best looking slashers with Just Before Dawn also directed this. I guess that's what taking 16 years off from making narrative features will do to you.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So I finally got to sit down and watch this after hearing good buzz about it over the years and let me tell you, I wasn't disappointed. It's like a so bad it's good movie but the concept is REALLY good. I was so confused at times as I couldn't figure out if it was trying to be intentionally funny or not. The kid for instance was hilarious and messed up too and his acting was so bad but in a good way, as I was highly entertained. There's a scene with a shopping trolley and a carpark that had me in fits of laughter. Yet the movie is so mean spirited and messed up at other times it's like this roller coaster ride.
    The film also manages to be real creepy at times too and genuinely gave me some shivers.

I'm so glad I finally checked this one out. Now I need to find a good edition so I can add it to the collection.

Natas likes this.
  18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I dunno man, I guess I gotta give it another shot this Halloween season. I remember renting it at Blockbuster when it first came out and being pretty disappointed. I've given it a couple more chances throughout the years but do not recall finishing it again. Satan's Little Helper does have some great Halloween atmosphere though.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Natas, I thought something like this would be right up your alley.

I didn't know what to expect going in besides I'd heard some good buzz over the many years it's been out and that it was straight to dvd. I think part of the problem may be Jeff Lieberman's past filmography, some of which is held to a pretty high standard. This feels more like a so bad it's good type movie, but with a far more interesting plot than those types of films have to offer.

Also, Ash28M makes a good point about the taboo aspects that I agree with here in post #34: Satan's Little Helper

But again, for me I had a blast and went on a roller coaster of emotions. Plus Katheryn Winnick definitely helped the time fly :cool::D

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’ve only seen it the once about a decade back, but I remember enjoying it quite a lot.

Zombie Dude likes this.