Satanic Panic - September 6th, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 4, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Satanic Panic: coming to limited theatrical and VOD on September 6th, 2019 from Fangoria / RLJ.

Directed by Chelsea Stardust (Into The Dark: All That We Destroy).

Their VOD window is usually a month, so I would expect the blu-ray release in October.

Erick H. and chancetx like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

I decided to wait a few days for the It: Chapter 2 crowds to die down and instead chose to stay home with a VOD double feature of The Fanatic and Satanic Panic. A perfect B-movie kick-off to the fall horror season.

I thought it was solid suburban horror fun. It reminded me a lot of The Babysitter, only it's much inferior and clunkier. Still, if you enjoyed that movie or that kind of pizza-and-beer horror, you should have a good time with this one. Rebecca Romijn and Ruby Modine steal the show. Jerry O'Connell is basically a one-scene cameo, and it seems like any role he takes anymore requires him to be in BVDs or banana-hammocks (Piranha 3D, Deep Murder, etc). Jordan Ladd is also here as a cult member, who I haven't seen in a long time. Also a small role from AJ Bowen. This one doesn't skimp on the gore or sexual content either (expect a deadly strap-on and a Satanic orgy).

It's definitely on the clunky side and hindered by the budget here and there. That's easy to overlook when the movie's heart is in the right place, as it is here.

Blu-ray is coming October 22nd. I pre-ordered right after finishing it, as the price is pretty cheap. It's not a Halloween-set movie, but it's still a good choice for an October popcorn horror film.

[​IMG]

Myron Breck and chancetx like this.
  3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I thought it was ok, some nice gore, funny moments, acting pretty good apart from a few that were a bit over the top.

But for me it fell apart towards the end, it felt like they didn't have an ending and just threw this up to conclude it, it felt very rushed and brought my enjoyment in the end down a peg or 2.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I was contemplating downloading this but then I watched the trailer and thought it didn't look very good. It reminds me of a similar movie I saw where it's a guy who's the virgin and his family are the Cult. That one was an enjoyable comedy.

6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. A number of creative deaths, funny quips, and an charming lead cast really is what holds this together despite it's bigger flaws. The Cinematography is incredible poor, making the film look cheap and crude, the dialogue - which can be rather funny at times - is too often silly and unbelievable (it's clear the screen writers are huge marks for Tarantino), And like others have said, the ending is very lack luster. Still pretty descent all around, just don't go in expecting another "Shaun of the Dead" or something of that elk.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Found it neither funny nor scary. Sure, there are a few clever moments, but this film drags its way to the end. Also, the lead was able to escape the house and then be trapped in the house without much effort either way.

Strangely, Romijn and O'Connell are distractingly botoxed. Disappointed overall in this, and I say this as a fan of Grady Hendrix, who wrote the script.

Edit: One thing I really liked about the film was its soundtrack.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  8. CPT HOOK

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers!

Someone shared on Facebook that WalMart has altered the cover art in order for it to be carried in stores:

IMG_20191022_145346.jpg

For comparison, I received the non-Wal-Mart edition earlier today:

IMG_20191022_145819.jpg

fceurich39 likes this.
  9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

What load of fucking political correctness bollocks!! I didn't realise the word 'satanic' could cause such mass hysteria in America.

Total wank.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Lol I too noticed this today When I got blumhouse new release bloodline DVD with slip and killer high DVD which is recommended by Cpt Hook. Only seen brief glimpses on Syfy channel.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. This is shocking to me. Not to mention fucking stupid because I'm sure the title when the movie plays will keep "Satanic" in there. Oh and the pentagram is still on the cover too, so symbolisim is OK then?

hots4 likes this.
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up the panic DVD censored slipcover it has Satanic Panic on the DVD cover. Also got Tone Deaf DVD. I really dug the movie fun film gore kill scenes were good too.