Santo Films

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I'm not a big wrestling fan, but I've always been curious about the Mexican films featuring Santo. Can anyone here point me in the right direction as to what films to watch, and more importantly which DVDs to buy. There are many poor quality copies out there, but most importantly, my Spanish is Muy Malo (yeah, I know I live in South Florida!!) So, I need ones that have English subs. Thanks for any help!

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Most DVD's don't seem to have subtitles or English dubbing but the Rise Above Entertainment DVDs from 10 years back have English subtitles. I don't remember specifics about them but from the small blurbs I wrote online about them at the time, Santo vs. Frankenstein's Daughter seemed to be the one I enjoyed the most. They had a four disc boxset of the best. Unfortunately they're long out of print and rather expensive now.

I didn't think the very recent VCI releases came with subtitles, but reading some of the reviews on Amazon they seem to indicate that they do. They have put it out on DVD under its original title Santo Contra La Hija De Frankenstein. It's a lot like the Paul Naschy films, or the Blind Dead films, or to a certain extent the Hammers. Low budget period piece with Santo thrown in for good measure. There's also many modern set ones in the 60's.

Samson vs. the Vampire Women (he was known as Samson in the US) is one of the modern ones that retained it Gothic atmosphere. It also made it onto Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. XXIV if you're willing to go that route.

There's also the Doctor of Doom / Wrestling Women vs. the Aztec Mummy double feature from Something Weird which seems to be available. It's English dubbed. Not Santo but a LOT like the Santo movies.