S-vhs

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I didn't hate the first one, but it could have been a lot better. Will definitely watch the second!

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

This one shits all over the original. A scary, intense and gory good time.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Saw this last night, and it was VERY entertaining :)
    It was also done a bit tongue in cheek, as I also got a bunch of laughs from it. It goes a bit over the top at times, but in a good way, that I REALLY enjoyed. Especially the third story that goes from really grim stuff to hilarity at the end :D

I didn´t find the wrap around or the first three stories to be THAT scary though, but the fourth by Jason Eisener, had some pretty damn intense moments. Both the creatures and the sound design in this one was great. This was the best part of the movie for me.

Except for the wrap around, which felt kinda pointless, I really enjoyed all of the stories, and it sure beats the crap of the original (even though some stories in the original was okey), so I´m really hoping for a third part, if the series will continue to improve like this. :)

Even if you hated the original, give this one a chance. It´s quality entertainment! :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought the first film was way better. The zombie and cult stories were really boring. The cult one just dragged on and on and on, I couldn't wait for it to end. I really liked the other two stories though.

It was much more polished, so it really lacked that dark, gritty feel of the first film. Only the first segment (the eye one) managed to recapture that feel of the original.

It was entertaining enough though, and if they keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em. I just hope they get a better line-up of director's next time.

5. killit

killit Active Member

thought the movie was fucking terrible EXCEPT Safe Haven which was AMAZING.:joshua::joshua::joshua:

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

V/H/S/2 was miles better than the first film (which was one of the worst films I saw last year). I actually enjoyed all the "tales" this time around, although AGAIN none of the shorts actually appear to look like VHS... I have no problem that they are not shot on VHS, but if they are being played off of a VHS tape they better damn well look like VHS, and if widescreen should at least be letterboxed 4x3! It's an interesting format for an anthology, but it should be called P/O/V/2 instead of V/H/S/2 as virtually every story is either mainly or entirely shot from a first-person perspective. I'll try and review the "tapes" without any real spoilers, so here goes:

"Tape 49" (Wrap around segment) - Directed by Simon Barrett
    The two private dicks are a lot less annoying than the idiot thieves from the first film, but it's still the weakest link of the stories and a rather disjointed wrap-around that's payoff is marred by the fact that if this wasn't broken up by the actual "tapes" it would have been a short loop with characters you don't care about what happens to them. 2/5

"Phase 1 Clinical Trials" - Directed by Adam Wingard
    The director of the wrap-around from the first film opens the "tapes" with the story of a man with an injured eye (played by the director himself) who gets a new eye courtesy of a new technology where he's signed on as guinea pig. He can now see, but the catch is everything in his new camera eye is being recorded for data purposes and sent to the company. And it may have some glitches, such as being able to see ghosts. A few jump scares but not really inventive or engaging. 2.5/5

"A Ride in the Park" - Directed by Gregg Hale and Eduardo Sánchez
    The producer and the director team up on this short, breezy "tape" involving a cyclist and his GoPro helmet camera as a leisurely morning bike ride has him encountering zombies. A refreshing dose of zombie carnage that's more rooted in black comedy than horror which pays off with its very interesting perspective. 3/5

"Safe Haven" - Directed by Gareth Evans and Timo Tjahjanto
    A group of documentary filmmakers are granted access to the secured remote compound of a controversial and secretive Indonesian cult. The longest of the "tapes" and also by far the best, Safe Haven is an absolutely insane horror short that packs punch after punch that is gory, shocking, and expertly constructed. Evans and Tjahjanto manage to build characters, layer plot, and manage to both disturb and entertain. All the different camera perspectives work, and the outcome of its execution is a roller coaster that is probably the single-best "horror film" of the year so far. If this had some more room to breathe as a feature film this could indeed have been a modern horror masterpiece. 4/5

"Alien Abduction Slumber Party" - Directed by Jason Eisner
    The title says it all. A group of kids with the house to themselves pull some slumber party pranks on each other, but in the middle of the night the prank is on them as a group of aliens decide to abduct them. The GoPro on the pet dog is an interesting perspective, but the strobing flashlights make things a little hard to see whereas instead of really seeing what is going on in the frenzy of the attacks we can only really piece things together from the sound design. It makes it chaotically intense, but not realistically sound. It's a touch too ADD filmmaking, although still a fun ride with some well placed laughs and jolts. 3/5

Overall, V/H/S/2 is a huge improvement over it's predecessor and pretty good overall, but it's still marred heavily by it's less-than-accurate title and portrayal of VHS. I'd be in for a third, but they really need to step away from the direct POV or "first-person-shooter" style of filmmaking. Somebody get these people a VHS camera and put it on their shoulder.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

A forgot to point this out. In regards to Wingard's segment, can anybody explain why:

Fucking makes ghosts disappear? Secondly, how did that punk lady figure that even works? Good to know if I ever move into a haunted house I have an excuse to get laid on a dime! :evil:

8. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Not being snarky or rude but are movies made for entertainment proposes. As much as I have a love hate for the horror genre. Sometimes it's better to just turn your brain off. :sperm:

9. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

This is playing at a festival in South Haven Michigan this weekend.

I am visiting for two days from Florida an just bought a ticket only $12!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Saw V/H/S 2 tonight. In a nutshell... The wraparound story stinks. The first segment isn't great, but it's short. The second segment is very good. The third segment is off the hook and should have been expanded to a feature film. The fourth part was well done. I had a feeling of being let down by the ending, but that will only work when the wraparound story works. Maybe part 3 will get it right. This was a huge improvement over V/H/S, so I would recommend part 2.

11. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

12. CPT HOOK

One is listed with 1 disc, the other with 2. So it's probably blu-ray only and blu-ray + DVD combo pack, like they did with ABCs Of Death.

13. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Makes sense to me -- updated my post.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I guess HDNet Movies isn't doing a sneak preview of this like they did with V/H/S. I do have a coupon for a free On Demand movie from U-Verse, I'll see it that way.

15. CPT HOOK

There are actually 4 blu-ray versions being released! Can you say OVERKILL?

R-Rated blu-ray only
    Unrated blu-ray only
    R-Rated blu-ray / DVD combo
    Unrated blu-ray / DVD combo

Plus there are two DVD releases, R-rated and Unrated.

Kind of ridiculous. Pre-orders for all 6 versions of V/H/S 2 are up on Amazon.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Do we really need a Rated cut of the film?

I bet Redbox demanded one. I remember Adam Green had to do a Rated cut of Hatchet II because Redbox demanded it.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

From artist Tony Moore:

[​IMG]

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll post my full thoughts on this movie tomorrow when I sober up, but in regards to your question Hatchetwarrior, I'm sure chicks will still have excuses not to fuck US in the midst of a ghost attack. Even if it's necessary for survival. Am I right here, fellas?

19. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

A man can dream Paff, a man can dream.

20. myhorror

myhorror Member