Room 237 Shining Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Jun 14, 2012.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

the moon landing is the only one you need to see but the whole thing was put together pretty nicely and cheaply

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Actually, I've seen YouTube documentaries put together far more professionally than this sorry excuse. Never mind the bullshit theories (Ullman's paper tray hard-on, Kubrick's face in the clouds, 2 x 3 x 7 = 42, ALL of the Holocaust references) this is probably the cheapest most retarded thing I have ever seen. That douchebag with the screaming kid in the background....how do you honestly keep that in? How are we suppose to take this shit seriously? And every time he talks he sounds like he is fucking stoned throughout. He giggles like a bitch after everything he says!

How about that sweet "not-to-scale" horribly inaccurate map drawn in MSPaint?...or random movie clips in various states of pixelated piss poor quality. I seriously have not the slightest clue as to how the makers of this documentary(?) conned MPI or IFC into getting this thing into theaters, VOD, and released onto BD/DVD. This thing has a poster, a soundtrack, it was shown in theaters, people paid money for this (including myself)...WHY?!?!

The soundtrack, however, is fucking amazing...almost worth sitting through this garbage. I mean its really really good. There's a short "Making of the Soundtrack" extra on the BD that was really nice. And the Panel Discussion at the Stanley Film Festival was really interesting too....far more interesting than Room 237. I'd say you'd be better off just watching that instead.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  3. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I bought this On Demand and turned it off 40 minutes in because I couldn't stand to listen to those pretentious doughbags a second longer.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Someone on the blu-ray.com forums posted this YouTube review, which is not only more entertaining and informative than the piece of shit Room 237 documentary, but better made as well.

My favorite part? Jump to 7:15.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it during it's theatrical run and I have to say it is far more revealing about the people being interviewed than in is about THE SHINING.As a slice on insight into the making of the Kubrick classic it's pretty shallow but as a view of obsession manifesting itself in a diverse group of people it's certainly unique,if a bit maddening.Some of the interpretations of the films "hidden meaning" ARE rather interesting,others seem like the type of discussions psychology majors might have in a dorm room after smoking some REALLY potent pot.A couple though,I swear I expected the camera to pull back to reveal that the person being interviewed was framed inside a padded cell.Somewhere I wonder if Kubrick isn't laughing his ass of about all this naval gazing regarding a film that,for him,probably seemed pretty mainstream.

6. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

It is on Netflix streaming now.

7. Franco

Franco Weekender

I agree with some of the people here. Turned it off after some minutes. There're "explanations" or interpretations that fall into the ridicule.

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Hahahaha..."this movie gets a 42 out of 237".

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

"Hey, if you play the movie backwards and forwards at the same time, some of the things match up... at certain times... but only sometimes..."

10. soxfan666

Just finished this and agree that almost everything is people grasping at straws, especially the Minotaur. I did like the bit about the moon landing though, even if it isn't believable.

11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Turned this off after half an hour total horse shit.

12. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I can't believe this POS got so many glowing reviews. I'm glad to see so many people seeing it as the nonsense it truly is.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Same here. This documentary summed up everything I hated about being a film major. Total over-analytical horse shit.

14. soxfan666

It is humorous to listen to each speaker explain there aha moments. Example: "I then saw the skiing poster an thought my god that's not a skier..."

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Drugs are bad. Don't do drugs. That's the message I get from this film, even more so than from the Krocodil footage that's making the rounds.

16. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Same thing happens to English majors. Grad students can really suck the fun out of literature.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I can't even count how many times I have watched Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Even saw it in a theater six years ago around Halloween. I however would not consider myself even the least bit obsessed with this film.

Obsession doesn't even begin to describe the participants of this documentary, who have likely watched this hundreds of times in some cases. I'm watching Room 237 right now & can't believe how pretentiously dull this is. Much as I love The Shining, I can't personally fathom ever wanting to dissect any movie to such an extreme. This is making me tired.

In the words of William Shatner while on SNL, these people need to "Get a life!"

I just turned this off during the moon landing portion & struggled to make it that far. Thankful this was a free dvd rental from the library.

18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I finally sat down and watched this. Wow. This has to be the most comically pretentious dissection of art ever--and that's coming from an English major who witnessed plenty of literary dick-measuring contests over the years.

There's plenty of research that proves people graft their own perspectives onto even the blankest canvases, but this flick takes it to a whole different level. It's far less about The Shining than it is about the hang-ups of the talking heads. It might seem less ridiculous if it focused on one semi-justifiable interpretation--but hearing so many different people futilely attempting to justify the most superficial and divergent theories one-after-another becomes funnier and funnier every minute. I have to believe the filmmakers realize how badly this plays. It must be one of those situations where you have to finish and polish a piece of crap out of desperation to recoup some of your expenses.

Whatever you do, don't PAY to see this. If you can catch it for free, you might get a few sick laughs out of it before you can't take any more.

satans-sadists likes this.
  19. dayglo

dayglo Member

I saw it years ago, described it as two hours of searching for stuff that was never there.