Room 237 Shining Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
  2. Spit

Spit Active Member

Never heard of it, but thanks for the heads up. I love that little making of documentary that Vivian Kubrick shot. It really points of how crazy Shelly Duvall was, and there are some great cuts which hint at her doing coke on set. I'll totally be checking this out.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thank you so much for the heads up on this. It doesn't mention anything about interviews with the cast, but I am very curious to see it nonetheless.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeah...I can't wait to see this.

6. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I saw this at the Toronto film festival and enjoyed it. It featured some pretty cool tidbits about the movie and lots of theories, some of them quite crazy.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I am always a sucker for a trailer that shows nothing. And this movie!!! Can't wait!!!

8. MorallySound

Not to mention it's a great homage to the original teaser trailer!

9. Korngold

Korngold New Member

If you're in the central NC region Jim at the Carolina Theatre just announced they will be showing this film... as a double bill with the shining!

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Trailer doesn't show jack or shit I don't know what to make of this yet.

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The AV Club gave it an A-

much more @ link

12. MorallySound

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Damn, the only screening around here is next Tuesday. Damn.

14. Chomp

This documentary seems to be stirring up quite the controversy.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I need to work on my reading comprehension skills.

It starts SHOWING in Chicago next FRIDAY; will find out for how long next week. I'll have to sit down and watch Eraserhead, The Brood and then The Shining before then. Like many I have my own theories.

16. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

After watching this I can see why this documentary is string up so much controversy because some of the claims made by the interviewees are outlandish and insane. The one theory I do agree with, and the one I came to the conclusion too several years ago, is The Shining is an allegory for history being doomed to repeat itself if we don't learn from the past.

But, many of the theories presented I couldn't disagree with more. One man claims the film is filled with hints and clues about the Moon Landing footage. According to this man, Kubrick was the one who directed the "fake" moon landing footage and points out various examples from the film that include Danny wearing an Apollo 11 sweater, how the carpeting is patterned after the NASA launch pad, and that the 237 room key, which says ROOM No. on it, is an anagram for "Moon Room" (I wish I was making this shit up). Some of the other theories include, but are not limited to the genocide of the Native Americans, the Holocaust, Minotaurs, screen dissolves that shows a janitor as a giant sweeping up the forest, the appearance of the number or numbers divisible by 42, among other things.

Now, all the interviewees make it clear they didn't notice these various clues and subliminal messages until viewing The Shining dozens, if not hundreds of times. That being said, just because you watch something a million times and start to see patterns doesn't mean they exist. I'm sure if you watched Deuce Bigalow a million times you could draw bizarre conclusions as well. Psychologists have a term for people who see patterns that aren't really there (I'm blanking on the name of that disorder) and clearly some of these people suffer from just that.
    Regardless of my harsh criticisms of the people involved and some of the theories presented, I still recommend everyone see it. At the very least it will make you think.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  17. Chomp

HAHA…That sounds nuts! I love outlandish conspiracy theorist stuff like this. I can’t wait to see this. I always thought the Native Americans one was true though.

I wonder if Stephen King as seen it yet and what his thoughts on it are.

Any news regarding a release on physical media?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  18. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

now I want to see a subliminal conspiracy theory ridden Duece Bigalow documentary. "That's a Big Bitch"

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I turned it off after getting annoyed with bullshit theories. There were a couple that I think are valid though. One of which I picked up on to a lesser degree myself.

I kind of don't feel this one deserves spoiler tags because of how annoying it is so take this as a warning, spoiler ahead:

The theory that The Shining is a commentary on the holocaust of Native Americans. The imagery is present throughout as well as the mention of the burial ground. What I didn't catch was a very clever fade where Kubrick goes from a stack of luggage to a group of people. As they pointed it out, I got where they were going before they explained so I think it was intentional. Also there's a scene where the Overlook fades to a custodian mopping the floor. The ladder next to him visually echos the roof of the hotel and is reminiscent of a tipis.

The other one I thought was interesting was the Danny / Dopey thing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw this at a Film Festival a couple weeks ago (followed by a midnight screening of The Shining). I thought it was fucking horrible, and I was pissed I paid $10 to see it on the big screen.

It's not even a movie, it's just an audio commentary that plays over clips from the film (as well as clips from various other movies including Demons). This is little more than a YouTube video or a DVD extra, not something that deserves its own theatrical release.

Just a bunch of people blowing their wads over what a genius Kubrick is. "Kubrick is such a genius because he strategically placed the typewriter on the hotel owner's desk in a way that it appears the hotel owner has an erection". Give me a fucking break. Do they actually think that was intentional?

Did you guys know that if you play The Shining forwards and backwards at the same time and overlap the images, there are maybe two or three moments in the entire two and half hour movie that bear a creepy correlation to each other? NO WAY! Kubrick is SUCH A GENIUS FOR DELIBERATELY DOING THAT!

The only two bits of information here that I thought were interesting were that Jack was reading a Playgirl in the hotel lobby, and that the TV they are watching doesn't have a power cord. I just saved you from wasting your money on this piece of shit audio commentary being passed off as a documentary.