Robocop (remake) trailer now online

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Diggin' the global scope! Looks fun so far.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The new trailer looks better but I'm not sure if this will be worth a cinema watch.

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It's a much better trailer.

I still think it looks ridiculous that they replace/encase his entire body yet they leave his one hand fully exposed. :hum:

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Egad, if that image is post production, it’s an epic fail. Because it looks like a guy in a suit, not a cyborg. Everything in the design looks like something to accommodate the form of a human wearer, not emphasize mechanized function over no longer existent human appendages. Worse, the style looks like the studio is trying to blatantly rip off Iron Man. Except for the color, on that I'm waiting for Graham Chapman to show up and chop off both arms and legs and leave him with no recourse but taunts.

The original Robocop suit/makeup effects made it look like Murphy's face was merged into the robotics - to rather creepy effect. This guy looks like he's just wearing a helmet. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered with keeping the center forehead section of the helm lined up with the center of the face - it's skewed and angled to the right. Again, all well and good for a guy wearing a helmet - not for a cyborg whose robotics and flesh are bonded together.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think this trailer is even worse than the other one,... instead of pushing the boring melodrama angle, this one makes it seem like we are about to witness a Zack Synder-esque bland, self-masturbating, Superhero-pukefest.

I seriously don't think I am going to be able to sit through this...Keaton or not.

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

No fucking way, no deal. The new trailer just confirms that everything that gave the original soul and character is gone. Where's the satire, where is the relevance, where is the excess? Garbage.

7. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

where is Paul Verhoeven when you need him?! i think this will be a serviceable sci-fi themed action movie but without any of the sparkle that the Original had, which is a damned shame

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

The new trailer makes it look decent. I'll definitely check it out, but don't think it's theatre quality. And I agree, he looks more like he's wearing Iron Man armour then being a cyborg.

9. Do you see

Do you see Member

Ever since I saw the first still with his new look I have had zero desire to see this. I am not against remakes/reboots whatever you want to label it but when you think of an iconic character (which I think RoboCop falls into that category, albeit contemporary) you get a certain image in your mind. This is not it. Maybe this movie would’ve been better off assuming its own identity and been titled something else. Whether this will be a decent movie, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Just not me.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I think it's pretty obvious that it's satire of military drones monitoring US citizens. It seemed pretty "excessive" to me. Unless you were being sarcastic. :eek2:

And to the point about the helmet: given the idea behind this Robocop is to sell Americans on these cyborgs, I could see them making a point to subdue the horror of seeing a guy that looks like his head is melded into a robot. In other words, realistically speaking, they would make efforts to hide the shit you're complaining about.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Overproduced action brain dead CGI pile of shit!

12. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Garbage. Pure garbage.

13. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Muh nigga for life mastatwister!

[​IMG]

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

That isn't satire, it's lazy writing. One of the things that made the original was the structure itself, just like Murphy wasn't a willing participant to become Robocop, the film itself is not a willing participant of the action genre itself. It was so over the top with tongue firmly in cheek that it became a cynical criticism not only of action films in general, but a cynical critique of itself. It's absolutely representative and poetic of the period it premiered.

No contrast to what we see here. Is it excessive? Well, in the same way Michael Bay is excessive. Now if you want to consider Michael Bay a Renaissance Man (which I somewhat do for other reasons), ok I understand. But what we are seeing is that the new Robocop is a willing participant of the genre, it's another superhero movie period. Hence... Garbage.

As for the drone thing, every science fiction film has touched on that for a decade, it's a convenient trope and a deep stretch to call "this" satire.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I see now you were making a subjective point. The Sam Jackson bit came off very satirical to me. To ask where the satire is, implies it went over your head which I thought was surprising cause you strike me as a smart guy. I didnt realize this was Michael Bay until you brought it up. His name has a stigmatizing effect. How could they not address something so relevant in today's politics when it fits so perfectly to the subject matter?

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Again, I draw your attention back to the trailer for the original Robocop. Nowhere in that trailer was any satire implied, but it was there in the final product in full force. When will people ever learn that you SHOULD NOT judge a film by it's trailer? You may well be right that it's missing the elements that made the original so great, but please wait until the movie is released before condemning it first. There have simply been far too many ad campaigns in the past that grossly misrepresented the films they're promoting.

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Exactly what I was thinking. Take a deep breath, folks.

Maybe they're just trying to make the film appeal to the masses instead of us genre fanatics--it would make sense from their perspective.

18. Chomp

I think the sans-satire is the least of this trailer's problems...the generic "insert sci-fi remake title here" vibe is much more off putting...as is the portrayal of Robocop being some sort of Superhero.

I think condemning a film's trailer in this day and age is very much warranted...9 times out of 10 if a trailer looks THAT bad, it will most likely resonate that the film will be equally bad if not worse. We have been burnt far more than we have been rewarded...ESPECIALLY when it comes to big budget remakes like this.

PS...Sam Jackson's character and the "drone aspect" in the trailer is not satire. Its a blatant and obvious attempt at social commentary. There is no wit, no sarcasm, no humor to any of those aspects. Its as blatant as Avatar was a commentary on the genocide of Native Americans.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

There are certainly some films that you can outright dismiss due to the trailers (the new Frankenstein film from the makers of Underworld being one of them) but subtle things like satire are generally not going to be on display in a trailer for an action film. It's inevitably going to play up the action scenes at the expense of all else.

Robocop has always been a superhero. I thought that was obvious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  20. Chomp

C'mon maybrick, its also obvious that was made AFTER the success of the film.

Jesus, sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing... even at the expense of sounding extremely petty.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013