Robocop (remake) trailer now online

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

The satire was a big part of the original, the suit looks like shit and murphy's death is horribly cliche and generic.

new and different my ass.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Ideally and in theory, you're right. But I'd hate to think just how rarely that's actually the case. If you see a remake and realize that it's an intelligently made film with a clear reason for existence, then that's something to celebrate. But I don't think the last 20 years have given us much reason to think that this is always or even often the case.

Remakes seem to be to the new millennium what sequels were to the 80's - a reliable way to use brand recognition to cash in on a fan base. The difference, though, is that sequels more often than not felt some pressure to establish some form of continuity, which I think a lot of people here respond well to. They also couldn't get away with exactly repeating parts from earlier films (flashbacks excluded). The modern remake is basically just a sequel where no one worries about continuity, and they can repeat popular scenes and catchphrases beat-for-beat whenever they want to.

This is all just academic, though. As far as the RoboCop remake goes, I'm not too bent out of shape. Like I said before, Keaton and Oldman are definite signs of potential quality.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

in 1 shot in the trailer you see Robocop jumping down from an appartment and it made me think of Iron Man, i hope they won't turn him into a superhero-kind-of-guy, in the original despite all the technological advances Robocop still had some limitations

also, the music score of the original will be very hard to beat, but i reckon that looked upon it in solitary, this movie will be 'good', but not on the 'classic' level of the original

4. deepred

deepred Member

Yeah, I dislike when people give something credit just because they did it differently. If they did it differently and really thought it out and it came out well, then great. (see: Cronenberg's The Fly). However, if they make changes but it doesn't add or really fit well with the story, why give them credit at all? (see: Bayer's NOES) I much prefer for a remake to stick with the strengths of the original material if they are just making changes to make changes (so they can say hey, this is NEW) which only ends up diluting the power of the source material.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people that are remaking these movies don't really understand what makes them so special to fans anyway. They tend to remake movies now on a very surface level.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It might be okay, but trailer looks pretty lame. It'll probably have good visuals and effects...but a crappy script.

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I can't tell how this will work. For me Robocop was a film that fit a particular and very specific time. And the satire was an integral part of making that film work.

However, I don't know if it will hold well for today's audience. With police brutality and abuse so widely documented these days, as well as the increasing paranoia of the surveillance state, will audiences really want to root for a super-strong cop doling out punishment?

Dredd skirted around this by alluding to the cycle of violence that the system was creating and giving us a villain that was simultaneously horrific and sympathetic. And even that film fared pretty poorly at the box office, despite being quite excellent and actually more of a spiritual successor to the original Robocop.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Personally that trailer didn't really jump out at me. It looked a little bland and the CGI seemed average.
    One of my bigger concerns that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet is the colour pallet of the film. It looks like it might be that bland colourless looks that a lot of modern film seem to think is cool (I had the same issue with Total Recall). I hope they throw some colours in there.
    Like many I'm not a fan of the black suit either. My main reason for this is he doesn't look like a robot in full black. He needs some metallic in there. Other than that I'm hoping there IS violence that at least makes it to the Bluray release.

8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is all wrong

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's my other issue, his face doesn't look deformed like it's attached to metal. Plus he was in a car explosion and has no scars on his face... they could have been more creative there.

10. Serega_M

Serega_M Member

This is a fucking abomination. Am not going to watch it AT ALL, to safe myself from bitter dissapointment. Some classic needs to be left alone, and all classical Verhoeven movies are in this department :(

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

12. thing

thing Well-Known Member

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Weller also had a nice supporting role in "Star Trek Into Darkness"

14. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

True, but then it would have reminded me of Frankenstein in Death Race 2000. But yes, it does look a little too perfect.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this. Watched Robocop 1 - 3 a few days back, been years since watching them. The first one is a classic, no doubt. I will approach this as I do every remake, give it a chance and not judge it too much on a trailer.

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I want to like this trailer but it just didn't do anything for me. That's not to say I wouldn't give the movie a chance if I saw it. It just doesn't have that "better than the original" feeling to it. Time will tell...

16. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The trailer to this was attached to Pitch Black 3 (I'm calling it that, anyway, which was junk BTW) - did zero for me. Looks like they pussied-out with how the cop is killed: a fucking car explosion? So we don't get to see another over-the-top kill like in the original? Wankers.

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

No... that is all....

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

19. Christy

Christy Member

I much prefer the original to this looks kind of dumb down.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013