Robert Eggar's "The Lighthouse"

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Synopsis: The story of two lighthouse keepers on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

RELEASE DATE: October 18, 2019

chancetx, Mutilated Prey and Workshed like this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Holy shit, is it mainly just the two of them? Looks wild.

3. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic!

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Theatrical I hope? October can't come soon enough!

5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

New Trailer.

MorallySound and buck135 like this.
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I love The Witch, so I'm all over this.

7. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Some new poster art, the film is releasing this weekend. Anybody planning on see it?

[​IMG]

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I saw this today. I really liked it quite a bit. It's definitely a film made by the same guy who did The VVitch. There's no doubt about that. But, it is more accessible. It has all the strengths of the previous film. The atmosphere is suffocating. The sound design is oppressive. The cinematography is beautiful. The language is dense, thick, and artistically authentic. The acting is top-notch. Defoe is suitably colorful, fragile, and vicious. And, I have to admit that it's been a lot of fun tracking Pattinson post-Twilight. He hasn't quite become a great actor yet, but he definitely is getting better with every film I have seen him in. It's also a much funnier film than The VVitch with a lot humor to be found in the bickering and power struggles between the two workers. While it certainly has nightmarish imagery and violence, the overall feeling really is more one of a black comedy than an outright horror film.

At it's core, it's about two men working together while needling each other to get at their secrets. And then crazy things happen. It doesn't quite pack the punch that The VVitch had at its ending. But, it certainly comes close. It also seemed a more referential film. Intentional or not, there are some good nods to Anti-Christ, Sunshine, and The Shining.

If you liked VVitch, you'll get more of what you were probably looking for. If you hated The VVitch, this probably won't be your cup of tea unless you can get into the toxic workplace drama. If you were on the fence about The VVitch, this might be a bit more enjoyable as the humor and character interactions are more relatable.

For me, Eggers is one to watch. I though The VVitch was a stunning debut full of vision and confidence. And this is an equally confident follow-up that continues his aesthetics while showing growth and originality.

9. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I cant tell you how many times I skipped over The Witch, Hereditary (A24) Films, then saw Midsommar (Directors Cut) and fell in love with this company and Ive been salivating over The Lighthouse, I'm going to see it this coming Saturday. I love Defoe and cant say Ive watched anything with Pattinson in it. Black & White and in a lighthouse I'm fucking there.

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the film being black and white but oddly enough I was really annoyed to see the 1.19/1 aspect ratio in the theater. Personally I found the film extremely slow and boring. There were only about 12 people in the showing I went to. One guy walked out about half an hour into the film. Then a couple left about half an hour after that. If you want to see a journey through a deranged mind go see Joker as it is far more entertaining. I've seen 75 plus films in the theater this year so far and this is on the bottom of the list. I will say that Dafoe and Pattinson both did a very good job of acting but that just wasn't enough.