Rob Zombie's Lords Of Salem

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

The Devil's Rejects and Halloween II were the only 2 I really liked. Sometimes directors can do weird and abstract and you know that they know what it means and it is up to us to interprit and then there is nonsense that is weird for the sake of being weird. LOS falls into the latter catagory.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

The DVD is released in the UK this monday... no theatrical screenings and no blu-ray.

3. marcx

marcx Active Member

Saw this tongiht and loved it--hope to have a review up on my blog soon living24fps.wordpress.com but let's just say this one mixes the moody artiness of kubrink and polanski with euro horror touches--love it.

4. jstell

jstell Member

I think it's his best film. Nicely paced and atmospheric with some striking imagery. And the characters are likable and sympathetic. Great use of music too - heading over to Amazon to order the soundtrack now.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I've never been a fan of his cinematic output but the fact that he's trying something new has my interest. It's playing here but I'll probably wait for it to be available on Netflix.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Im surprised its not playing somewhere near me - but Ill check this out when its released on blu- the reviews seem pretty split on rotten tomatoes but the concept sounds interesting to me - so even though some horror sites have dogged it there are enough positive reviews for me to give this a chance- it may be one of those "not what we expected" on some of the negative reviews. I would go check it out at the theatre if we had it local but im sure a blu release will not be far off for a limited release movie

7. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

8. marcx

marcx Active Member

9. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I saw this last night, and I really enjoyed it. This is my favorite of all his films so far. The poor reviews really put me off at first, but when I saw that it was playing locally I had to go. Great visuals, a very serious tone, and a really decent story gave this film a nice edge. Zombie appears to have evolved as a director, I would love to see more stuff from him like this. Even going in with low expectations I was more than pleasantly surprised and will definitely buy this on blu when it is released.

10. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Wow. There's 97 minutes of my life I wont get back. What a steaming pile. This movie makes The Innkeepers and House of the Devil look fast paced and action packed by comparison. Slow, boring and dull. Even Sheri Moon's nude shots can't save it. But, it was nice surprise to see Dee Wallace, and she still looks good these days too. Each to their own, but I would rather watch Zombie's H2 than this again.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I like this one from Zombie. It's got a lot of visual appeal to it and Zombie's writing dialogue has improved a lot. If it comes out on blu I'll probably pick it up.

12. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

It's not a perfect film, but there's a lot of interesting aspects. I would recommend all horror fans see this at least once to judge for themselves. I could go on and on about this movie, some of it is frustratingly bad, and other parts are brilliant, I love it and hate it at the same time. This was a step in the right direction after the (IMO bad) Halloween films.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Checked this out today and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really feel Zombie a huge fan of the genre and strives to make the films that we enjoyed watching in the 70's. He doesn't always hit the mark but at least he is aiming at the right place. Looking forward to watching this again when it hits Blu-Ray as I feel this one will grow on me even more.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  14. killit

killit Active Member

It's so sad that his best and just a amazing piece of work has basically been seen by no one. I've hated alot of his movies, but this was just amazing and it sucks I had to see it on video, when i know that the theatrical experience would have been beyond awesome.

15. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

This was a great film and probably his best work.

Most of the people who I hear dislike this are ones who never liked any of his work. Whereas the ones who like it are a mixture of past haters and sometime-lovers.

16. BiffWellington

BiffWellington New Member

Alright. So I'm new to the site & this seems like a good place to start posting. I saw Lords of Salem about 2 weeks ago & I absolutely loved it. I was not at all impressed with Zombie's Halloween movies but I did thoroughly enjoy House of 1000 Corpses & Devil's Rejects.

I really appreciate the direction he took with this one. It really screams "Argento" to me. Especially Suspiria. I had to immediately watch Suspiria & Phenomena. I can understand why a lot of people that I talked to didn't like it however. They were all expecting it to be like his earlier works. It wasn't, so they didn't like it. I did, however. It's not one that I'll go out of my way to watch repeatedly but if someone else is watching it or a lady friend wants to see it, then I would gladly sit through it again.

17. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Why is the price so high for this release?

19. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

I gotta think that price will drop. $36 for the blu of this turd!

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watched this last night. I enjoyed it decent enough. Great atmospheric piece.

A lot of people dog Zombie for casting Sherri Moon, but the way I look at it, you know he's putting his all into something that his wife is in. And Zombie is one of the few, if not the only one, who attempts to the keep likes of Kubrick and Naschy alive. Some may say it's "derivative" but what isn't? If you're gonna steal, steal from the best.