Rob Zombies Halloween III

Discussion in 'General' started by Bobbywoodhogan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Zombie is out. Carpenter is getting paid. I'm happy.

That seems like a pathetic endorsement, I know, but I am actually looking forward to another installment. It's been a bit of a drought for horror icons lately.

Steel76 likes this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It gotta be better than the shit we've gotten the last two decades ;)

But to be honest, I haven't truly enjoyed a Myers movie, since part 2 (1981).
    In part 4 he just looked like a retarded clown, which invoked laughter, instead of fear, even when watching it as a kid.
    Then it just got worse and worse. Even H20, felt like a typical 90:s teen drama, with Myers dropping by. Not even Jamie made it watchable.
    Resurrection, dropped it into reality TV land, which wanted me to eat a bullet. It wasn't even so bad it was funny, it was just painful.
    And then we entered Zombie's white-trash land, and I finally gave up on the series, since I couldn't finish more than 30 minutes of Zombies part 2.

The series got so horribly butchered, so I don't care if Carpenter is just there for the money, there gotta be SOME kind of improvement over the earlier trash?

I don't mean to step on anyones toes, if some of you love the parts I hated, just MY two cents ;)

buck135 likes this.
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I couldn't have said it any better.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Dave

Dave Pimp

I liked most of the Halloweens outside of Resurrection and the remakes. Truly hate Zombie's first one and refused to watch the second one. He got D. Harris naked and that counts for something, I suppose.

I'll give anything a chance but yes I see this as a cash grab for Carpenter and I don't really expect him to improve the outcome of the movie all that much.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

While it's cool that he is going to be involved on some level and may even write the film score, we should all take this information with a grain of salt. Remember: He was also listed as a "producer" on the FOG remake.

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'm optimistic about this film because if they don't do anything stupid, and it doesn't sound like they are going to, it can't possibly be bad. I would never expect a classic such as the original, but if Myers is just Myers the way everyone liked him and they can get a good character actor to do a Loomis-type, it's off to the races. Simple is good.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Oh, man, I had forgotten that small bit of history. We're fucked.

8. maybrick

At least one good thing came out of that movie: Rupert Wainwright hasn't been allowed to direct another one since.

buck135, Swampthing82 and Steel76 like this.
  9. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think Carpenter and Hill had very little to do with The Fog remake. I remember an interview with him blatantly stating he was in it for the paycheck.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

As long as Zombie has absolutely nothing to do with the film, I think there's solid hope.

I'd much rather watch a spider climbing a wall than watch his two Halloween embarrassments again.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Amen to this. Zombie's absence means much more to me than JC's likely half-hearted involvement. I'd rather see Michael in space than in Zombie's pseudo-70s netherworld where every male looks like a Metallica roadie and every female talks like Tony Montana yelling at coked-out Michelle Pfeiffer. Zombie clearly hasn't grasped the fact that no one rooted for Michael to kill everyone in Carpenter's original.

As much as I love JC, I'm not really excited about his return. He hasn't done anything of note since Cigarette Burns--and he clearly didn't want anything to do with this series as far back as 1981. H2 was all about the coin for him--and he's frequently admitted that his script was terrible because he had no interest in the project. And he has exactly changed his tune in the past 35 years. I suspect he's just doing what he can to ensure his grandkids never have to work.

But...despite my low expectations, I'll be happy to see any Michael who's not a 7-foot-tall bearded hobo driven by visions of horses (both the white one and Zombie's equine-headed other half).

Maybe, just maybe, they'll get this right.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Eh, Zombie's films weren't works of art or anything but at least he was trying to do something different for the most part where a lot of the other sequels felt the same. Plus I like his grindhouse 70's style. He's just not very good at script writing/ character dialogue. Stylistically his films are pretty interesting, to me at least lol.

othervoice1 and buck135 like this.
  13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Agreed. Have any of you listened to any of Rob Zombie's last few albums? Can it actually be classified as music? To me its only purpose would be to help drive rodents out of a home.

I didn't care for either (or any) of the Masters of Horror films. I did like The Ward however. Speaking of which, Amber Heard is back on the market. Just saying. :)

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm probably soft on Cigarette Burns because the score is cool in a vintage Carpenter way (even though it was supposedly composed by his son)--and Udo Kier is always a welcome sight. I only saw a little bit of The Ward and didn't connect with it, but based on your recommendation I'll have to watch it for real. Amber Heard can feel free to star in all future Halloween films. Could possibly prevent another T-T-Teee-Na Wendy Kaplan-type situation.

Zombie's music? Just say no!

15. maybrick

Zombie didn't have a Grindhouse 70s style. Carpenter did.

16. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Glad to hear Zombie is out and Carpenter is in...but my expectations are still low.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This film has me thinking about classic horror films in general. Any of us can list 100 must see horror films from Nosferatu to the Blair Witch Project. Looking back over the past 20 years, how many stand out horror films can be put in this category? The Ring, Saw, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, The Conjuring? More and more, horror films require a big star and/or a built-in brand name (i.e. reboot/remake like Halloween) to get green-lit, otherwise they are independently made. This Halloween film will be financially successful because it has Carpenter, the music and Michael. Like many of you said, easy money.

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

In response to the reassurance pile-on about Rob Zombie not being involved, have you guys seen Lords of Salem or Devil's Rejects? Do you plan on skipping 31? If so, fair enough but I have a feeling a lot of you went into his Halloween films with heavily guarded expectation and didn't give it a fair shake. His approach was a consciously different direction in that it went for the nurture over the nature angle(to be fair, the second film swung the other way). It's repulsive at first, but it's meant to be. After I realized this wasn't trying to be a straight up remake, I was able to be objective with it. And his films far exceed his music in terms of artistic integrity. Writing him off because you can't get into his tunes is quite dismissive.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The only movie from Zombie, that I enjoyed, is Devil's Reject, where his style fits the crazyness.
    But the problem is, when he brings the white trash, to the "normal" world, as it just doesn't work. His stuff should stay in "looney land", where it belongs.
    And everyone in his Halloween movies, was extremely unlikable assholes, even the new Laurie and Loomis, was hard to root for, thanks to that problem.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I didn't care for House of 1000 Corpses or the Devil's Rejects. That has more to do with my overall dislike with that 70's type horror (with the exception of TCM). I haven't seen Lords of Salem and know nothing of 31 on terms of story, but I wouldn't not watch them.

I've seen Rob live 12 times (4 times with White Zombie), so I've been a fan for awhile. I brought up his latest work because it goes where no man has gone before.