Rise of Skywalker (2019) non spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Loved it but not as much as Last Jedi. I watched it online and found it so bad it's awesomely good! It was like watching a train wreck and I'm morbid like that. This will definitely become a guilty cheese pleasure for years to come. I recal hearing this film had thousands of hours of reshoots. I can easily tell the stuff George Lucas changed. Hopefully a nice HD RIP from China will surface soon. Would really like to see this again. I never imagined Disney would make a horrible Star Wars film. This is like the holy grail can't stress how much I fuckin loved it! Bad dialogue, bad acting, bad story, love it, love it, loved it!!!!

[​IMG]

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

That image with the dogs is hilarious.

I'm in no rush to see this Star Wars movie. We seem to be lucky in getting the odd good Star Wars movie. I tend to like Rogue One and Solo. They aren't perfect but far better than the prequels or sequels. The secret to Rogue One and Solo might be that they are both around the Original Trilogy time period. So perhaps the people working on those know they need to step up a bit.

From what I've read about the new one, it seemed to be obvious to me that they didn't put enough thought into the story from the beginning with the whole homage Force Awakens movie.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Rogue One was my favorite of the post Return of the Jedi films whereas I disliked Solo enough that it is the only Star Wars film I haven't purchased on home video.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I really enjoyed this one, but I also really enjoyed the Last Jedi so take my opinion as just that. :D

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. I thought it was better than the last one. I enjoy all of them to some extent - but I will say The Last Jedi was my least favorite of the Disney Trilogy. And personally I liked Revenge of the Sith more than any of the new ones (although the other two prequels had a lot of issues- man I wish they had done more with Darth Maul.) Rogue One while being I guess kind of a side story movie was solid as well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I was right to go with my extinct, Rise of Skywalker was a blast and the perfect end to the main saga. :)

Definitely go see it. :)

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I really enjoyed Ep9. I knew of all the issues behind the scenes going into the film and was expecting a complete clusterfuck of a film. However I decided to just watch it and turn my brain off, therefore, I found it quite enjoyable. It actually renewed my interest for SW (TLJ did the exact opposite).

Of all the Disney films, I think Rogue One was the best. The main trilogy I thought was a missed opportunity. I know Disney nixed the EU when they took over, but they should have went with the Thrawn trilogy and adapted that (or something similar) rather than the route they went. Hopefully next time they actually plan out a trilogy of films rather than write them as they go along. Such a stupid way of handling a trilogy of films in a franchise.

Myron Breck and othervoice1 like this.
  8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Loved the art direction and effects. The cast was fine. Still felt it was meandering and had a thin plot.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'd call that a generous assessment.

Erick H., Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I thought EP9 was a huge mess. This is definitely my least favourite of the new trilogy, and didn't feel at all satisfied with the way they raced to tie every loose end up - plot holes/convience galore. While I'm no Star Wars mega-fan, this was still pretty terrible storytelling and a disappointing way to end the main saga.

Zombie Dude and dave13 like this.
  11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I thought I would hate Solo as well. And for the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the movie it wasn't that good. But eventually the actor started to become Solo for me and that's when it worked. I still don't like that Solo name origin though.

The people behind Rise of Skywalker know the story doesn't make sense. I see a few stories recently with people on the production coming up with excuses. The actor playing the bad guy thinking he was dead in Part 6. It's like Star Trek into Darkness all over again. Only it's Star Wars and the holiday release seems to be helping on the profit side.

The twist with the Emperor could have been handled far better throughout the whole series if that was going to be the real story from the beginning.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Force Awakens was a very serious version of Spaceballs. :D