RIP George A. Romero

Discussion in 'General' started by Franco, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Franco

Franco Weekender

George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77

"Legendary filmmaker George A. Romero, father of the modern movie zombie and creator of the groundbreaking “Night of the Living Dead” franchise, has died at 77, his family said.

Romero died Sunday in his sleep following a “brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer,” according to a statement to The Times provided by his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952’s “The Quiet Man,” with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-george-romero-20170716-story.html

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

A huge piece of horror history has gone with him. RIP George. :(

[​IMG]

Natas likes this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Such a shame. Day of the dead was one of the best experiences I've had in a cinema. RIP.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

RIP George. Very sad news.

5. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

RIP George :( Your Dead films will always hold a special place in my heart.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was fortunate to meet him several years back at a convention. He was so friendly and accommodating to everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

satans-sadists and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

8. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

RIP at whatever level you see fit, Maestro. Farewell...

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

RIP George. I used to be terrified of horror movies when I was a kid which stemmed from Freddy Krueger giving me nightmares for years after renting the newly released Freddy's Dead VHS at a sleepover with my older cousins when I was six years old. It wasn't until I was 11 when I finally decided to get over that fear and the first horror movie I rented to conquer it was Romero's Night of the Living Dead. It was amazing! Sure, it still scared the shit out of me but it started me on a lifelong passion and appreciation for horror movies, and genre film. As soon as I finished it I researched the movie and discovered there were two sequels and I tracked down the first sequel - Dawn of the Dead - from the local library. Dawn was even better than the original and absolutely blew me away and cemented me as a lifelong horror fan, and to this day is remains one of my all time favourite films. I can't even remember how many times I borrowed that tape from the library, but it was countless times until I was gifted a used Thorn EMI VHS for my birthday not long after from my folks. I've seen every Romero film and he was a master of his craft, and aside from revolutionizing the zombie in cinema, he also gave us one of the greatest vampire movies - Martin, an amazing motorcycle-medieval drama - Knightriders, the classic comic book horror film - Creepshow, among many others. He may have become pigeon-holed in the zombie genre later in his career which resulted in some films that weren't his best but they still continued on a legacy that he created. I can't say enough about how much Romero means to me in my discovery and appreciation of cinema as an art form, and how it influenced me on my career path working in film and television. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2007 at a convention and I was definitely nervous and tripping over my words as I tried to express my appreciation for his work and it's impact on my life. He was happy and gracious to his fans and I won't forget his signature sign off to me; "Stay scared, Tyler!" I'll be re-watching Dawn of the Dead this week for the umpteenth time. Cheers George! Thanks for the scares!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Erick H., studio1, Matt89 and 5 others like this.
  10. sade

sade Member

Now with him and Wes Craven gone.. Another part of childhood/teenagehood gone.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

He will still be roaming around

...like a zombie

.....on our tv screens for decades to come.

Steel76 and Franco like this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dawn of the Dead spins at CinemaPaff tonight too.

My story isn't much different than yours; As a little kid I was quite the chicken-shit when it came to horror. One night on late night TV (I might have been staying up for SNL, I don't remember), the TV spot for Dawn came on. You can see this spot on some of the special editions. It's the one that just contains the narration as the zombie head rises in the background. "In 1968, George Romero gave us...". I was self-trained to turn away from scary commercials like that, but this one seemed quite innocuous. But then there's that brief shot of the zombies reaching into the elevator. It really felt like the blood completely drained from my body. The lights remained on all night, and I doubt I got more than 10 minutes of sleep.

Now, flash forward a few years. After checking out every Stephen King novel from my library, getting a subscription to Fangoria, and finally having access to HBO, I'd done a 180 and was much more into horror. But something eluded me, and it was the movie from that commercial back in 79. VCRs weren't commonplace, and HBO wouldn't show something like Dawn of the Dead. Then in 1983, Creepshow got a theatrical re-release (man, remember those days? A movie from a year or two ago would get a semi-wide release again), and this time it was double-featured with Dawn of the Dead. I had to literally hitch-hike my way to the "dirt mall" theater, and after a fun revisit to Creepshow, on came Dawn of the Dead. And the words "blown away" doesn't even begin to describe it. It was one of those "disruptions" in life, when you have an experience that literally changes the way you see things. Now, the funny part is, it wasn't the Dawn we know and love; to get piggy-backed onto Creepshow it was edited down to an "R". Fans at the time cried foul, but I didn't know I was actually missing anything. I was mesmerized with the film, borderline obsessed. I began programming a video game on my TI home computer based on the game (never finished it, but it was pretty cool...You're in a helicopter blasting zombies. First in an urban area, then through rural, and in the final screen you blast all the zombies from the mall rooftop and land on the "H". At least that's how I planned it)

So yeah, as I was wondering how to honor George tonight, all those early Dawn memories came flooding back, and the choice became ridiculously easy. Thanks George, I truly don't think I would be the horror fan I am today were it not for your 1978 masterpiece, and I'll be remembering you with every frame. You really will be missed.

Workshed, buck135, chancetx and 4 others like this.
  13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

He had a nice, long life and career...but it still hurts. :( RIP sir.

14. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Sad news...R.I.P. Mr. Romero...Night, Dawn and Day have and always will stand the test of time.

satans-sadists likes this.
  15. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Damn... This one really sucks.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wow, unexpected...but smoking is a killer.

R.I.P. to a legend. :(

17. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Great tributes by MorallySound and Paff. I was late discovering the Living Dead movies but Creepshow was a huge influence when I was a kid. A huge loss for horror fans.

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Also met him at a convention and thought the same. You can only judge a person so much from meeting them once, however, he came off as a sincere gentleman.

And what a legacy. It is not just about his movies, but to think of all the movies that were made under his influence.

satans-sadists, Franco and buck135 like this.
  19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Beautifully stated. The sincerity Mr. Romero demonstrated in every interview was genuine. He will be missed.

x666x likes this.
  20. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Don't know which one stung more, this or Craven. Awful news. Sounds like an excuse for a holy trilogy zombie night on the projector this week. RIP.