Rewind This! VHS Boom & Video Store Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by lanemyer774, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

we are spoiled now with dvd and blu ray. but in the 80's we had cable and VHS, with no extras, no widescreen no remastered pictured. everything full frame. and we loved it. and didnt know any diffrence. I had no idea that most of the movies i watched back in those days were cropped... and missing picture. ha ha

2. BurningMoon

BurningMoon New Member

This looks fantastic! I support it 100%

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The older generations thought that we were spoiled back then, too. They couldn't believe that we could now walk down to a store and for a paltry $2 and see films any time we wanted to. Up until then, once a movie left the theaters nobody knew when (if ever!) they would see it again. Popular films would inevitably get shown on tv or a new theatrical re-release, but if you were into more obscure films you were usually out of luck.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

5. Risky1975

Risky1975 New Member

Awsome.... I will be preforming down @ SXSW.. so im def try to go to that screeening cant wait!:banana:

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to check this out. Interviews were filmed with the staff at my local video store, Scarecrow Video, which still carries hundreds of VHS titles that were never released on DVD.

7. MorallySound

Scarecrow Video is the first place I plan to check out whenever I make it out to Seattle.

I helped co-ordinate some of the Canadian interviews for the doc, and actually shot a small amount of footage that might appear so I can't wait to see the finished film!

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Fuck that...most of those interviews look like they are from a buncha hipster collectors who weren't even alive during the birth of VHS. They even threw in a faggy old clip of a Timpone interview. LAME!

I applaud their attempt, but Rewind This! looks like a better representation of what a documentary film about VHS renting should be about...plus it has UP-TO-DATE interviews with big name people who were behind the scenes of it all and relevant to the subject at hand. Not just some d00d wearing a stocking hat talking about how cool the Wizard Big Boxes were. ZZZZZzzzzzzzz....

Although I saw a brief shot in that Rewind This trailer of a familiar tattoo that I didn't like. That "Never Forget" tattoo...the only person that I know who flaunts that tattoo like its a goddamn purple heart from Iraq is that douche bag running Massacre Video. Hey that's cool, he has plenty of time to model his ugly ink for this documentary, yet hundreds of people (including me!) are still probably waiting on fucking merchandise they ordered from this dickhead. Fuckin' A.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

i remember in sept of 1982 , i just turned 10, my brother was trying to rent me Star Wars for my birthday at this little shoebox video store, and they only had 1 copy and to buy it was like 100 dollars. which in 1982 was a lot of freaking money. We waited almost all day and most of the next. it never came in.. The one person who rented probaly stole it.. ha ha

10. MorallySound

Rewind This! has VHS collectors interviewed, I know more than one of them that are featured in the documentary. Sounds like you just wanna see collector's talk about their collections, and not learn about the history of the format...

Adjust Your Tracking is being made by the guys that run VHShitfest and are indeed youngins, born in 1990... So yes, it will be much more amateur and low-brow, but potentially still entertaining and interesting.

That is not Louis from Massacre with that tattoo. That is Zack Carlson, a now ex-programmer from the Alamo Drafthouse family. Lots of people have the same or similar tattoo. I have a VHS tattoo myself, which can be seen in the Tattoo thread.

11. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I prefer to be called a movie collector. It just so happens that some movies are only available on VHS. I do occasionally like the box art aspect as well. But I don't want to be identified as one of those people nor do I want anything to do with that subculture that seems to be sooooo sweepingly hip these days.

My mistake then...on that account, knowing I don't have to watch or hear that mouth breather makes this documentary all the more worthwhile.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  12. MorallySound

[​IMG]

Official poster. And it's pretty damn amazing!

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Beautiful. Can't wait to watch it.

14. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Went up to Stroudsburg, PA over the weekend to Severed Cinema's VHS Weekend and finally caught a screening of ADJUST YOUR TRACKING. As one of the interviewees, I'm probably a little biased, but I thought it was a damn fun flick, starting with a little bit of history but then delving into the whats, hows, and whys of a whole coterie of collectors. If you're even remotely interested in those dusty old cassettes or cult films in general, you should find a lot to like here. Check out their website to see if it's playing near you!

Screening Schedule:
    http://www.adjustyourtracking.com/screening

Trailer:
    http://youtu.be/vvGNfx0TaE4

[​IMG]

15. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

There's actually a third VHS doc in the works, this one from the director of the recent festival favorite EUROCRIME! THE ITALIAN COP AND GANGSTER FILMS THAT RULED THE '70s. (Which I'm dying to see!)

As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too many VHS documentaries, and Mike Malloy's PLASTIC MOVIES REWOUND: THE STORY OF THE '80s HOME VIDEO BOOM covers the tape revolution with encyclopedic thoroughness. Dissecting the format with six distinct episodes like the "Golden Age of Mom-and-Pop Video Stores" and "Filmmakers Versus Distributors," PLASTIC MOVIES REWOUND charts home media from its inception to its proposed future -- and everything in between. Of course, as it's reaching its final stages, the production needs a little more green to keep the cameras rolling, and that's where you come in. A little can help a lot, and you'll look cooler with another IMDB credit. Bigger donations score you some sweet signed videos, vintage 'zines, copies of the finished doc, and more. So click the link, watch the promo reel, and decide for yourself if it's something worth investing in. Less than a week left and only $1,200 to go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355529084/plastic-movies-rewound-definitive-doc-on-80s-video

[​IMG]

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

17. fattyjoe37

I'll be there! But as for yet another VHS doc, can't say I'm too excited. Feels like we'll get a lot of people jumping on this bandwagon.

18. fattyjoe37

I saw Adjust Your Tracking last week at the Grand Illusion Cinema in Seattle. It was a lot of fun and I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I'm still anxiously awaiting watching Rewind This this weekend. Although it was fun seeing VHS collectors in AYT, a history of the format and home video in general just sounds a lot more interesting to me. But it is cool that there are multiple quality docs out there exploring different avenues of the same subject.

19. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I saw Rewind This over the weekend at a local theater. Really enjoyed it and so did my wife. I'll have to seek out Adjust Your Tracking soon.

20. MorallySound

I screened the film locally the other week, and also enjoyed it. Was stoked to see my one-second cameo on the big screen!

Anyway, for those who do want to see it, it's now available on iTunes (if you're in either the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand) as of today for limited time: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/rewind-this!/id678902502