Return To Salem's Lot Is Larry Cohen's Worst Movie???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Dec 23, 2004.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Well, if you thought ISLAND was a great movie, then you'll love RETURN. Maybe.

Btw, I don't know if any of you have noticed but this thread is almost 4 years old. I only resurrected it to ask... "Where the hell is this movie on DVD?"

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

No shit. I want to see it, no matter how much people trash it--maybe even more so now.

4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, I was going through it and thinking, "this seems familiar". Anyway, I haven't watched Full Moon High in a very long time now. I should watch it again. I watched Return to Salem's Lot very recently and it still delivers. Weird to see a young Tara Reid as a vampire. Sam Fuller steals it all with his performance though. "I'm not a Nazi hunter, I'm a Nazi killer!"

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

From memory ( a long ago rental) I found RETURN to be kind of fun and Sam Fuller was a stitch.
    My opinion of ISLAND OF THE ALIVE improved considerably when I saw it again in widescreen on DVD.The compositions are much better.I guess my least favorite of Cohen's films is WICKED STEPMOTHER (which turned into a mess after Bette Davis quit shortly after shooting began).I did enjoy Laureen Landon though.I've chatted with her,she was very nice.
    Still haven't seen FULL MOON HIGH.

6. maybrick

That's EXACTLY the phenomenon I found with RETURN! If you have a widescreen tv, even if they never release it on DVD, you should track the movie down on VHS and watch it matted to 16:9. It's an AMAZING improvement!

7. DVD-fanatic-9

She is great in that movie, isn't she? Another reason I don't hold it in such contempt is - it's a supernatural horror-comedy. Those movies are almost always bad. But I had fun with Wicked Stepmother. I cringe at some moments, but mostly I like it.

I blind-bought It Lives Again and Island of the Alive on DVD. Since they were together and I much enjoyed Island, I wasn't disappointed with doing so. I will pick up Return on a moment's notice, if Warner ever freaking releases it!!

8. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Wicked Stepmother is his worst, by far.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I would love to get this fun "sequel" on DVD! Big fan of Cohen's quirky writing and Michael Moriarty. They were a good team in the 80's. Kinda cool that it was taken in a different direction even though a sequel based on King's "One For the Road" would've been interesting to see. Some of the vamp effects were awful. (The creature attacking the punks in the woods. Ugh!) Fingers are crossed for a Halloween release!

11. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I've actually never been dissapointed with a Cohen film. Sure some are better than others but Return was actually pretty enjoyable. I always liked the Cohen / Moriarty combo.

12. Spit

Spit Active Member

I'm glad this thread popped up. I have this on VHS and have only watched it once and wasn't impressed. From reading this though, I think i'll plug it back in tomorrow night and take another look. Thanks guys,

13. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I saw it letterboxed on TV years ago now, can't think what's keeping Warner from releasing it. It's not a very good film but it's a lot of fun to watch, for all the wrong reasons, from direction to acting. One of my guilty pleasures for sure.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thought I'd revive this as it's the newest thread devoted entirely to Cohen's film. Saw this yesterday with Chunkblower after his strong recommendation -- was not disappointed. Pretty wild little movie. It's gets a little long in the tooth at the end (could have easily shaved 10 minutes off that 100 minute runtime) but for the most part it's got a really off-kilter morality to it that makes it compulsively entertaining. Like Michael Moriarty is probably the worst dad ever in a horror movie - certainly the worst that's supposed to be the hero, anyway. Multiple times he just ditches out on his kid, who he knows is in danger, to bone some dangerously-close-to-underage chick. Later he asks his kid if he got laid last night - the kid is like 12 tops, and the girl in question (And Introducing Tara Reid...) was 10 (TEN!) when the movie was filmed. Add in Moriarty's trademark I'd-rather-be-somewhere-else brand of indifferent acting and it really made the whole thing amazingly surreal. The kid was no Oscar-winner either...I was joking that during those car scenes ON THE WATERFRONT this movie ain't. Actually, speaking of the car scene...dad of the year: Moriarty lets his 12 year old drive while he lies down looking away out the window.

Was a great surprise to see Sam Fuller chomping that Stogie and literally chewing the scenery as the Nazi hunter - what a wild role in a wild movie! Fuller's one of my favorite directors and it's always great to see when the greats act for other directors (like Truffaut in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND). The rest of the performances were pretty accomplished, and you can see Tara Reid honing her flat, Razzie-worthy line delivery at a young age. What I also liked in the film was some of the perspective and insight Cohen brought to the Salem story and to the vampire sub-genre in general, like the whole bit about weening on cattle but really preferring human's blood, or how the vampires sought legitimacy by enlisting in an accomplished writer to profile them. Just plenty of insight about things you never really consider when approaching these age-old sub-genres.

All in all a real fun flick that exists well on its own apart from Hooper's mini-series. Far from Cohen's worst - it might even be in the upper echelon.

We watched the Xbox Movies download, which is widescreen and good quality and a good alternative to paying the hefty fee to bring those Warner Archive discs into Canada.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Just love this since my childhood days.

16. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I think this holds up better than the original. :D

17. sade

sade Active Member

Count me with the few folks that LOVEd "Full Moon High". It's wacky and it's got this "Airplane" sense of humor.

18. rift

rift New Member

Loved Return to... as a kid, would love to watch it again some time

19. DVD-fanatic-9

But not just anybody can make that kind of movie, as every single spoof of the last 11 years has proven. Several of which made by the Airplane! team themselves.

Not Another Teen Movie being a surprising exception to the rule.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  20. maybrick

Every film has it's audience but, for me, comparing Full Moon High to Airplane is a slap in the face to the Zucker Brothers. It's no wonder in my mind why it was shelved for a number of years. It's awful and hands down the worst film Cohen has made. I just don't think he is really made for comedy. Probably the best film of his that I've seen was his first: BONE.