Remake of The Stepfather

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Apr 20, 2007.

1. make believe

make believe New Member

This thread has made me want to see Stepfather III again. I remember it being entertaining on a cheap direct to video sort of way. It did have Priscilla Barnes in it at least.

Thankfully they released the Stepfather on DVD but I'm not thankful what they did with the artwork.

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I really have no plans on seeing this. It sounds pretty bad. As someone else acknowledged, at least it brought the release of the original on DVD.

3. Stige

Stige Active Member

my god it was awful

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I saw the trailer, and that was plenty enough to tell me that I have absolutely no interest at all in even watching it.

It's rare that a trailer in itself would put me off so much, but this seriously looks worse than a bout of constipation.

5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Saw this last night and I have to say it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it was going to be. Sure it was tame, but what do you expect from a PG13 horror film. Overall I thought it was just ok and could have been far worse.

The only thing that I can say "annoyed" me was the fact that the movie was trying to pull this Jedi Mind Trick by having Amber Heard practically naked the whole time so they could distract me from how bad it really was. Nice try movie, nice try.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Even though I posted a while back about this remake. Judging it before actually seeing it first.

I will say now, that it wasn't that bad. Maybe it was the fact I haven't seen the original in a real long time, but this was pretty decent. The lead did a good job & I'm a Sela Ward fan so, yeah I liked it, ... there I said it.

7. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I thought this movie was pretty heinous, guys. I remember seeing this with my friend when it first came out and we were just appalled at how P.C. the whole film was. Look at the death scenes! I remember one scene where the stepfather kills someone by simply grabbing thier nose for 3 second and then they pass out dead and another time where he drowns someone fro all of 6 seconds (if even that) and they are instantly dead. WHAT???

Don;t get me started on Amber Heard's character. Why was she in the film again? She had no point except to be featured in a bikini, a bra, a pair of panties, etc. in EVERY scene. The girl only wore normal clothes in her very first scene. AND doing college application by the pool? It's just obviously written by someone who apparently never was a teenager. Teenagers don't hand out in bathing suits and fill out college applications by the pool. Hell, even the worst of the 80's slasher flicks got that right.

I'm a fan of first two original films and I'm always open to the idea of good remakes, but this one just had a lot of wasted potential. I thought the cast was actually stellar and game to do something different. Such a shame. I should have know, being from the lovely writer/director team that brought us that treat Prom Night.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I think they corrected that in the Unrated Director's Cut, as those scenes last much longer.
    I thought this was a bit better than the Prom Night remake. This one obviously has it's flaws as well but I found it to be a little more enjoyable.
    The lead was haming it up to the point of making my eyes roll but other than that it was an ok timewaster. Definitely rental material though.

9. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

I really liked this. One of the better remakes so far. Of course it's tame, but still had some decent suspense. 3.5/5.

-MATT-

10. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

As for the unrated death extensions...the director said on the commentary during the old lady kill that they filmed "much more" than what was on the unrated version for the murders,but decided to pull it back...Why the fuck do these companies label a disc unrated,if there's more they aren't giving us?

I don't care if you don't think it needs the added gore as a director.I don't particularly want to see a longer cut of a nosy senior citizen get smothered..but this one stunk of PG-13 even on disc,opening dead kid shots aside.

The fact is,your movie isn't that great to begin with..subpar,even. Aside from Sela Ward's admirably subdued performance,the flick offered little. The additional grue and much discussed buzzsaw -down- the-attic hatch- scene might have made this one memorable.

Might have.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this tonight and thought it was OK, better then I expected and much better then the Prom Night Crap fest. Nothing wrong with some mindless fun every now and then and this did an antiquate job. You can do WAY worse.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  12. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Just saw this the other night and I couldn't believe what a piece of shit it was! Waaay too long and dragged out, and the son and his girlfriend were so annoying. Terry O' Quinn will always be THE ONLY STEPFATHER!:evil:

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Can hardly remember the original.
    This remake was pretty damned good in its unrated form. I enjoyed the hell out of it, not really horror but a good suspense film. The tension reminded me a bit of The Orphan.

14. make believe

make believe New Member

I finally got around to watching this remake, not sure why but I did.

It was just so utterly pointless. The clown who played the Stepfather was weak and the rest of the characters were pretty annoying. If their plan was to throw away everything good about the original and make something bland with terrible casting and inferior storyline instead then I guess they succeeded. Someone earlier said it was like a Lifetime movie and that's about right, a Lifetime 'after hours' movie.

Also, there was no need for it to be 2 hours long. They could have just cut out everything in between the opening and closing credits.