Relatively obscure horror films you enjoy and where to find them.

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Wow, did not know about the Scorpion release-thanks for the heads up. On another note, the OOP Rhino release is fetching $44.00 on amazon.
    The collection I mentioned is still available at an affordable $6.95 as well.
    Cult Terror Cinema (12 movie collection) has it paired up with The Crater Lake Monster which I like as well.
    Both me and the wife love The Hearse.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Screams of a Winter Night. It's on Youtube even. I grew up watching it but no one ever seems to remember it. Great,eerie late night 70s/80s style film. Highly recommended for people who like stuff like Let's Scare Jessica to Death,Race with the Devil,etc. kind of creepiness.

3. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Still waiting for releases of films like Blood and Lace,Jennifer,etc. and made for TV flicks like Black Noon,Don't Go to Sleep,Crowhaven Farm,The Intruder Within,etc.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Sennentuntschi: Curse of the Alps (2010) - Psychological Horror/Thriller with 1970s setting based on old Swiss legend. Sexy, disturbing and even a bit gruesome. I really enjoyed this one. Seems to be only available on Blu-ray in Germany. The disc is Region free, and comes with English (!) Subtitles.

We Are the Night (2010) - Stylish and engaging German female vampire flick. Most likely one of the better German horror movies in recent years. It's only available on Blu in Germany and France.

Saint Nick (2010) - This one is available on DVD in the States, but I read only with awful dubbing? The German Blu-ray looks and sounds gorgeous. Fun, bloody supernatural holiday slasher.

Vinyan (2008) - There's a U.S. DVD, but the film really benefits from HD. Sadly the German Blu is region locked.

House of Fears (2007) - Not great but a decent effort. I have a huge soft spot for this one. I believe the German Blu is Region Free for those interested to watch House of Fears in HD.

Vanishing on 7th Street (2010) - I don't quite understand why this one is so disliked. Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Not really rare or obscure, but it certainly deserves better.

The Nun (2005) - I totally hated this movie on my first viewing but The Nun kinda grew on me over the years. I was more than excited when a German Blu release was announced. The movie looks stunning in HD and is presented in it's correct aspect ratio (2.35:1) unlike the zoomed/cropped U.S. Lionsgate DVD. Fun flick with Final Destination-type kills and one hell of a creepy ghost killer Nun!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  5. Anthropophagus

I watched Screams of a Winter Night last year on youtube and thought much of it was really well done. Enjoyable.

6. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Comparing Let's scare Jessica to death to that bore fest SoaWN! That's like comparing champagne to a $1 Taco menu at Taco Bell.

WTF were you ass drunk while watching it?

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

How about this, has anyone seen The Spectre of Edgar Allan Poe (1974) and how can I find it? :D

8. sade

sade Active Member

See above.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I remember when this played in the theater. I cut the ad out of the paper. Never did see it but I like the poster.

Attached Files:

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

We are the Night (2010) - Stylish and engaging German female vampire flick. Most likely one of the better German horror movies in recent years. It's only available on Blu in Germany and France.

This is actually available instant streaming on Netflix.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Since we're mentioning recent movies, these aren't obscure, but I loved the My Super Psycho Sweet 16 trilogy. I think most horror fans didn't give them a chance, because they're teen oriented and aired on MTV (not to mention the source material, My Super Sweet 16, GAG!).

I was really surprised by them, because they turned out to be extremely entertaining slasher flicks with a fast-pace and fun gory kills. Kind of along the lines of the Sorority Row or Black Christmas remakes, for those who enjoyed them.

Just thought I'd throw them out there, because I'm sure most people passed them by due to the title. It has nothing to do with the MTV series aside from the title, it's a slasher movie that takes place at a girl's sweet 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJozQzD5ZLY

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Not commenting on your post really, but I fucking love the avatar. One of the all time best FG moments!

13. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

:eek:

[​IMG]

14. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This is Sint right?

The DVD in the states had an English dub, but it also had the option of playing it with the original Dutch audio.

I have the Canadian Blu-ray released as just "Saint" — and that has a fantastic transfer also...probably from the same source as the German Blu-ray. It also has a Featurette which the US DVD lacks.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Yup, that's the Sint I meant.

18. Anthropophagus

No, but once I dropped acid and swore I saw a large white dog spanking a woman's ass.