Ready Or Not - August 23rd

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 17, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Ready Or Not - in theaters August 23rd

So... this looks amazing!

hots4, baggio, Workshed and 1 other person like this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Directors:
    Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett
    Writers:
    Guy Busick, Ryan Murphy
    Stars:
    Samara Weaving, Andie MacDowell, Mark O'Brien

The lead is from The Babysitter, and she reminds me of Margot Robbie. Into this.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

Also Ash Vs Evil Dead, Mayhem, Three Billboards, and the upcoming Bill & Ted.

Workshed likes this.
  4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks fun.

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Looks like a mix of You're Next and Get Out.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah the dark humour and setting definitely give me You're Next vibes which is great. This looks like a lot of fun. Count me in! :D

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Saw the matinee today in a large theater with a small crowd. It was entertaining and went by quickly at only 95 minutes. The film earns it's R rating and I'm really glad the trailer didn't give away the twist ending. Worth a theatrical viewing.

chancetx likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

I also saw Ready Or Not today and thought it was a lot of fun. I think I preferred You're Next, but it's still well worth checking out. They played this trailer A LOT at the theater over the past few months, and the first half of the movie is basically the trailer. So I did spend the first half waiting for the movie to catch up with what I already knew. Once it does though, it's a great little cat-and-mouse thriller. It's very tongue-in-cheek and I LOVED the ending. I was already a fan of Samara Weaving before this movie, but I get why they keep casting her in horror films. She has a pretty amazing scream! She's really great here.

Definitely don't read this until you've seen the movie, but if I had a gripe with the movie it's
    that they should have offed a main character earlier in the movie to raise the stakes. The movie was entering the final reel and all the major players were still alive. I was expecting more of a slasher approach, where Grace is picking off these evil family members one-by-one in self-defense. There's cat-and-mouse thrills, but she doesn't exactly rack up a body count. Any time they needed to off someone, they would bring in a random maid. But then again, having so many characters left standing made that ending, um, much bloodier...

Ready Or Not is an R-rated studio horror film that isn't a remake or a sequel or a Conjuring spin-off. Give it your money.

chancetx likes this.
  9. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Saw it today and had a lot of fun. I agree with CPT Hook's review and gripe but on the other hand I did not expect that ending. Definitely worth the ticket price and I look forward to revisiting it.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Saw it with 3 other people and we all loved it. Just fun as hell from beginning to end. No issues on my end. My jaded ass was never bored.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw a trailer on TV and put this on my list. It looked more funny horror and I noticed the actress from a few episodes of the Evil Dead TV show.

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Joining in the chorus of "a lot of fun". Also agree that it had a "You're Next" vibe that didn't quite help. But, this is played more for the humor anyway, so it's different enough that the comparison, didn't hurt too much. Weaving definitely carries the show and despite the obvious Robbie similarities in appearance, between this and Babysitter, she's got some great charisma and talent. I'd also add that production values were really high for this one. The sets and camera work were really quite impressive. I think the only complaint that I had was that I was expecting the humor to be sharper. It's certainly got it's heart in the right place and does a decent enough job, but I wish that it had just been a tad more clever. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it was a good enjoyable time.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. The film was well cast and produced .I thought it had some of the vibe of a good TALES FROM THE CRYPT TV episode in that it was effectively violent at times but maintained a quirky sense of humor throughout.