Question on EVIL DEAD DVD(s).

Discussion in 'General' started by swr2777, Aug 10, 2010.

1. swr2777

swr2777 New Member

Hello, all. I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me on the following.

Alas, after having purchased it in the Spring of 1999, my original Elite DVD special edition of THE EVIL DEAD is faltering during playback and needs to be replaced. (To be specific, the outtakes and trailer have no sound.)

Of course, I'm aware that, since the release of that Elite DVD, we now have an abundance of DVD releases and special editions to choose from...particularly from Anchor Bay. Yet, it seems hard to pin down exactly which one I should get to replace the Elite one.

One thing particularly important to me is having a full-frame presentation, as the 1.85:1 just seems too unnaturally cropped for my tastes. I see that the 3-disc Ultimate Edition has this. But does anyone know if commentaries featured on that are the same as on the Elite version, or were they re-recorded? Also, is the feature known as "Treasures from the Cutting Room Floor" the same batch of outtakes on the Elite disc?

Any other thoughts on the options for this one? (Some say the "Book of the Dead" version is best, some say the Ultimate Edition, and some say the overseas Anchor Bay releases are best because they're apparently untweaked without the zooming in on Ellen Sandweiss and removal of the lightning shot.)

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The R1 UE is the best choice to get the full screen edition. It features no tweaks.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's not your disc. It's a known defect. There was a replacement program back in the day, but they never responded to my email regarding the topic a year ago.

As far as which version is best, it's a matter of personal opinion. I love the Elite DVD and will never get rid of it, but I'm looking forward to the new Blu-Ray.

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Ultimate Edition has the most extras and all the commentaries and deleted scenes of previous versions. Unfortunately it is missing Bruce Campbell's great documentary Fanalysis, which can only be found on the Book of the Dead edition.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Or the other edition with the Ladies of the Evil Dead booklet that was released at the same time if you know how to navigate through titles and chapters well.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah unfortunately if you want everything it looks like you need the UE, the Book of the Dead edition, and the new Blu Ray. Like I mentioned in another thread, it's too bad the Blu couldn't include everything, as I hate owning more then one copy of a movie, let alone three. If you only want one, I would hold out for the Blu, other wise grab the UE as it has two commentaries instead of one, and a few extras that are missing from the Blu.

7. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Anyone one know if the blu ray will be region free or not ?

8. make believe

make believe New Member

The Ultimate Edition contains the full frame version untweaked. The Elite disc you own unfortunately has those edits in them but picture wise it's considered to be the best.

You may want to check out the Treasures Collection disc as well as it offers more a little more picture on all sides and the colors are different than all the other releases. It is also free of any of those edits.

here is an explanation of the various versions

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/the_evil_dead_dvd.html

9. springjack

springjack New Member

You should check out this version. It?s great...
    ________
    Sc2 replay

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I never purchased the Ultimate Edition knowing full well that a Blu-Ray edition would be on its way. I've made due with a copy of the THX DVD and the Treasures DVD. I'll purchase the Blu-Ray when released and may give up my THX DVD, but I'll be hanging onto the Treasures DVD as it still contains some unique features.

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I almost hate to say this, but one secret extra feature I'd love on DVD or Blu Ray some day is how the film looked on VHS...the special effects were somehow obscured and more effective by the dark transfer.

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Recreating the "analog" look proves, unfortunately, nearly impossible on DVD & Blu-Ray. The best they could do is a dark transfer and low-res- but to be honest, it would come out looking more like a YouTube video than a VHS.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The effects have never been a problem for me. I've always been of the opinion that The Evil Dead is an exceptionally made film, especially considering that it was basically made by a bunch of kids.

14. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Could someone explain the "zooming in on Ellen Sandweiss"?

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Why did it stop working? Did it just quit? I have the same DVD and haven't played it in ages. I've had DVDs just stop working, like Universal's The Thing DVD and I was able to get a replacement from them. I've said it before, but I'm of the opinion that the companies should replace these discs for free no matter how old they are. We were fed a bill of goods that DVDs have a 100 year life span. If it is stored properly and doesn't have any scratches on it, there is no reason it shouldn't last for your lifetime. I have VHS tapes that are 30 years old that play fine!

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

My Elite disc, before I sold it a few months ago, played perfectly fine and I had owned it for almost ten years.

17. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have the Book of The Dead and Ultimate Edition DVDs, and I prefer the UE. The commentaries are the same on both DVDs, and Ladies of The Evil Dead Documentaries are only on the Ultimate Edition DVD, but I love the Book of The Dead Edition because of the Necronomicon. I used to own the Elite DVD, but I sold it when I purchased the Book Of The Dead Edition, but there are some that prefer one over other editions. Even though right now I don't own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, I will be purchasing Evil Dead on Blu-Ray August 31st, because of the Limited Edition DVD, and because of the New Commentary from Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi, and Rob Tapert, and because it's my favorite movie of the whole series, because I do have 3 separate tattoos of Evil Dead, and I am thinking of getting more Evil Dead tattoos in the near future.

18. make believe

make believe New Member

I very much regret getting rid of my original VHS tape of this, along with other titles, that in some ways do look better and more effective than a cleaned up DVD or digital transfer.

19. make believe

make believe New Member

Check out the link I posted in this thread.

20. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

All this talk about EVIL DEAD got me to break out my ELITE dvd.It brings back memories, I got in the dvd collecting game late around 1998.I picked up the 2nd pressing of ZOMBIE from AB to give you guys a good time reference.I was so stoked when I bought the ELITE dvd, at the time it was the best R1 release.Im glad I held on to it.I also own the 3 disc set and thats awesome but not as awesome as my ELITE dvd.What ever happened to ELITE? I would love to see them make a come back.

sean