Pyewacket

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Mar 22, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Hits VOD tomorrow from IFC Films. New heavy metal horror film in vein of The Devil's Candy.

From the director of the killer bear movie Backcountry and starring the cast of Degrassi. Looks pretty good though.

I thought Backcountry was a total bore, but Adam MacDonald was Butch from one of my favorite TV shows Big Wolf On Campus and also guest starred in episodes of another favorite TV show Are You Afraid Of The Dark? So consider me a fan!

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I caught this a couple months ago during it's limited Canadian theatrical run. Was pretty 'meh' and ultimately forgettable.

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I watched this tonight, pretty good, nothing outstanding though. Glad I watched it, but wouldn't do it again. That kind of sums up my thoughts of most new horror films though. I was a bit confused because the review on Bloody Disgusting calls it "heavy metal horror" and likens it to Black Roses, Deathgasm or Trick or Treat, but there's not really much "heavy metal" about it (and frankly, not much "horror" about it either). The girl has a black metal style patch on her bag and listens to a death metal song with really dumb lyrics for about 90-seconds, that's it. Not sure why he's comparing it to that subgenre.

4. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Rather enjoyed this. A bot o low budget meandering early on, but once Pyewacket was invoked the movie sped up and began to give me what I was half expecting from this release. Worth a watch, perhaps not a blind buy though.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

My friend was visiting this weekend, and I put this up as an optional for Sunday afternoon hangover cure, he went for it based on the 'Heavy Metal Horror' and spent most of the viewing time questioning why it was classed so, I think 1 song featured. As for the film, it was OK, nothing great, worth a watch. No repeat viewing for me.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Saw this last night. Scream Factory had it for $5 in their Shocktober Sale. Like y'all already mentioned, it's pretty dull and forgettable. It would have to be a really slow day for me to spin it again.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I watched this some time ago after seeing a Chris Stuckmann review where he praised it. He also mentioned being able to see something ominous in the background of a lot of scenes.
    Well I neither thought it was that good, nor did I see anything in the background of shots. I found it a lot slower than I was expecting too. Not a lot happens until the end, with at least one pretty creepy scene I remember. I didn't think it was bad but it was definitely a little dull.