Psycho I-IV Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by snowbeast323, Jan 25, 2009.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Received this in the mail today from Hastings (was only $6 after shipping):

[​IMG]

I already have Scream Factory's blu-rays of Psycho II and Psycho III, so picked this up solely for Psycho IV and the '80s made-for-TV movie Bates Motel.

Bates Motel is also available as an expensive DVD-R release, and I don't think Psycho IV is available on DVD by itself, so this set seemed like the way to go to finish off my collection.

Only downside is that all four films are squeezed onto one single-sided dual-layered disc, so I'm expecting compression. But for the price, and the fact that Bates Motel is on a pressed DVD, I'm not too worried about it.

2. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

Come on Scream Factory, bring Psycho IV to blu-ray!

3. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I bought it for the same reasons, Cpt. Hook. In my dream wishlist I thought Scream Factory might do a 2-fer Bluray with "Psycho IV" and "Bates Motel" but this will do just fine if that doesn't ever happen. I need to rewatch part IV as I don't remember being very impressed with it at the time and I haven't watched "Bates Motel" since it originally aired. But I love the series. Now if only Carter Burwell's score for part III would get a CD release I could die a happy man. :D

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I don't think I had ever seen Bates Motel before, but finally watched it last night.

It's pretty bad, but I still enjoyed it, certainly more than the bore of that A&E series. In fact, this could have been a really fun little series in the vein of Tales From The Darkside or Friday The 13th had they continued with it.

I really like the idea of setting these stand-alone supernatural stories in and around the Bates Motel. You had Bud Cort and Lori Petty setting up a new legacy for the Bates Motel and running with the Psycho storyline, but you also had this interesting little episode-of-the-week story about the woman who goes there to commit suicide and finds herself surrounded by the ghosts of a bunch of 1950s teenagers who had committed suicide (including a Teen Wolf Too era Jason Bateman).

It would have been fun to have a weekly campfire story surrounding the Bates Motel, definitely a better concept than delivering a contemporary prequel revealing information we either already know or shouldn't know (A&E series, I'm looking at you). Psycho IV already offered the perfect amount of prequel without crossing that line.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I too own all 4, Psycho 1-3 on Blu-Ray and I also own Psycho 2-4 together. Psycho 2 on one DVD disc and Psycho 3 and 4 on a second DVD disc. Just watched all of them in the last few days. I'm also preparing a marathon of Season 1 & 2 of A&E's Bates Motel in anticipation of the season premiere of Bates Motel on March 9th. I'm a huge fan of the modern day reimagining of Norman Bates, and have been a fan since the pilot episode, and I own both seasons of Bates Motel on Blu-Ray, and the next tattoo I'm going to get is the Bates Motel sign.