Psycho I-IV Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by snowbeast323, Jan 25, 2009.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I love this franchise and I just wanted to see who else loves it....
    See I can't pick a favourite film, which is why its an appreciation thread for the whole series...

So I like them all....

What about you guys?

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I love the original film. It's the best. The second was OK , and the fourth I kind of like because it delves into the upbringing of Norman and the mother is played by Olivia Hussey (of Black Christmas fame). I can't even remember anything about part 3.

3. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I may be in the minority but I think the Psycho movies are great slasher movies and they all have a re-watch value to them.Norman plays a great psychopath,in the sub genre of "mothers boys" Norman is up there with Zito Grimaldi.

sean

4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I watched 2/3/4 a few months ago and just couldn't get into them.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

What I don't like about it is the fact that they turned a fantastic psychological suspense thriller into a slasher franchise (or at least tried to in the '80s). Part II was a pretty good follow-up, Part III and IV were rather, meh. Psycho is one of the greatest suspense films ever made, though. It's almost without flaw.

~Matt

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Snowbeast, I'm with you all the way. I think I've posted this a few times, but Psycho is the greatest horror series to me. I like 2 better than the original and 3 and 4 are as overlooked as horror comes. Outstanding continuity throughout. 3 cheers for Norman Bates!

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

PSYCHO is brilliant ,one of the touchstone films in the genre.PSYCHO 2 is WAY better than it has any right to be,it actually works quite well.PSYCHO 3 is campy and out there but packs a certain fun.The TV movie was probably a bad idea and is iffy,though Olivia Hussey gives it a bit of a lift.

8. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Nothing compares to Hitchcock, but 2 does a damned good job of following up the story. Don't care at all for 3 or 4. One of my favorite moments in 2 is a shadow on the wall in the background of Hitch's profile. Brilliant!

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Loved 1 and 2, still need to watch 3 and 4. They have been sitting there in my to watch pile, but something else always comes up.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

same here i love all the psycho films with the exception of the dread 98 remake i get into all of them they're all fun

11. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Amen to all that.....:D

3 & 4 are soooooooo overlooked....

It was a bad idea to make 4 a TV movie.....it deserved better...

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Part 2. Part 3 is pretty good.. And as for part 4, I have to see it again to make a further judgment.

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just rewatched the entire series over the last couple of days. I've always loved the original, it's one of my top 10 horror films of all time. I had watched the sequels about a decade ago and thought they were all just decent. Well, after rewatching Psycho II I have to say that I was mistaken on my first assessment. It is one of the best horror sequels I've ever seen. Every performance was great and the story was such an original way to go about a sequel to the first. The makeup effects however were pretty bad, all the prosthetics looked like clay! Parts III & IV I still think are just OK. III is obviously trying to marry the classic suspense of the series with the gory slashers of the time and it doesn't work. It also adds nothing to the mythology and at times is just a series of random characters being knocked off. The direction is interesting and Perkins gives another great performance, so it's not a total loss. And people complain about the last scene in II? I thought III was the case of the film having a perfect end point and then the scene in the police car ruins it. I enjoyed Part IV a little more than III, but it's limitations as a TV movie were constantly apparent and the modern story wasn't as interesting as the very entertaining flashbacks. Overall I'm glad I gave the entire series another try and now I'll have to give The Psycho Legacy a watch.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I too really love the series, I'm a sucker for back story so I liked 4 but really liked the way the story continued in 2. Not a huge fan of 3 but I love the scene in which norman is eating peanut butter & stuffing a bird with the same spoon. Now I might get stoned for this but what is everyone's reaction to Bates Motel? Am I the only one who has this on disk?

15. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Like most horror fans, I rank the original Psycho to be one of the greatest horror movies of all time. But the sequels are really over looked. Although the squeals were pushed out for the shake of cashing in on the rising slasher boom of the 1980's, that doesn't automatically demote them to just "Another slasher film." Universal could have easily had Bates escape the mental asylum and go on mass killing spree and keep on churning out sequels until the franchise was dead, but instead what we got was a very respectful, well fleshed out (for the most part) story arch for Perkins' signature character. Over the course of three films, we have Norman in the middle of a constant war with his own sanity, the strife of trying to fight back into society with the weight of his tarnished reputation on his shoulders, and by the end of the fourth film we see Norman finally defeat his demons by burning down the house that caused him so much misery. The finale of the final Psycho film is what makes it all the worth while to sit through the whole series.

16. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Watched all 4 2 years ago and enjoyed them all!

17. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I've seen some posters in my time and Mondo definitely has some of the best, but they've outdone themselves this time. Their new Psycho poster is a goddamned masterpiece. This thing is GORGEOUS!

[​IMG]

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Except it's John Gavin not 'Gaving', D'Oh!!

19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Ive only seen parts 1 and 4, I have part 1 on blu and it is a masterpiece and I have it as one of the 50 greatest films ever made. Part 4 I caught on tv long ago and was surprised that I enjoyed it.
    Probably gonna pick up parts 2 and 3 as blind buys, hope they but out part IV on blu too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  20. thing

thing Well-Known Member

They fixed the typo
    [​IMG]

also
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]