Physical Media ain't dead yet...

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Dec 13, 2018.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Netflix sucks. I would have canceled it at this point if it wasn’t for my wife. I only watch it for Stranger Things. Hulu has become better for movies (not “Netflix originals”). Shudder and Night Flight are my babies. Shudder, though, I could see slipping in the next year. I hate that “original” shit. Why can’t any of them just stick to the classics?

Erick H. likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Netflix is so inexpensive that it only takes watching a couple of movies or a TV show a month to pay for itself. My wife actually tells me she is tired of Netflix yet seems to find something just about everyday to watch on it.

gobad2003 likes this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

In my case, I rarely stream anything but I keep the at-home discs revolving steadily; it's my understanding that you can't get a Discs-only plan anymore.

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Sometimes I wonder which copy of the same issued film to keep - the DVD or the Blu Ray? For example, I have the earlier Scorpion issues of DEATH SHIP and TOWER OF EVIL. Then they were re-remastered for another Blu and I have those too.
    Shelf space considered, which do I keep: the earlier Blu and the new Blu or the earlier DVD and the new Blu and sell the older Blu.
    Sometimes I panic buy both formats fearing, just I did when there were competing DVD and Laserdisc titles, one would be discontinued and not the other or...further down the line one of the formats stops working (rot, ect). Anyway, that sort of thing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. sinister

sinister Active Member

Yes, it's hard to know when a version is "definitive" or even when "enough is enough".

I remember paying an absolutely crazy amount for the Jap import Argento laserdiscs back in the mid 90's, Tenebrae, Deep Red, Cat o' nine tails, Phenomena etc., thinking these kinda movies were so "underground" that those LD's might actually be the most definitive versions that would ever be released on home video. Of course very naive in hindsight and quite funny considering the stuff available today, but it seemed possible at the time.

Now I think the blu-ray disc version will be the last one I ever buy. I have a 1080p projector and even with that huge screen size there's literally no point in 4K as the image would not look any sharper at my viewing distance... then I read in that other thread about the Dolby Atmos version of Suspiria (only on the 4K disc) and start wondering, hmmmmm..... :)

The Synapse BD version of Tenebrae looks amazing, but the mono soundtrack was so disappointing. I'm sure I had at least a stereo remixed or even 5.1 version before on DVD. The Goblin music on the Synapse BD menu was just incredible in stereo and put me so much in the mood to enjoy the movie. Then it starts with mono sound even for the music... I nearly took the disc out and went looking for my old stereo mixed DVD instead.

So I dream that one day there will be a stereo or 5.1 Tenebrae Blu-ray with that amazing picture quality and that will really be the last one I want to buy. :D

Zombie Dude, russweiss and wago70 like this.
  6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

If they have different bonus features or versions of the film, I will keep both. I display the best version in the highest quality format and keep the older versions behind it (I have IKEA shelves that are deep enough to do this).

wago70 likes this.
  7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Too often I've made a blu upgrade and blindly dumped my DVD, only to find later that the blu has quality issues, content edits, etc. Often only found out well after the actual release.

Doesn't seem to matter how many months I hold onto the DVD before deciding its safe to dump, soon after I do I find some thread about some major fuck up in the blu that has me scrambling to reset. I just don't seem to learn.

It does make the decision when/if to upgrade much more problematic. Its particularly tough for series collections - who the hell has time to do side by side comparisons of dozens of episodes to figure out the publisher got lazy and tossed in syndicated episodes with 2-5 minutes of scenes snipped out to make more time for commercials on season 6? Or the version of the episode with the controversial scene unfit for European broadcast cut out was the one used for the "collectors edition" release?

8. wago70

I hear all of you. The job that is just too big for me is streamlining my Godzilla collection. I only want the best versions. But researching the reviews and opinions all over the web to help my decision is too daunting and exhausting. The only
    Godzilla item I ever regretted getting rid of was the Laserdisc import from Japan called "Death Battle" collection. I really enjoyed those roadshow versions and the packaging was awesome. But I sold my collection after my LD player crapped out. I figured - oh there's always DVD...
    To be honest when it comes to Godzilla it's hard to watch them on tv (with commercials if you catch it on Comet TV) and I never feel like streaming them, either. I always want to grab the physical medium and sit down and enjoy the retro goodness.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My favorite Argento Japanese laserdisc was Suspiria. Prior to that I had only seen the film pan and scanned. What a revelation to see it fully letterboxed and realize I had missing 40% of the picture when watching it up until then. From that point on I hated seeing nearly anything that was pan and scanned. Today just about everything is presented in the proper aspect ratio. Some things that younger viewers take for granted was an absolute treasure "back in the day."

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I hear that. I saw someone post on Twitter that they had a whole second Godzilla Showa-Era collection because there was so much missing from the Criterion set. I have a two-year-old who likes monsters and so I wanted to make sure I had English dubs and those were the big thing missing (along with old bonus features) from the Criterion set. So if you want everything region A Godzilla (at least Toho makes it easy and doesn't put English subs on their releases in Japan, so no sense in importing for additional things unless you speak the language) this might be helpful:

Criterion's Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films Blu-ray Box Set (15 films, all are in Japanese, but only half have English dubs, exclusive bonus features)
    Classic Media's The Godzilla Collection DVD Box Set (7 films, some exclusive English dubs, all have exclusive bonus features)
    Kraken Releasing's Ebirah - Horror of the Deep Blu-ray (Exclusive English dub)
    Kraken Releasing's Godzilla vs. Hedorah Blu-ray (Exclusive English dub)
    Kraken Releasing's Godzilla vs. Gigan Blu-ray (Exclusive English dub)
    Tokyo Shock's recalled Destroy All Monsters Blu-ray (Exclusive bonus features that Toho had removed from later pressings)
    Tokyo Shock's recalled Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD (Exclusive bonus features that Toho had removed from later pressings)
    Kraken Releasing's The Return of Godzilla Blu-ray (Only release of Japanese version and the English dub of the Japanese cut)
    Godzilla 1985 VHS or Laserdisc (Only way to see the American cut of The Return of Godzilla)
    Lionsgate's Godzilla vs. Biollante Blu-ray (Currently only film in the series that is out of print. Was originally released by Echo Bridge with faulty audio. A replacement program happend with them and the Lionsgate disc was created from that 2nd corrected pressing. So if you're looking for it in the wild, the only way you can be sure to not get the bad release is if it's the Lionsgate reissue)

After that Sony released the rest of the series on Blu-ray, mainly in double features that include both the subtitled and dubbed versions of all the films from the '90s on up.

I'm so happy that Arrow's upcoming Gamera collection will include subs & dubs for all films, alternate cuts, and apparently all previously released bonus features and I can get rid of my DVD collection from Shout, ADV, and Tokyo Shock.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    X-human likes this.
  11. wago70

o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Wow I really appreciate that! For me, English dubs of the Showa Era is an absolute must (because ...childhood and the late, late show and horror matinees, ect.)

gobad2003, loutoad23 and fattyjoe37 like this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe just the most current version on each format. If it's a rarer film and I have both DVD and Blu, I tend to keep both. But if it's a mainstream film, I keep just the Blu if I upgraded from DVD.

13. wago70

Yeah - the hoarder in me though...:confused: Often I'll keep a DVD if the artwork is awesome. From here onward, I have stuck with Blu Ray purchases. I'll get a DVD if it's vintage and rare. I haven't even begun to think about getting
    into the new 4K thing.

chancetx likes this.
  14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'd agree about Netflix very mainstream.

I do prefer Prime they have titles there I'm always surprised to see. This week alone I've watched Mirror Mirror, Demonoid, The Evil and Slithis. And will be watching Demon of Paradise and The Devil Within Her shortly. It's good because if I like them then I can hunt down the discs for my collection.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

To me, a definitive release would be the end-all edition on home video containing a definitive transfer and every single extra old and new.

Speaking of COVID-19, DVD and Blu-ray player sales rose 27% since the pandemic:

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/disc-continues-to-spin/

It's a few months old, but point being is that this is good. :)