Phantasm series on Bluray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Actually I'd forgotten about that. I definitely agree. I also originally thought it was going to be a hard cover and was very disappointed to find out it isn't as like you say, both the Hellraiser and House set have hard cover books.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It just makes me want individual releases of III and IV all the more. I've already paid Well Go for I and V, and own a sphere set. I certainly don't want to condone or support business preactices like the way this set was handled. I love the series to death, but this is complete bullshit.

Matt89 and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

A clever solution for combining the US set into the UK set (just remove the sphere) and save a little shelf space:

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Not all of us live in United States (Zombie Dude is in Australia for instance) so getting a boxset that was available for pre-order on other sites that originally offered it as a pre-order and were reasonably priced without currency conversion, additional shipping costs, etc. factored in (like Amazon.ca where I had/still have an order placed for it) and those pre-orders still haven't gone through because apparently they only actually shipped to limited national retailers makes it difficult for some of us outside who want/ed the Well Go set over the Arrow set since it appeared to be available to us. And now that it's mentioned after Amazon.com is sold out we have even more limited and costly options to replace the order should our pre-orders (which are still open) finally get cancelled, we're allowed to be a little livid over it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This made me pause for a minute.

Aren't almost all booklets included with Blu, DVD sets, and special multi-disc packs almost always not hardcover? (I could say "paperback" but... that doesn't sound right for some reason.) Far back as DVD: Anchor Bay's Suspiria Limited Edition, Nightmare on Elm Street 1999 Platinum boxset, the Anchor Bay Sleepaway Camp franchise first aid / red cross set, the Hills Have Eyes 2-disc I think came with one, all the Criterion's have "paper" collectible booklets (I think).

6. Zombie Dude

This is true which is what makes the hardcover ones especially nice. The Phantasm set really should have had one. Not sure why they opted for paperback unless it was a space saving thing. It's not a big deal, it just would have been a little nicer.

Katatonia and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

3,800 units sold is pretty impressive. So Best Buy got the rest of the stock? Is anyone actually seeing the set on BB shelves?

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

For Arrow, if the booklets are inside the Blu-ray cases, yes, they are simply a booklet. But in the sets where the book has actually been it's own separate thing (like Hellraiser or the House Collection) they've been hardcover. And if you look at the promo photo for Arrow's Phantasm box set it appears it looks like it should be a hardcover book or was originally designed to be so: http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/image/cache/data/PHANTASM_GIFT_BOX_VIS_V1-500x500.jpg

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Got my Arrow set this morning and was surprised at how big it is in person. Flicked through the contents of the box quickly to get a better sense of it all. The sphere is surprisingly solid for a plastic ball and the metallic coating is flawless. It will make a nice display piece for sure.
    The book I'm still a little disappointed wasn't a hardcover as that would have been nicer. The contents of it seems great though, with lots of info and pictures.
    Love the new art on the movie cases. I think they all look really nice.
    The box I don't hate but I don't totally love it either. It's definitely the most stand out box set in my collection now so that's pretty cool.
    Can't wait to dig into the discs and get to the real meat of this set! Overall I'm very happy to have this collection from Arrow.

Matt89, Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Very good info for me. I placed my original order with Amazon the day the priced dropped to $59.99 It never shipped and has been on back order. After reading that, I just placed an order with Best Buy.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I gotta be completely honest here and say I don't really like the Arrow set. I'll stop short of calling it ugly (it isn't) but it feels cheap and poorly executed. Not talking about the material the box is made of, just the overall look and design. The CD-sized cases feel oddly retro but not in a good way. This is certainly the strangest-looking box set in my collection now.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Did you guys order from Amazon UK or directly from Arrow? I ordered mine off Amazon and I'm curious how it came packaged. Nothing was damaged? I've had issues with Amazon UK in the past.

~Matt

13. Katatonia

I ordered mine from Amazon UK. It came in a large box with some paper packing inside. The outside shipping box arrived looking a little dented and thrown around by UPS, but the set itself was fine within.

14. Zombie Dude

I ordered mine directly for Arrow which came in a big box with padding inside and then another box in that which housed the actual set. I was very impressed and happy as the set was flawless plus shipping was free for me!

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

zbinks, fceurich39, Katatonia and 3 others like this.
  16. Katatonia

I definitely noticed how much better the archival special features looked in my Arrow set... it was instantly noticeable. I'm really glad now that I did grab both sets!

17. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I'm glad I went with the Well Go set. They've got 3 exclusive commentaries, more extras for 3 and 4, the packaging is perfect AND it only cost me $60.:cool:

Inferior PQ on the Phantasmagoria doc doesn't really bother me all that much.

18. Zombie Dude

So I've finished up watching all the films in the set and thought I'd list them in order of my favourite to least.

Phantasm III
    Phantasm
    Phantasm IV
    Phantasm II
    Phantasm V

I have a real soft spot for Lord of the Dead. It was the first Phantasm I got the chance to see and the first time I'd even heard of Phantasm was when the trailer for this played in front of the Nightmare on Elm St 2 VHS I'd rented for on of my early teens birthday back when I was starting to delve into the genre.
    I like that this entry starts to raise some interesting questions like the Tall Man's sudden desire to capture Mike and what his plans are with him. The little kid is also a fun character who's a surprising bad ass with a gun. I like the new sphere mythology such as the Tall Man having a golden sphere, the implanting in heads and the idea that there are brains inside of them. It all comes together nicely.

So I put the original film second in my list but it's more of a tie between this and III. It still holds up great, love the original score and the bits of comedy here and there. There's a lot of heart in here too with Mike terrified that Jody is going to leave him whilst coming to the realisation at the end that he was already gone due to a car accident.

Oblivion has grown on me since I last saw it and I think a lot of that has to do with the deleted scenes from the original being interwoven quite well into the narrative. It also has me wondering how the original would have played out with those scenes back in as some are quite good and effective.

Phantasm II has some great effects and an obviously bigger budget but it seems to be lacking the heart Phantasm should have. It also adds very little to the mythos and I find it a little bland at times. I think part of the problem is the new guy playing Mike as I just can't get into his version of the character.

Ravager has some good scenes and ideas but suffers from an ultra low budget. Some scenes look like something out of a Sci-Fi Channel movie and the digital look takes away from the experience for me. It's definitely not as bad as people say but I feel like it's the one I'm least likely to revisit.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

When multiple region offerings become available from different labels for films I collect, very often I find myself buying the Arrow releases. As it turned out, the Phantasm Collection was an exception. I wound up buying the domestic Well Go release instead. A big part of it for me was a strong dislike of the Arrow packaging this time. I went through all five films & the bonus materials over a two week period. Despite being a longtime Phantasm fan, this was actually my first ever viewing of Phantasm IV. I don't think I avoided the film, but I can't forget how much I disliked Phantasm III (which I last saw in the late 90's prior to revisiting in this set).

Having seen Phantasm III a few times before, this was the first time I actually enjoyed it. I remember being turned off by how much comedy was in this film. I still rank it as a lesser film in the series, but had lots of fun with it this time. The mausoleum used in Part III was a definite asset. Having Michael (Baldwin) play Michael once again was a wise choice. Knowing very little about the next film before watching it, I pretty much loved Phantasm IV. The many desert scenes lent a nice atmosphere. Putting Reggie back in his old ice cream uniform was a blast. The best part for me though was incorporating the unused footage originally intended for the first film. Brilliant idea & it really worked.

This was also the first time I saw Ravager. A lot of the feedback has been negative on this one. Went in with an open mind & a sense of financial forgiveness (such a small budget). There's no getting around some wince inducing effects moments. I did my best to give it a free pass in that regard. Enjoyed Ravager a lot more than I expected to. The story worked for me. Sad that Angus Scrimm is no longer with us, but so great that he got to do Ravager & lend his inimitable screen presence.

Now that I have finally seen all five films, here is my ranking:

Phantasm
    Phantasm IV
    Phantasm II
    Phantasm V
    Phantasm III

Workshed likes this.
  20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow so my Arrow set came in the mail yesterday. Love the packaging more in person than I did in pictures. That being said I don't think I've ever received a package so quickly from Amazon UK. Literally took only 4 business days. It shipped Sunday night and arrived Thursday afternoon. Not a dent or scratch on it, it's perfect.

I've never seen parts 3-5, I'll probably watch them this weekend seeing as how the weather is supposed to be complete shit (50-70mm of rain). Interesting how some of you have ranked the later sequels ahead of part 2 (which I loved). I'm excited to check them out.

~Matt

satans-sadists and Zombie Dude like this.