Pet Sematary Remake.

Discussion in 'General' started by Damed, Aug 2, 2006.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

And with that statement, I will avoid this film like the plague.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Which?

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Pet Semetery.

Myron Breck likes this.
  4. unclefred

unclefred Member

I'm not sure why making it into the 100th movie with a long -haired Ring style creepy girl is better than retaining the scary little kid from the book. and dopey masks too?

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The girl is nothing like in the Ring though.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Other than the ending this film played exactly as I expected (mainly due to the spoilers in the trailer). I also didn't even remotely associate the girl with the Ring.

7. unclefred

unclefred Member

Well that's good to know.

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I saw this today and I thought it was a decent movie- not great but not bad either. The acting is better overall, not sure how I feel about the ending- not really crazy about it to be honest on first viewing.

But I still enjoyed it - Id give it a 6.5 out of 10 I think.

How does it compare to the original? Well the original did not have very good acting and hasn't aged all that well - but I also liked the ending better in that one and it does have the cheese factor now. But overall I prefer the new one.

9. ClaytonS

ClaytonS New Member

Really did not care for this movie. I was so excited to see Christopher Young's name pop up as composer but considering he was catering to a "slickly modern" editing scheme it felt completely wasted and devoid of atmosphere. There's also a key moment with some terrible cgi which is really unnecessary and obliterates any potential tension. There are several scenes that intentionally pivot from the Lambert's original (one is spoiled in trailer #2) and these little winks become pretty silly and tiresome.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Just got back from seeing this.
    Been a while since a movie moved me to the point of being pissed that it exists.... well that clock just reset!
    It seemed all it wanted to do was throw curve balls at what you expect to happen. I saw an earlier post mention better character development? I couldn't disagree more. I couldn't give half a fuck for any of them.
    Oh, kids in masks are so scary! That Ramones cover over the credits really drove the final nail into it, just fucking awful, the whole thing (although I loved the makeup on Victor, too bad his role was trimmed to nothing).
    Save your loot and wait for cable or a library rental if you can't resist. I love to support R-rated horror, and that's the main reason I went after some friends warned me it was crap. They were right.

wago70 and Buechlers_beard like this.
  11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

There was only one other person in the theatre when I saw it and I think that he was not happy with the movie. As the ending started to unfold he didn't even wait for it it to finish and just walked out. lol

12. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Haha. I spoke to my Wife afterwards and said I was thinking of leaving before the end. She had the same thought. We should've trusted our guts because it didn't get any better.

13. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I agree. But I'd also throw in a comparison to the awful Poltergeist remake somewhere just to finish this one off. I should've listened to my friends too, and given this a miss.

chancetx likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well seeing that a lot of you guys were disappointed with this I'm definitely going to give it a miss at the cinemas. I'd have to go out of my way to see it anyway as I'm on holiday in Europe atm. I'll still check it out once it's on blu.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Yes! That popped into my head a day or so after seeing this too. Both are slick, CGI heavy versions with major plot changes that don't improve the stories in any way. A Poltergeist remake was always going to pale in comparison to the original but there really was potential for an improved version of Pet Sematary.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Passing on this until October, then. Bummer.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

It was okay. Nothing great and nothing I will watch again.

I did watch Pet Sematary 2 today and wow that one is terrible.

othervoice1 likes this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I was not a fan of the original and I didn't enjoy the remake, I found it quite slow, boring and pointless.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw the original film in the theater after having read the book and thought it was basically a good, if somewhat flawed adaptation. I caught the remake during it's opening weekend and found it to be rather slow going. The changes made to the story seemed to have been made solely to make the film "different" from the original rather than genuinely enhance the story. The cast features some capable actors but they've all been utilized better elsewhere. I did think the young girl gave a solid performance. While I didn't like the "twists" on the original story I was even more disappointed by the sequences they dropped , some of the most upsetting bits in the novel and earlier film were omitted. The funeral /casket bit is a good example. In fact, shots later in the film made me wonder if this scene had been shot and just got cut out. The wife's father gives the dad a nasty look a couple of times but there's no sense that there was really bad blood between them in the film, the father in law just seems to give Dr. Creed the stink eye a couple of times. Wonder if anything was cut here ?

On whole I found this to be a technically solid but weak retread.

othervoice1 and Buechlers_beard like this.