Pandorum

Discussion in 'General' started by SEANVALEN, Oct 22, 2009.

1. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Just got back from seeing this.

And I've been wanting to watch it for a while. Something about spaceships, horror and sci fi agree with me, I think if you saw the trailer, you would feel a very Event Horizon feel to the film, both films have quality actors, in Event you had the great Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne, with Pandorum you got Ben Foster and Dennis Quaid.

Pandorum has this relentless loud energy within the silence, the amosphere is wonderfully tense.

I think the premise is interesting, I think the film perhaps will get a greater audience on dvd, it deserved more money then it got, maybe it's easier to market a Saw film for halloween, as like with Event Horizon, you don't really have any one character that propels discussion, it's about the situation rather then person.

And Pandorum is a great title, it's unique and mysterious, I enjoy saying it. :D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will pick it up on dvd anchor bay is rumored to be releasing this on dvd/blu-ray dec 22nd here in the USA

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I love Scifi/Horror films, but I am just going to wait for the DVD of this one!

4. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Dudes!! This movie was friggin GREAT!!

The monsters, action, killing, blood / gore, creepy'ness and dark feel of the movie kept me on the edge of my sofa.

I cannot wait for this movie to come out on Blu-Ray, I will be first in line ;)

This movie gave me the dark / freekness as the movie "The Descent" did.

Watch it all!!

5. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Ugh. What a case of "what could have been." Honestly, I thought the style of filmmaking where stroboscopic editing creatures that move in weirdo-motion died out about 7 or 8 years ago. All that was needed was a blaring Slipknot track every 10 minutes or so.

I can't but think what this movie could have been if whatever bonehead got his hands on the film and made those had any shred of subtlety. There's obviously some talent on display here. Lighting and cinematography are top-notch. The ship, while abandoned, is moody and eerie. And until the Ben Foster character comes across the silly creatures, the film had me intrigued. I liked the premise of, we're experiencing memory loss, this is what I know, this is what you know, when we get on the other side of that door, we'll remember more. It set up tangible short-term goals that would slowly lead the way to the long-term ones. So much of this film was completely unnecessary and it all starts with the creatures. Everytime they were on screen or the characters made a decision based on their existence, I rolled my eyes and was taken right out of the film. This is the same thing that derailed Sunshine. Somebody on the production team, whether it be writer, director, or producer, decides that the audience is incapable of accepting an intelligent science fiction film without there being some kind of constant, overt and visceral danger. Sunshine was a horror film about temperature. I get it. It didn't need Jason Voorhees. This film was about space madness. I get it. It didn't need albino orc rejects from LotR.

It's unfortunate, because the other possibly intelligent sci-fi film of 2009, Moon, was even more derivative than Pandorum, though more classily executed.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really enjoyed the hell out of it. The paranoia and suspense was edgy, and the storyline was purposely disjointed which worked quite well given the overall plot.

The Blu-ray is quite nice, with all the special features also in HD. Anchor Bay is starting to get into the Digital Copy disc trend now though? Ugh...

7. geeare

geeare Guest

i bought this on release day but haven't watched it yer. looking forward to it tho.

8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Recently saw this. Very forgettable.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Saw it in the theater.It had some good ideas weaved into it but I hated the direction and the story was messy.Dennis Quaid was wasted.Looked like it had been trimmed to me.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Just picked it up at Best Buy for $10

11. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I watched this about a week ago and had mixed feelings. Sci-Fi horror is by far my favorite kind of movie, so it had points already for that. The sets looked great, I liked the pacing and really enjoyed the twist and the ending.

I didn't however like the monsters, they looked cheap and silly. I didnt like the fast-motion they were filmed in, or the awkward wire-fu jumps and moves they did. I also think the movie should have cut either the monsters entirely, or the Pandorum/halucination sickness entirely. It felt a little cluttered with both these 2 things going at once, and probably could have been much tighter and snappy had they just chose to go with one direction instead of trying to fit in narratives for both.

Still worth a watch, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

12. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

This was a decent little flick and I ended up liking it on the whole. However, as with Event Horizon, a more subtle approach would've improved it substantially IMHO.

13. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I really liked this film. I though it was worlds above a lot of crap that used a similar storyline. Solid acting and some very tense moments. I just picked this up on Blu-Ray for $10 at Best Buy.

14. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I watched it last night finally. I actually quite liked it but I agree I think the movie could be much better if they didn't have the "monsters" at all. I realize they needed some kind of threat so maybe instead of these unbelievable mutations I think it would have made more sense to have other people with pandorum running around like lunatics after them. I just don't buy that those extreme genetic mutations (even with the help of whatever bullshit the chick was talking about in the feeding tubes) could take place in a span of less than 1000 years. Though none of that would be needed at all if the characters found out earlier (maybe by the end of the first act) that there was a looming system shutdown within an hour and if they didn't restart the generator by that time they'd all die. But the story overall was very interesting, I liked the actors and their characters, and the sets were great.

Also why was there never a Pandorum game? I think the way it was filmed mirrored a game (especially with the short term goals talked about earlier) and would have translated quite easily. Actually it would probably end up being like Dead Space which is not a bad thing.

15. Beastus

Beastus New Member

I had expectations, but frankly the movie was a big yawn. I just couldn't get into it, and ended up checking how much time was left every 5 minutes.

16. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just saw this tonight, and really enjoyed it. I understand what aoiookami is saying about the monsters and sickness being too much, but it didn't occur to me at all during the movie. It did get bogged down in a few places I thought, but was fun, and the mystery was maintained up until the very end.