Open Water.

Discussion in 'General' started by The Chaostar, Aug 26, 2004.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

onebyone, what is the ending really? What really did happen. lol

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Here is a good write up on the whole horrifying affair. It is of course more interesting when hosted by the late, great Robert Stack.

3. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Good one , onebyone. Here are the orignials that were missing. I mean if you ask me, I perfer to look at the actress Susan (Ryan Blanchard) and not Eileen Lonergan. :)

[​IMG]

4. MrVess

MrVess Guest

It reminded me of "Blair Witch" for two reasons...

Primo: "Blair Witch" was more or less the same kind of imbecilic empty drivel with no plot, painfully inept directing, a script that makes WS Anderson and Kevin Williamson look "skilled", and a group of obnoxious, pathetically acted individuals as protagonists.

Secundo: I stopped watching "Blair Witch" less than 20 minutes after the beginning, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i loked this movie it totally cool and the camera was not as annoying as blair witch

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've got to agree with you on this one shift, I was bored in most parts of the movie, especially the first 20 minutes. It wasn't terrible, but I don't really care to see it again. And the DVD transfer just cries out "Cheap Digital Video!". The colors looked all screwy and messed up until they got onto the ocean and then it looked fine. I was thinking to myself "Half-Caste" ... remember that one shift? :evil:

Final thoughts... the sharks looked wimpy!

7. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Oh man how can I forget!! That was one movie where I press the dvd "Eject" button the quickest!! "The Quick and the Dead" movie don't got shit on me w/ the fastest draw of my Eject button!! :lol:

8. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I finally watched this a few nights back. It's tough to NOT admire what the cast and crew went through to film the principles in the same water with live sharks.

Still, as for the film itself, it just ended-up being underwhelming overall. Great premise with some great scenes here and there, but the film never quite connected with me.

The Good:

Atmosphere: Being stranded in the ocean is dire enough. Now, add very overcast skies, wave-level cam work, (and in one inspired, if too-short bit, a lightning storm at night) and suck all the music off the soundtrack and you have atmosphere to burn.

Acting: Despite being saddled with rather non-descript characters, Travis and Blanchard did very well with what they had to work with.

Universal Themes: I can't imagine a single person who will be able to exit this film and at least not give pause about the themes inherent in the film's storyline: abandonment, fear of the unknown, man's true fragility in nature, etc etc.

The Bad:

Live Sharks: I will qualify this first by saying that sharks, alligators, and other predators in murky waters are at the top of my personal list of phobias. The mere premise of being lost at sea with no visible land around is bone-chilling to me, to say the least.

Unfortunately, while watching Open Water, I came to the sad realization that watching live sharks thrash around the actors at various "jump" moments just isn't very suspenseful over the long haul. And the "interactions" where it's obvious that the couple is nowhere in the same shot as the shark being shown, while understandable due to the budget, just felt empty and cheap. Think of the Lifetime Channel Movie of the Week version and you have the same effect: felt TOO safe.

The Couple: Again, I thought the acting was great, but the characters themselves left much to be desired. So they are underdeveloped on purpose to let the audience relate to them more? That's fine, but why qualify them with qualities that call their logic into question?

Example: Daniel claims to be an avid reader of Dive magazine and apparently well-versed in open water diving. At one point, he even confesses to Susan that he was aware that "lost at sea" incidents were actually quite common. So why does Daniel seem to ignore even the most layman logic? Why didn't he prepare with some sort of signal flare or other emergency backup?

Of course, I'm digging deep for characters who strayed from their dive party and made their way back late to begin with. :p

The Ending:
    Not the idea, but rather the execution. Susan submerges to drown herself....but while still in a wetsuit AND without any weights?! How was she planning to stay under? And I am not going to go into the debate about whether it is actually possible to drown oneself in open water. In the real life account, authorities actually recovered the wetsuit with the backside ripped (shark bitten?) out, so we can assume that at one point the wetsuit was removed.

My theory, with her wetsuit on: I don't think she could have stayed under with the wetsuit on and NO weights, but she could have pinned herself under the bottom rocks, provided that she could reach and see them.

My theory for a better ending: Simply take the wetsuit off and then submerge yourself. It would have still given us a very poetic ending and SAVED me from writing a few paragraphs a day later. :p

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I sunk and I can't swim up. :)

10. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

Just concluded my first viewing of my "Open Water" DVD and I must say I'm a bit shaken. To sum up briefly, I found it to be a most terrifying film and very, very tragic. Magnificent believable performances from the two lead characters certainly enhanced the realism I was witnessing while the underwater cinematography as well as that of the surrounding menacing ocean were nothing short of superb. Certainly, this is one of my best DVD purchases in recent months. ;)

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I saw Open Water once, turned out to be a puddle.

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I just caught up with this one.

It's an amazing movie. Truly intense, and with some scares that didn't rely on naff 5.1 surround at high volume. I've read through the thread, and while some people have had trouble staying on topic, some of the comments are interesting. Although why we should imagine a film - any film - should be for everyone, is probably the main fault.

I thought, frankly, that it was quite flawless. That is, sure it was shot on video - didnät bother me.... The lead-up to the "action" was kind of slow..... didn't bother me. The soundtrack is pretty lame and mostly completely absent.... didn't bother me.

However, I was immersed (sic) in what was going to happen to these two people. The movie isn't Hollywood sentimental, what happens to these people is pretty matter-of-fact. Which to me made it all the more intense. A bigger budget version of this would have histronics on shore, insipid strings for the soundtrack, and a different ending. This, as it is, was a real gem.

Still, as I say, of course not for everyone. Not a big deal. For those that felt it though - as I did - you know what I mean when I say this is a very very intense film, it speaks at a level that is far deeper than "Oh look, two people stuck, now what?" I think someone made a comment along those lines early in the thread, what seems to be missing there is a sense of humanity. I don't need a dozen shocks to keep me on the edge of the seat.

This film was/is brilliant, and I'm proud to own it.

13. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

When I got this movie, I heard it was a true story. For the record, I liked Open Water alot. It was probably the best looking digital video movie I have ever seen, and I loved the use of colors. What made me really mad was
    at the end of the movie when you realize that both main characters die. That makes the whole rest of the movie basically fiction, because since everybody died, nobody knows what happened. They could have died immediately for all we know. So I felt like I had just watched the Perfect Storm.
    But the movie was still good anyway.

14. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Open Water was based on a story that was featured on an Unsolved Mysteries segment? :eek:

Too cool!

15. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Didn't really bother me to be honest. Just because it is BASED on a real story, doesn't mean it should follow ever detail, imo. I reckon I could find faults with it, but I really don't care too, it was such a memorable experience watching it for the first time.

.... oh alright, I'll mention one thing I didn't like.... I didn't like the end credit sequence......

16. hans greuber

hans greuber Guest

i just saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago.it really scared the crap out of me! i have a deep rooted fear of the ocean so it wasn't hard for this movie to scare me. ill sum up my thoughts of why the ocean scares me:
    1. you become the weakest link in the food chain!
    2. you become a human bobber.

17. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

For me it's the "not knowing what's under my feet" thing. Which actually, the woman in the movie comments on at one point. I'd have been praying for death if in that situation.

18. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I just saw this a few nights ago. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It had its moments but when it was over I just felt underwhelmed. If it really was made for $500 then its a hell of an accomplishment but it didn't do much for me.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought the ending was quite haunting, maybe as haunting as I’ve seen since Blair Witch. Just out of curiosity because for some reason I feel if you liked one there is a good chance you will like the other. How many of you like both, hated both or liked one but not the other?

20. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I loved them both, with my favorite of the two being Open Water. Still, I hope there isn't an Open Water 2: Book of Shadows in the works.