Open 24 Hours - August 18th, 2020

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 9, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Released on the festival circuit in 2018, Open 24 Hours will finally be released on blu-ray and DVD on August 18th.

Directed by Padraig Reynolds (Rites Of Spring, The Devil's Dolls).

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Looks awesome!!! I'm in.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

That looks good!

CPT HOOK likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

Price drop to $12.99 for the blu-ray via Best Buy and Amazon.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Interesting. That's a great looking poster.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Walmart should have this for 9.96 dvd on Tuesday along with The Barge People might swing by and get both

7. CPT HOOK

Will they have the blu-ray, and if so how much?

Supposedly Best Buy will be carrying the blu-ray in-store for $12.99.

8. fceurich39

Not sure but I couldn't find it on there website either just dvd.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I tried to find the Blu ray in other stores and all I could find was the DVD.

fceurich39 likes this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I know this information won't help everyone, but it's available quite cheap at the moment on Amazon UK streaming. It's 99p for a rental and £3.49 to own. I've rented it but won't have chance to watch it for a couple of days. Once I've watched it I'll post my thoughts.

11. fceurich39

Picked up the dvd at Walmart this morning along with The Barge people no blurays sold in stores.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

I pre-ordered the blu-ray, but for whatever reason Amazon stopped doing release date delivery and now deliver on the following Thursday. I kind of regret not cancelling and just picking it up from Best Buy, but too late to cancel now.

13. fceurich39

Also noticed another shudder title called The Orphan instead of original title Satan's Slaves Walmart changed it.

Colin likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

Got mine from Amazon yesterday. Given the low price, I was pleasantly surprised by the nice somewhat-holographic slipcover on this one.

IMG_20200821_151203.jpg

My old blu-ray player was getting up there in age and acting a little wonky lately, so I ordered a new one and moved the old one to a different room. When it arrived, it didn't come with an HDMI cable (my old one did, I think?). Conveniently, HDMI cables are currently backordered, so I've been waiting on those.

Long story short, at this point, I'm gonna wait for the cables and watch it on my new player when I can. So it might be a little while. Something to look forward to. In the meantime, I've been sticking mostly to streaming.

15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

My wife recently got me another blu ray player for my 2nd room and it did not come with an HDMI either. It's an LG. Not sure if that's a new norm or LG? I thought it was kinda weird too. Luckily we had an extra lying around so it wasn't an issue.

16. CPT HOOK

We might have gotten the same one, as mine is an LG too. I wanted another Panasonic, but it looks like they no longer make standard blu-ray players anymore and the options are only Sony and LG. My last Sony player crapped out after only a year (although I still use it for streaming), so I definitely didn't want another.

I'm sure it'll be here sometime next week. Or at least I hope so, as I was planning on watching Shout's Bill And Ted Collection before the new one on Friday.

Natas likes this.
  17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched this a couple of days ago. It was agreeable enough. Some nice physical gore scenes and it's fairly violent. There are same glaring mistakes which made me chuckle especially when it comes to vehicles! Poor CGI blood and an ending which made me groan. I'm glad I watched it but wouldn't want to revisit.

18. CPT HOOK

Finally got my back-ordered HDMI cable, hooked up the new player, and popped its cherry with the Open 24 Hours blu-ray. I dug it. Reminded me a little bit of something like House Of The Devil or Babysitter Wanted, only set in a gas station convenience store. I liked the characters and it had really strong atmosphere. The running time gets a little long in the tooth for this sort of movie, but it's effective enough to keep your interest. The trailers showed all the major set pieces, so there's not much here in the way of surprises, but it's just a simple little slasher movie. Those are tough to spoil. Padraig is 3 for 3 with me, as I also enjoyed the similarly atmospheric Rites Of Spring and The Devil's Dolls. He has one on NetFlix I still need to check out.

In the "making-of", it's revealed that even though they found the gas station in Mississippi (possibly the same one from the finale of Rites Of Spring, as both that and Devil's Dolls were filmed there), they found it was cheaper to film in Serbia so they built the entire gas station set from scratch there to match the one they found in Mississippi. They did an incredible job with that set. Her apartment gives away that it was filmed in Serbia, but the gas station feels incredibly authentic. I assumed it was filmed in Canada as most of the actors are Canadian.

fceurich39 likes this.