Obscure (Video Game) *XBOX*

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Obscure (Video Game) *XBOX/PS2/PC*

[​IMG]
    Well I had been eying this French-made survival horror title for a while online and was on the fence as to whether or not to lay down the whopping $19.99(USD) :p for it. Finally I bit the bullet and picked up dispite hearing reviews that claimed it was yet another predictable survival horror game.

The basic premise of this one is you are a group of four high scool students who are investigating the disappearance of one of your classmates. From there on in it is pretty much a Resident Evil game. The one major difference though is that you are constanly in groups of two. You can switch between both of these characters(or play two players at the same time!!!), and different characters have different abilities. Also, light, and the ability to cast light plays a major role in the gameplay.

Although this was likened to a Teen-horror style the likes of "Buffy" or "I know what you did.." I find myself really enjoying it. The graphics and sound are really bang-on for a game like this. I would even venture to say that this game exceeds Silent Hill: the Room's graphics. The sound you hear really does a good job of laying out a creepy atmosphere.

If you like these kinds of games, go pick this one up. I swear that some of these game reviewers must get jaded by playing too many games. They seem to glaze over the qualities that you and I, as horror fans enjoy. One reviewer seemed to be hung up on the fact that a Sum 41 song was featured in the game, and although hearing that did turn me off a bit, I'm glad I took the plunge anyways. Fuck, high school kids listen to that stuff and I'll admit, having Sum 41 on there gives the game a bit of credibility in a weird way.

I'm going to go with an 8/10 because the atmosphere is appealing enough on it's own to warrant checking it out. Couple that with the two-player aspect and you've got something special. This is one of the few titles that I can actually play with my girlfriend - she's the brains, I'm the brawn :D

Lastly, if those teen-horror films were actually like this(which they are not), I'd see the likening as a selling point, not a deturrent.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/obscure/screenindex.html

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I plan on picking this up soon...right now I'm playing through Kuon on PS2, another obscure (no pun intended ;)) survival horror game that went under everyone's radar. It's rather good...combat is pretty lame, but it's that way in 90% of these types of games. It has oozes of atmosphere though, and it's quite effective. I'd compare it to the Fatal Frame games and Siren in style...worth a look if you can find it.

I'll definitely be picking this one up soon...for $20, there's not much reason not to.

4. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Thanks for the review, Mok. This game slipped under my radar but it sounds like something I would like.