Not Quite Hollywood Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It certainly looks interesting. I saw it on the rental shelf a few days ago, but already had a couple in my hand. I enjoy quite a few Aussie films from the 70's/80's, so I'll probably give it a spin the next time I head out to rent something!

3. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

It's an excellent, fascnating and quite entertaining documentary! Watching it gave me a weird sense of national pride and a yearning to go back in time to the 70s (but admittedly I do get that yearning pretty often anyway).

4. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

It gets my stamp of approval. I just wish I had easier access to more of the movies featured in it.

5. Queen B

Queen B Guest

Great doc! Watching it, you wish modern American filmmakers would take similar risks like the Aussie's did back then.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's one of the best documentaries on genre films out there! Loved every minute of it! Highly recommended.

I'm glad it finally got a Region 1 release, now I can finally officially own it.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Saw it in the theater this summer,great flick.If you're even a casual fan of the Australian exploitation scene you'll find lots of facts and fun here.Gives you lots of DVD rental/purchase ideas too !

8. Katatonia

This was a superbly done documentary! It surprisingly listed virtually all of the Aussie films I've ever seen, or known about over the years.

This is definitely on my buy list. Tarantino looks to have had a big helping hand in getting this one made, and contributing to the disc's bonus materials.

I just did a filter in DVD Profiler, and I own 32 films on DVD/Blu-ray that originated in Australia. I probably own 5-10 more on VHS.

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just watched this and thought it was very entertaining. I had heard of some of the movies mentioned before (Dark Age, Patrick, Road Games), but never got around to watching them. Now they are at the top of my rental list along with Turkey Shoot, Dead-End Drive In, Fair Game, and many more.

10. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Wow, this was great. Netflix had it available for 'Instant View' in HD no less- it's times like this that I really enjoy my Roku player. Now I've got a long list of Aussie films to track down, even though I had seen a fair amount of the ones covered. I wish I had seen this a month or two ago, so I could have added some of them to my Christmas list. Of course I'll be picking up my own copy of this documentary first thing. Too bad it's not available on Blu ray :(

11. Darga

12. Criswell

Criswell New Member

For fans of Aussie exploitation, grap a copy of Stone. Best biker movie ever!!

13. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah Not Quite Hollywood is one of my favorite film docs. Absolutely essential viewing for fans of genre cinema!

14. Erick H.

Do you know the specs on these discs (or where to find them) ? Great titles,I'd bite if the presentation is good.Thanks for the heads up !

15. Darga

They seem to all be good anamorphic transfers for the ones I've checked out so far (Barry McKenzie, The Chain Reaction, Razorback), although I can't say how they compare to the region 1 releases (for those that have them such as Turkey Shoot, Road Games, Long Weekend and Fantasm). Most of them have bonus features too: Razorback includes the "Jaws on Trotters" documentary and Road Games includes the "Kangaroo Hitchcock" doc. Seems like a great deal, although even though they are all-region they are PAL so you'd still need an all-region player I think.

I'll come back with more info as I go through the discs.

16. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

I can tell you that our version of LONG WEEKEND is far superior to the Australian release. I did the transfer myself and even the producer was surprised ours looked better. Our DARK FORCES release (aka HARLEQUIN) is the same, but won't suffer from PAL conversion if you buy ours and FANTASM/FANTASM COMES AGAIN were transferred by me in native NTSC... the Aussie boxes just used our original transfers and converted them to PAL... so, for some of these titles, our transfers will be better for NTSC customers.

17. Erick H.

Thanks very much,sounds very exciting !

18. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Just saw this and have a wish list I'm drooling over. Any one know if these are on DVD, or have links to the best versions available?

THE MAN FROM HONG KONG
    NEXT OF KIN
    DARK AGE
    RAZOR BACK
    THE SURVIVOR
    HARLEQUIN
    SNAPSHOT
    WAKE IN FRIGHT

19. Katatonia

The Man From Hong Kong has had a couple of R4 Australian DVD releases. The best R4 DVD version came out in 2008.

Next of Kin has a nice R4 Australian DVD that's 16x9 widescreen. No bonus features. There's also a R2 Germany DVD which has a few bonus features.

Razorback has a R1 DVD release (actually a DVD-R) from Warner Archives. There is also a R2 DVD from Anchor Bay that includes a Featurette and other extras. The R4 Australian DVD has the most extensive bonus features however, including deleted scenes and a 70-minute documentary.

The Survivor has several DVD releases. There was a budget R1 DVD released by Platinum Disc that is widescreen (not anamorphic enhanced). Elite Entertainment also released a R1 DVD in one of the Aussie Horror Collection sets which is also widescreen, but says letterbox on the back cover and uses the same artwork as the Platinum Disc DVD...possibly even the same transfer.

Harlequin is also known as Dark Forces and got a nice R1 DVD from Elite Entertainment with many bonus features. This was later reissued by Synapse. There's also a R4 Australian DVD which basically has the same disc content.

Snapshot had a R1 DVD release from Elite Entertainment in one of the Aussie Horror Collection sets.

Wake in Fright has a R4 Australian DVD & Blu-ray (A/B/C region coded) that came out late last year with many bonus features included.

I usually order R4 releases from Ezy DVD in Australia, but I haven't used them in quite awhile...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  20. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Katatonia is a LEGEND! Thanks man!