Nightmare on Elm Street remake a go!

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

You're right on all counts, they should have made Dream Warriors right after the original and skipped Freddy's Revenge which for me was pointless and forgettable, aside from the opening sequence with the 'bus ride to Hell' which was very inventive. The series itself went to Hell for me on the fourth and fifth installments. To each his own..

2. adric

adric New Member

i wasnt impressed, and was fairly bored through most of it. i dont know if i can really dig freddys new motive. didnt really make sense as to why hed want to kill them now if he didnt kill them while he was alive.

i pretty much went home and planned on watching the Friday the 13th remake.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Ok, i just finished rewatching the first 5 in order, for the first time in about 5 years. Here's my take on all of them. sorry that its so long.

I was happy that the first held up as well as it did. thats really all i have to say about it - its as good as its reputation sets it up to be.

i really enjoyed the second, and i may go as far as saying its now my 3rd favorite in the series (after new nightmare and part 1, obviously). The school bus dream, the generally surreal atmosphere, and the power plant location were all excellent. But the centerpiece of that film is definitely the entire pool party scene, which just has so much going for it its shocking: fantastic effects (freddy disappearing as he bursts through the window, and walking through the hedge in a burst of flame are both incredibly effective), combined with great lighting, multiple brutal deaths, at least one of the top 5 freddy lines of the entire series ("you are all my children now."), and a really great score that drives home all the key parts. yeah, part 2 just keeps getting better each time i watch it.

part 3, on the other hand, just seems to get strangely worse. i gotta say that i was pretty bored throughout the entire thing. maybe (probably) i've just seen it too many times, but being overly familiar with the picture made all the weaknesses stand out even more. the direction is pretty by-the-numbers, and the dialogue is really pretty amateurish in a lot of scenes. more than ever, i realized that this is the film to blame, not part 4, for making freddy into a joke. freddy is pretty much a stand-up comedian throughout the whole thing. literally. every single death comes with some of the least frightening and most cringe-inducing lines in the series. "its the chair for you!" "when you wake up, its back in the saddle again." "i don't believe in fairy tales." "what's the matter? tongue-tied?" "what a rush!" "your wish is my command." "maybe if there were more of me to spread around?" even the unaccountably popular "welcome to prime time, bitch." i'm sorry, but freddy just isn't scary at all in this movie. and the kids are all wretched too. give me jesse and lisa from part 2 any day over will the wizard master, taryn (who's "beautiful...and BAD!"), joey the mime, or future WWE wanna-be kincaid ("It's time to stop guessin' and start messin'! Krueger! Where you at, you burnt-face pussy? Krueger! Pussy!" - for christ's sake, just kill me now.) I have a lot of nostalgia for part 3. not only was it the first nightmare flick i saw, it was the first horror film i ever saw, period. but people who put this over parts 2 and 4? i can't help but think they're letting nostalgia get in their way.

Because part 4, after watching it again last night, is honestly twice the film part 3 is. yeah, tuesday knight sucks, and is no replacement for patricia arquette, but she dies quickly and then shes gone. lisa wilcox as alice is actually a decently developed character, and possibly one of the few to actually have an arc (however unrealistic) in the entire series. and the direction by renny harlin is actually really interesting. the swirling over-head camera when kristin is drugged by her mom is really effective, and the camera is constantly adding to the film through changes in focus and interesting camera placement. Its just a much more interesting film to watch, and freddy himself, while still hopelessly mired in one-liners, seems honestly more menacing in this. its pure 80's cheese, for sure, and the inclusion of the kung-fu scene is certainly laughable, but i gotta say that on the whole, the acting and dialogue is a real step-up. giving alice the added drama of being personally responsible for "feeding" each of her friends to freddy adds a whole lot to her character. and the special effects in this film are really great - the souls in freddy's chest, his hellraiser-style rebirth in the junk-yard, the tunnel of souls, the cockroach-girl scene, the "wanna suck face?" death, all really well-done.

now on to part 5. this is a real disappointment. not just because its bad (which it is), but because there are certain scenes and ideas in it that really work quite well, and its a shame they couldn't have made the rest of the movie up to par. i really like the whole opening to this one. alice in the shower is well shot, and effectively scary. the atmosphere continues through her first experience in the asylum, but about half-way through it just becomes strangely boring. i think once the inmates show up. it just goes downhill. dan's death on the motorcycle/in the truck is pretty good, especially since he's the only character besides alice that we actually care about, thanks to part 4. when he's gone, its just alice (now minus the appealing arc, and reduced to being pretty annoying) and the others - who suck without exception. also, the idea of the babies dreams being responsible for pulling the rest of them in is a great idea, and it makes for a good mystery. but its not played right at all. it could have been a great mystery with a fantastic moment of realization, but the film just blows its wad way too early with this one, and it goes back to being boring. the only other thing i liked, and this in a purely comic-book type of way, was the image of freddy being dragged towards his mother at the end by 3 tendrils extending from his back with the heads of the three dead kids at the end. each head is really stylized, and its only at that point that you see a kind of pattern in their deaths, how each had some interesting make-up effects associated with their deaths. if any freddy figure ever deserved an action figure to be based around it, it was this one. actually a pretty cool image. the rest of the film unequivocally blows. the blandest characters, the most uninteresting deaths, the worst freddy makeup (he looks completely plastic, and - am i dreaming this? - kind of fat), and possibly the worst, most embarrassing scene in the entire series ("its...SUPER FREDDY!").

anyway, thats my take on the first five.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

We really see eye to eye on this... I'm pretty sure that sequence and the pool party sequence are the only reasons that I deem that film to be "tolerable" rather than "garbage." :D

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

You know, I have to agree with you that one.

I will always be very fond of it because of how young and impressionable I was when I saw it, but seeing it on the big screen last year on Halloween was ... well, it was very anticlimactic. On the big screen, all of that film's numerous flaws are soooo obvious.

I had always thought of number 2 as my least favorite until last year when I rewatched it for the first time in years, and it really pleasantly surprised me. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have a lot of great moments and some nice subtextual themes going for it (yes, I'm talking about the gay subtext ... the almost embarrassingly obvious gay subtext).

I need to give 4 another watch soon. 5 I've only seen once (it was banned in Iceland for years! I think it actually still is!!) and thought it was pretty lame.

I do want to give a shout out for Freddy's Dead, which I've always thought was unfairly maligned. Sure, it probably has the very worst moments of all the Elm Street films, but there are a few cool scenes in there too. (Blame my love on nostalgia ... Freddy's Dead was the first horror film I ever saw). It's definitely more fun than 5.

New Nightmare is wonderful in so many ways.

6. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

One big concern pops up for me during my viewing of the first five films in succession over the past two weeks (I'll probably be tackling Freddy's Dead tonight):
    Is it just me, or does Freddy's makeup get WORSE with each subsequent film?
    In the original, he looks very... juicy... like the face of a real burn victim trying to heal. In each of the following films, he seems to look progressively drier and more rubbery, the latex origins of his makeup becoming more and more apparent. If this was a series with a constantly declining budget (such as so many other horror franchises whose sequels declined from the big screen to direct to video, I would understand, but, for the most part, didn't the budget INCREASE throughout the series?

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Just got back from the remake and I thought it was ok. If I hadn't watched the original on blu the other day, I may have enjoyed this a bit more.

8. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I've talked about this ad nauseum with friends, so I won't get too deep on this: it sucked a big one.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

All in all it's average remake and that's not saying much. I really thought they picked the right guy to pass the torch to with Jackie Earle Haley. Honestly though he didn't add much to the role. It felt like a check list of all the original scenes but not done nearly as well. The first half was very uninteresting and I couldn't wait for the Kris character to the get killed off. It did pick up after that and I didn't mind the exploration of the back story but all and all it failed to rise above any memorable level.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i agree, and i think thats the problem. despite being competently made, i can't imagine myself wanting to watch it again any time soon. it just didn't have anything special about it, no real charm. if this movie had come out on its own, i can't imagine it would have inspired many sequels, if any. it just wasn't terribly interesting. i prefer the friday remake to this, definitely. at least that was fun.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I still have to re-watch part 2 as I haven't seen it in quite a bit. From what I remember it's slow at parts but has some really great stuff in it and at least tries to do something different with Freddy.

Part 3 I still enjoy. It's not great and often feels like a a bunch of clips thrown together but I thought it was nice to have a Freddy and Nancy "final showdown", which I admit could have been better.

Part 4 is iffy with me and I really didn't enjoy it much the last time I saw it.

As for part 5, well that's a complete waste of time in my eyes. I also haven't seen Freddy's Dead in a few years but I know that ones not going to be good.

I'm sort of disappointed about the remake now seeing as it's being thrashed by bad reviews. I have yet to see it and I'm still interested in doing so but my expectations are at rock bottom now. Especially after hearing that Freddy uses the line "hows this for a wet dream?"

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

you know what, i didn't mind that bit at all. his delivery was sadistic and mocking, as opposed to just campy and one-liner-ish. Also, it happened during the
    goo-floor
    scene, which was one of the few scenes that i was actually impressed with. the combination of the line and the situation actually worked really well, and of all the direct references to the original series, that was one of my favorites. unlike, say, the
    coming out of the wall above the bed
    thing, which is just pointless, and not nearly as good as the original, practical version.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'll have to see the film before I can judge anything. That line just seems a bit too comical. Even if it was used in a darker context.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, the movie didn't break from the formula like the Friday remake did, so I'll give it that. It may have been a bit repetitious, but I thought what it did add that was fresh, namely more backstory for the Freddy character and a bit of a murder mystery, it did quite well. Nothing overly memorable, but a fun time, nonetheless. I liked the more realistic approach they took with Freddy's makeup, and Haley surprisingly pulled it off. He was a nasty little man.

15. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I was sooooooo bored with this one. It felt completely unispired. And, I'll say it again, Freddy looks just like Raplh Fiennes in The English Patient. I kept expecting a cameo from Juliette Binoche.

Anyway, it was no fun at all.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Haley was great, the rest left me feeling ehh, except the bitch who played Nancy, I wanted her dead from the frist frame!

This is what is wrong with the re-makes and newer generation of horror movies, we concentrate so much on the villians we forget the heroes and end up with zombies like this. Seriously, she made Kristen Stewart look like a decent actress!

The origonal Nightmare and Halloween movies, strong but vunerable and lovable female leads. Those movies worked so well because I didn't want to see these girls get killed, I wanted to jump into the movie and help them! The remakes, I want to jump in the screen and kill them myself! But then I wait and hope it happens knowing damn fucking well it won't...
    I was buying in so hard to first act of Nightmare hoping they flipped the story and would follow Chris and whack Nancy. Not that Chris was great, Nancy was just that bad. Hire someone we can care for producers, you missed bigtime on this girl!

Nice to see Freddy as a real menace again, he'd become a joke.

One last thought, when did Elm Street move from the subs to high-rent gated-community? Everyone lived in a mini-mansion. Even harder to care for kids who live houses that big!

17. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Good comparison. I also thought of Gary Oldman in Hannibal, which I found to be a creepier character than Freddy was here. In fact, Fiennes was creepier.

18. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Really? And these are the people that burned Freddy alive? And not even for murder but molestation? Seems less and less plausible the more I hear about it. Also it is more plausible to believe that parents could hide Freddy and his murderous past from the kids in the original than what seems to be group memory repression in the remake. I haven't seen this and have no intention of giving Platinum Dunes any of my money. The only way to protest these remakes is to not see them. They will still be made since they have bankable franchise names but they will make less money if we who are disgusted with shitty and/or unnecessary remakes don't pay to see them. I avoid these remakes on principal. Maybe I am missing out. But I still can say that I didn't support this horseshit hollywood movement to remake anything that has made money in the past.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That's surprising as my experience was the the compete opposite. The Nancy character wasn't great but I thought the Kris character was bar far the least interesting of the bunch. Actually the more I think about it, IMO every single person in the film was miscast including Jackie Haley.

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member