Night of the Creeps will be in HD!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by indiephantom, Jul 28, 2009.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm not sure if it was afternoon glare or what, but I swear the dvd for True Romance (the 2-disc) looked better than the BD. The BD was too dark and didn't offer much if any better resolution when I compared 3-4 scenes back to back. The dvd colors had more life and the scene at Drexel's was clearer since the BD was too dark, losing details in the blacks. At least that's one title I won't have to worry about upgrading, although it sucks as i was looking forward to getting one of my favs on Blu. Thankfully I read reviews first which said it wasn't great, so then I checked the BD out from the library to see for myself. Even long city shots didn't differ much from DVD to BD. Oh yeah, and way too much dnr making faces look plastic.

2. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

yo, read the blu-ray reviews on dvd talk, and you will see most older films dont transfer over well on blu-ray... now if only we could get direct rips onto dvd from the Monsters HD that would be cool, cause thats a clean transfer.

3. ronnie21

i also hate when people do dvd reviews, and review the movie only. and say nothing about the picture or audio. i mean arent theere thousands of reviews of the movie on the net anyway..

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've got news for you... film is generally grainy by its very nature. With increased resolution and detail, you're going to notice the natural film grain present.

Regardless, Night of the Creeps looks and sounds fantastic on Blu-ray, and there's no way the DVD could beat it in this case, especially since they both come sourced from the same master transfer.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Here we come to the grain issue again. Yeah, you might have more grain with a blu-ray release, but that's only because the image is clearer. Grain is in film. It's a part of it. You're going to see it, especially in HD films. It's there in the DVD versions too, it's just too blurry to see. But hey, if you like less detail and duller colors, fine by me. And I would like to know of some films where the DVD is better than the blu-ray.

EDIT: Didn't know Katatonia covered much of what I said. My bad.

6. ronnie21

ok, got the blu-ray today. great. it does look really good. great colors. i wasnt expecting a star wars transfer. but it did however look great. i just wonder how much diffrent the dvd looks compared to it.

7. ronnie21

i just go by alot of reviews on dvd talk, iam telling ya, in alot of cases, they rate the picture quality higher on the dvd than the blu-ray. for example, thier rating system goes by 1 out of 5 stars. In the case of FALLING DOWN which came out both on dvd and blu-ray. the dvd's picture quality rated 5 stars, and the blu-ray only rated 4. see, not even movie is gonna look perect on blu-ray. just because it's blu-ray...

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

:lol: Yeah but a 4 star Blu Ray is still better then a 5 star DVD. You can't do comparisons like that is all they are saying is that for DVD it looks great but for Blu Ray it's not as good as it could be. It is still far better then the DVD. A 3 star Blu Ray still probably still looks better then a 5 star DVD. Try checking out sites that focus on Blu Ray like High Def Digest or Blu Ray.com. They will always state that compared to other Blu Rays it's not phenomenal but that it still looks better then the DVD. So although it may not get a high rating in picture quality is still looks better then the standard DVD. I don't think I have read a review that stated that the DVD looks better.

There are some cases like Halloween or Bram Stoker's Dracula where it can be argued that the DVD is better because they messed with the colours for their new masters, but even those look better in the sense that they show more details and clarity.

And like a few have mentioned, grain isn't a bad thing. It's how film should look.

And I also disagree that most older films look bad on Blu Ray. Some of the best Blu Ray transfers are on older films such Casablanca or Wizard of Oz. Usually with older films they spend more time re mastering for hi def.

Oh, and if you read any reviews that actually compare the two, everyone states that the Falling Down Blu Ray still looks better then the DVD. The DVD got higher marks because again for DVD it looks great, but by Blu Ray standards it only looks good.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny, but I saw Night of the Creeps at Walmart today and even though I had planned to buy it I set it right back on the shelf and walked away. Know why? The SHITTY cover, of course! Don't get me wrong, I knew what it was going to look like, but somehow it's even worse in the flesh (so to speak). Ugh. Hopefully it will be reissue later on with an alternate cover. One can only hope. No way am I going to have that thing stinking up my collection, and I'll be damned if I create my own.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I don't expect perfection. Nothing will be perfect. A substantial improvement is all that I expect. And yeah, blu-rays are rated on a different scale than standard DVD's, as noted on every blu-ray review on this site.

11. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

You are one crazy guy LOL. To each his own I guess.

12. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't care if the cover is crappy (and it is crappy) you put a kick ass movie back on the shelf and should be bitch slapped with a mace for doing so.

But I still like you Maybrick.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

same here i got the blu-ray version last tuesday then friday i had a gift card to use so i decided what the hell i got the dvd version as well

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

Agreed; cover is crappy but it is what's on the disc that really matters.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

:lol: Looking for any old reason to save money, I guess. I'll probably get it at some point, but not until it gets marked down to $6 like Monster Squad was. But I'm glad I put Creeps back on the shelf because I noticed Walmart is doing a massive restocking today. I checked out the prices and titles on the shelves where all the gaps were and saw that they'll be selling all of the Seasons of X-Files for $14 starting today. Great time to complete my collection!

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't own a Blu-ray player so the DVD will do just fine.

18. ronnie21

i actually made my own cover for creeps. its looks a hell of alot better than the one the came up with..

19. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yuck, the DVD comes in one of those eco-cases? I hate those flimsy things. At least the Blu-ray has double-sided artwork, so thanks Sony! :lol:

Seriously, why after 10+ years of DVD do they suddenly decide to start cutting holes in cases? I'd prefer thinner cases over that crap. And it's not just with DVD cases either, they do it with Blu-ray cases also. They're especially hypocritical when they have those and then also come packaged with a Slip Cover that has identical artwork...yeah I'm talking about you Lionsgate. :fucked: