News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

So several of you have this UK 4k ultra steelbook. Though as of my writing no reviews??? WTF have become blu-ray dot cum? o_O Yadi yadi cum on review review!! :p

wago70 likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully they get you a replacement ASAP. We already had to wait over seven months to get the discs.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Finally heard back from them and was told a replacement disc would be sent! They were actually really good about it despite the wait.

Workshed, Steel76, hots4 and 4 others like this.
  4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Damn still no reviews of the 4K disc???

5. Zombie Dude

Maybe it has something to do with this release being crowd funded?

Katatonia likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That would be my guess also...

The Blu-ray in the set looks good though. I still personally prefer the Synapse "Restoration" though, and the Audio tracks are superior on the Synapse as well.

I thought the Bonus Features were superior to the Synapse release though. The "Restoration" documentary was especially enlightening.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

I don't think the Bluray in that set is much indication of the 4k disc as they came from different sources. That's what I seem to remember them saying.

I haven't gone through the Blu-ray discs yet but now I definitely want to check some of those features out. I do find those restoration type features really interesting.

Katatonia likes this.
  8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I've finally got a 4K TV, and compared both the blu and 4k disc (cult film Release).

I think they are from the same print and the comparison shots I believe confirm this.

Honestly, with the fantastic upscaling the TV does, I was hard pushed to see any discernable difference.

10. MorallySound

Yes, both the Italian CDE release and the crowd-funded CultFilms release utilize the exact same transfer which is the Italian 4k scan/restoration.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw Suspiria once as a kid and didn't like it at all. I remember it being extremely boring. But I decided it was finally time to revisit via Synapse's 2-disc blu-ray.

For the first 15 minutes, I thought it was a masterpiece. Not just the vicious and elaborate murder scene, but the score, the rain, the ominous cab ride, the woods, everything. I was completely drawn in. Perfection.

After that, it kind of settled into the mundane. Gorgeous production design and all that, and certainly punctuated by some fantastic sequences, but as a whole I thought it was just okay. I definitely appreciated it more this time, but I still don't think it's the horror masterpiece everyone else seems to think it is.

The Synapse blu-ray looks gorgeous, but I found it incredibly lacking in the extras department. There's a full hour of fans and film scholars talking about things we already know from simply watching the movie. I want to hear from the people involved. We only get 15 minutes with one of the actresses, who comes off as a bit full of herself. I'm sure they tried for more, but the rest of what's here is all irrelevant. 2-Discs for 15 minutes of worthwhile extras and the trailers.

I do love that goofy American trailer though. Makes it look like The Majorettes or Girls Nite Out or something.

12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Spot on.

13. Zombie Dude

I've compared the 4k release and the Synapse one. The 4k disc definitely has a nice crisp image but I think Synapse has better colour grading. It's a shame they didn't do a UHD disc.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

15. MorallySound

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  16. Steel76

I hope he 4K upgrades Demons and Tenebre in the future.

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

More info on the 4K release: https://rue-morgue.com/exclusive-details-art-synapse-is-releasing-suspiria-on-4k-ultrahd-disc/

This new UHD edition of SUSPIRIA will hit November 19, showcasing Synapse’s exclusive 4K restoration of the uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative, with color correction supervised and approved by cinematographer Luciano Tovoli and presented in true 2160p. Argento’s chiller about a ballet student (Jessica Harper) discovering grotesque horrors at a European dance academy will also be graced with an all-new Dolby Atmos audio remix and high dynamic range presentation, an Italian 5.1 Surround mix and the original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio with newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles. Also included are the alternate all-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching.

“SUSPIRIA is the ultimate genre film to make the jump to UHD,” Don May, Jr., president of Synapse Films, tells RUE MORGUE. “With the beautiful color palette and directional audio, there was no better candidate to set the standard for older catalog titles for this new 4K format. We went back to the original 4K files and basically started over, reconfiguring the theatrical DCI-P3 color space for UHD’s expanded color palette and utilized high dynamic range. I couldn’t believe it was possible, but the film looks even more jaw-dropping. The high dynamic range looks amazing without corrupting the original photographic intent. We also made the decision to add a Dolby Atmos remix for the release, just to have a little fun with the format.”

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  18. Steel76

I can't fucking wait to see the movie with HDR.

Angelman likes this.
  19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Ordered.

Steel76 likes this.
  20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member