New PHANTASM "Sphere Collection" (new 4K transfer for II & new bonus content) – October 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Mar 28, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my old set due to the shit packaging, but would buy a standalone release of Part II if made available.

Horrorphilly and Zombie Dude like this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's got to have a separate release, I don't think it will be for a while, get the sets sold for the people who can't wait, then drop the standalone.

They wouldn't go through all the cost just to put it into a limited edition set.

3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

My order just shipped out!

And another unboxing video:

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Wow, the packaging is even worse than I thought!

That outer box looks so flimsy. I imagine a lot of people ordering online will get them extremely damaged.

Also, the discs are stored in the bottom, so you have to take the whole sphere out to get to them. When he took the book out, one of the discs just fell right out!

So glad I got the first boxset! Will swap out 2 once available.

Katatonia likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it's pretty flimsy apparently:

[​IMG]

Kim Bruun likes this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

can't understand how they have valued this at $100, seems very steep to me!

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

My jaw drops that after 20 years retailers still use those wire anti-theft devices. I mean, who really wants to buy or steal them now that you’ve clearly damaged the product? Great job, Best Buy and Walmart!

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I have the old WELL GO! set and its beautiful, is the uncut part 2 that much different? The bluray has got to be really cheap for me to re-buy the movie again. That reminds me I need to dig in to that set.

Sean

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

If you go to the deleted scenes on your disc you can see the footage from the workprint.

There are two scenes, the bloodspray from the sphere attack (no idea why the MPAA made them cut this, when they allowed it in the original phantasm) and the sphere in the mouth scene, you see the sphere penetrate the blokes back.

fceurich39 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The MPAA got much harder to deal with in the 80:s.

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

True that, not as bad as the BBFC here, they were fucking terrible.

Steel76 likes this.
  12. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

True. The distributor of Scavolini's Nightmare was actually sentenced to prison time for releasing the film without the BBFC prescribed edits.

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

And the guess the weight of the brain competition he was running with the release!

14. Katatonia

So I received my old $88.97 pre-order from Bullmoose earlier today... which was just in time for some Christmas money to be used on that. They packed it to survive a nuclear war + shipped it by Priority Mail, so it arrived mint.

The actual "Sphere" replica is far nicer than the cheap one that came in the Arrow Blu-ray set. It's larger, heavier, made of better materials — it just looks much better.

I popped in the new disc for Phantasm II just to see, and the new "director's cut" 4K transfer looks like quite a nice imrpovement.

Also, it sounds like this set is going to be "hard to find" at retailers (except boutiques like Diabolik) just as the old Well Go set was. Bullmoose do not expect to get any more of them in stock.

15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

My Bullmoose order came in, as well. Their packaging was, likewise, fantastic. I wish I could say the same of Well Go's box; it's just so thin and flimsy that, as well packed as it was, it still arrived with a small rip and slight creasing at the window's corners. I gave myself a nice paper cut, too, just trying to bypass the sphere to get to the Blu-Ray case at the bottom.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. Katatonia

Yeah, the actual box is indeed rather flimsy... but mine was thankfully fine as far as the window's corners and such.

I also agree that it's cumbersome to remove the Blu-ray case out of the actual box and also to place it back in from the top if you want "The Phantasm Collection" to show correctly at the bottom as well. I think they surely could have done a far better job with the box implementation, but it is what it is I suppose.

They also kind of skimped by not including the "Book" (or a poster) in this new set. I'm definitely keeping the old Well Go set just for the package, cover artwork and book. I'm considering parting with my Arrow set at some point though.

17. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Somebody fill me in because I'm very confused. So basically this release is limited and available for purchase on release date nowhere? So if you got it, it's because you either found a place to pre order it? Or you just got lucky and found some place selling it somewhere? It's releases like this that really take the piss out of collecting movies. This is a huge fuck you to fans and a huge money opportunity for scalpers. To add salt to the wounds the entire packaging is shit...... Or am I completely wrong? Allot of people online bitch and moan about the business practices of like dark force entertainment etc etc... But this release is gets a pass and is considered perfectly acceptable?!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’m definitely not a fan of Wellgo, and am still actively holding out hope for another Arrow release.

Zombie Dude and Dobby like this.
  19. Katatonia

Yeah, pretty much. But if it's Hellraiser or Phantasm, I'm always in if it's something new and better. If it was another franchise, I'd be more likely to pass it over.

Dobby likes this.
  20. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Wellgo USA business practices are deceptive. Thank you for the replies confirming my suspicions.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020