NEW Lucio Fulci DVD Release! AenigmA

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by KR~!, May 23, 2006.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Lucio Fulci (THE BEYOND, ZOMBI), the "Godfather of Gore," helms this CARRIE inspired shocker about a girl named Kathy whose stint at St. Mary's School is cut short when the other girls play a prank on her that sends her into a coma. However, from within her coma, Kathy uses her powers of telekinesis to take over the body of Eva and exact her revenge on the girls of St. Mary's through her. Featuring the justly famed "snail attack," AENIGMA is filled with the imaginative and gruesome horror sequences that are Fulci's trademark.

DVD FEATURES
    Widescreen (1.85:1) Version
    Italian and English audio options
    Optional English subtitles
    Trailer
    Audio Commentary by Antonio Tentori (Italian audio only)

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=7690

This film had a R1 release but with no extras and only the dub track.

This version is uncut and has both audio tracks, subs, Audio Commentary, and trailer.

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

fantastic, underated gem..............

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Should be fun.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Never seen it before but it sounds like fun.

5. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

I don't think many of the US Euroshock dvds got produced..it was cancelled pretty soon after its release.The print was cut anyway..

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I have the original DVD - it's not too pretty. But then, this was part of the "Fulci Declines" series. Goofy nonsense this one. Love it. Probably won't double-dip though.

7. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Fulci in decline? Yeah, nevermind he had very limited means in making the movie, limited time, money and producer interference. Sure it was because of his decline and not because he wasn't allowed to make what he wanted.

i'm surprised though that even ppl who are supposed to be knowledgeable about cinema, like dwatts, resort to that kind of thing 'Fulci in decline' as if there had been a consensus to put Fulci down on stupid reasons which have nothing to do with his part in the works and completely ignore the facts and inflame the idea of Fulci as a hack under the disguise of liking and admiring his work.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Look, I have supported Fulci on these boards for a long time. I love his films, and have been vocal in saying so. However, this film is not a good one. We can make excuses for it, state the reasons, take into account circumstance - but the fact is, this is lesser Fulci. The reasons why are beside the point, the end result is what we're talking about here.

Take, for instance, Demonia. Not only is a huge chunk of film missing (apparently never shot), but the major gore shot of man being torn in two is so ineptly done it looks like a Python sketch. Saying so doesn't mean I don't love Fulci, that I don't enjoy Demonia, or that Fulci isn't worthy of attention. it simply acknowledges the film has severe flaws because the time frame in which it was made was a period of cinematic decline for the guy.

Have you read the book on Fulci by Stephen Thrower? He's pretty much of the same opinion on late Fulci. I'd say there is a consensus and general agreement that Fulci's films dropped off in quality toward the end. Most of us know why this was, but it simply doesn't change the facts. Maybe to you those are "stupid reasons", but I disagree. A bad script, poor actors, poor cinematography, poorly executed FX, are therefore bad movies are ultimately down to Fulci. If they're not, then when things went right we can't credit him.

Fulci certainly did some hacking, mate. When he got it right he was brilliant. It's rare that he totally bores me, but I'd be lying if I wrote that it never happened :D

9. Luna

Luna Guest

I won't be double-dipping on Aenigma. It's not on par with some of his other, better work as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I fell asleep. This isn't quite as bad as Manhattan Baby, but it's really not all that far from it. Now that I think about it, at least Manhattan Baby had Bob and some good music by Fabio Frizzi, instead of that cheesy as hell "Head Over Heels" song in Aenigma. :lol:

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

from other thread

Sacateca you approach Fulci on a theoritical basis and that provides many ways to ignore the fact that Roberto Rosselini (since we put theory on the table, we must go back to the history of italian cinema) made Rome Open City with a fraction of the budget Fulci probably had in Touch Of Death, let alone Aenigma. Same thing with Mario Moniccelli or horror masters Jaques Tourner, Ricardo Freda or Mario Bava and Georges Franju in France for that matter. He worked with peanuts at the end of his career, we all know that. But we have seen even cheaper and much better films from other filmakers along the road, or even before that. Sure you get worse f/x with less money. But pacing doesn't get better with more money. It doesn't gets worse with less money either. Fulci chosed from one point of his carrer to devote himself to the horror genre and there are some rules there, I think we all agree to that. And when I use the term "pacing" I don't mean slow or fast pacing, just the right sense of pacing (I cannot imagine a fast-paced Clean Shaven, an extremely cheap film btw). That's just one of the miscalculated things you find in films like Sodoma's Ghost, Touch of Death, Daemonia etc. As he got old and sick he lost that. The absence of Dardano Sacchetti hurt him too of course, proving his weakness in scriptwritting. He could find interesting ideas but he could not develop them. The first film he decided to write entirely hilmself was Touch Of Death. Not exactly David Mammet.

While I say that, I too believe that Fulci had certain issues that he explored in every film of his, social hostility being the most obvious one of them (from Beatrice Cenci to the wonderful Don't Torture the Duckling and from City of the Living Dead 'till his last film Door to Silence) but that doesn't make all his films good, in the same way it doesn't make all of Fellini's or Bergman's films good.

With less words: I think you're a fan and that's cool. I dig Fulci myself and admire some of his films. I like some of his bad films too. But I get the feel that you try to impose what you feel on others using the "you don't get it" trick. It's an old trick and we do get it.

Hope I don't sound stupid.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  11. Luna

Luna Guest

Excellent points, Chaostar.

It's not a question of the horror connoisseur not being sophisticated enough to get Fulci at his worst... not at all. In fact that puts Fulci up on a pedestal that no human should be on, in my opinion, while calling the viewer stupid for having valid opinions about films that truly are below the quality of his other works. He was human like all of us and had his flaws and faults, as did his body of work. Not everything he crapped out was gold.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

If we disliked Fulci, we wouldn't talk about him so much :) Frankly, Fulci has become defined by the final third of his movies, too many people either praise or dismiss him while seeing so little of his output....

The main reason for posting though is this:

That gave me a good belly laugh, thanks man!

13. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I'm rediscovering Fulci at the moment.After watching Murderrock a couple of weeks ago I want to see more of his later underappreciated (by some) stuff.So bring on the goodies!The more choice we have (in different DVD releases),the better.

14. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Does anyone have the MP3 of the sappy love song from this movie? I nearly burst into hysterics when that tune played.

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I love Fulci, but this flick I found a struggle to get through. :sleepy:

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

First-time viewing last night. It's a lot less Carrie-inspired than it is Suspiria-inspired. Hell, even the soundtrack strives for a Goblin-esque synthesized spookiness (theme song aside, of course!), plus the plot shares similarities (a young woman who begins classes at a school that is haunted, etc.). But otherwise, this was bland stuff and it ran way, way too long.

That theme song, though, wow.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Death by snail.

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

That was fucking awesome and set an insurmountable bar.

Angelman likes this.