New Code Red Blu Bundle - MESSIAH OF EVIL, BROTHERHOOD OF DEATH, More

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Sep 21, 2014.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Code Red have a preorder up for a new four-release bundle of Blu-Rays, including Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz's surreal Southern CA living dead outing MESSIAH OF EVIL (1973), Bill Berry's "Football Stars vs. The Klan" blaxploiter BROTHERHOOD OF DEATH (1976), Terry Bourke's psychotic handyman Ozploitation thriller LADY, STAY DEAD (1981), and Richard Lerner's "Teens Rule the School" sex comedy freakout REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS (1976). The titles are also available separately, but you save a little bit of $ ordering the bundle over individually.

http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/product/new-release-blu-ray-4-bundle-pack

[​IMG]

MESSIAH OF EVIL

After receiving a series of chilling letters from her reclusive father, Arletty (Mariana Hill, High Plains Drifter) drives to the remote seaside town of Pointe Dune to discover the reason for her father's developing madness. Upon her arrival, she encounters a mysterious trio of strangers investigating a local legend known as "The Blood Moon"... a curse that has transformed the inhabitants of the town into a terrifying horde of blood-thirsty maniacs!

Also starring Michael Greer (Fortune and Men's Eyes), cult starlets Joy Bang and Anitra Ford, and screen legends Royal Dano and Elisha Cook, Jr., Messiah Of Evil is a unique shocker from the minds of Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz (Oscar-nominated screenwriters of American Graffiti). A visual masterpiece finally brought to home video in its original scope aspect ratio, Messiah Of Evil is unlike any horror film you've ever seen. Enter Pointe Dune and prepare to be spellbound...

* Audio Commentary with Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, moderated by Lee Christian
    * Featurette: Remembering Messiah of Evil edited by Damon Packard
    * Short films by Huyck and Katz: The Bride Stripped Bare, Down These Mean Streets

[​IMG]

BROTHERHOOD OF DEATH

When Soul Brothers Meet The Klu Klux Klan, The Sheets Are Gonna Hit The Fan! Pro football legends Mike Thomas, Roy Jefferson and Mike Bass star as Vietnam vets who return to their redneck hometown only to find the local Klan has triggered a frenzy of racism, rape and murder. But this brotherhood learned all about guerilla combat and sadistic torture while fighting Whitey's war...and now the KKK is gonna pay! Haskell Anderson from the creator of THE BLACK GESTAPO comes a new action film that flooded the audience in the 70s!

* Brand New HD masters from the original Camera Negatives.
    * BONUS! TV version from a 16mm print
    * interview with star Haskell Anderson
    * original theatrical trailer

[​IMG]

LADY STAY DEAD

This is a low-budget horror movie about a psychopathic gardener with a penchant for killing off young women, undoubtedly due to some twisted psycho-sexual malfunction that leads him to rape his first victim before drowning her in a fish tank. His second female victim is dispatched when she catches sight of him carrying off corpse #1. Victim #3 is targeted -- she is the sister of #1 -- but she manages to escape into a beach house as a temporary defense of sorts. Meanwhile, two security police spot the demonic psycho trying to smash into the house, and when they go to capture him, one is killed and the other battles the psycho in a swimming pool. Just when the end seems near, however, the crazed killer rises again -- the menace, it seems, has not been laid to rest.

[​IMG]

REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS

The cheerleading team at Aloha High are popular with their fellow students (except for a couple of stuck-up rich girls), but they're a major cause of the school's lecherous reputation for underage sex and drug abuse. The fun-loving gals spike the lunchroom spaghetti sauce with a concoction of pot, pills, and powders, hold wild orgies in the boys' locker room, and never bother to attend their classes. The school board considers a merger with Aloha's biggest rivals, the vocational school Lincoln High, but the cheerleaders refuse to mix with the low-class juvenile delinquents that go there. A new principal, ex-Marine Hall Walker (Norman Thomas Marshall), might whip the school into shape, but it'll mean forcing the cheerleaders out of the squad and back into the classroom. Though the girls prove their importance to Aloha spirit at the crucial moment of a big basketball game, it turns out that more sinister forces are at work when the school is blown up and the principal is kidnapped. It's up to the cheerleaders to save the day and unravel a conspiracy to steal Aloha High's land for a shopping mall.Carl Ballantine, David Hasselhoff, and genre vet Rainbeaux Smith appear in this energetic sex comedy.

* THE MOVIE (LETTERBOXED) in HD
    * THE MOVIE (FULL SCREEN VERSION) in HD
    * AUDIO COMMENTARY with director/writer/producer Richard Lerner & director of photography Nathaniel Dorsky

I have trailers posted at the Cinema Arcana FB page, is anyone's interested.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm glad that I held off on Messiah of Evil then. The DVD came out about the time I switched to blu ray and made the decision not to go back. This will be mine.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Messiah will be a definite pick up !

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

5. Christy

Christy Active Member

Hey have any of you received your orders yet? Do any of you know if these have been delayed by any chance?

6. Katatonia

Delayed I would imagine, although one review for MOE is now up. I haven't heard of anybody receiving anything in the mail yet. There's been no update on Facebook or on the webstore item pages however, so who knows.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  7. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Brotherhood of Death and Lady Stay Dead say they are expecfed to begin shipping as late as "around" 10/25.

8. Katatonia

It appears that perhaps these might be shipping now... or at least the "bundle" listing for the 4 has been removed from the store. I recall Bill stated that would be removed when the titles start shipping.

9. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

People on Facebook and blu-ray.com have been posting pictures of their discs so they definitely have started shipping.

10. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I've only seen one photo, of a guy showing the 4 titles on his lap in his car, but that single shot prompted me to finally preorder a copy of Lady Stay Dead. These appear to be the only new BD titles that Code Red will publish for a while, at least that's what it seems like. Still waiting for upgrades for Sweet Sixteen, The Strangeness, Dead Pit and many others. Even if he has nothing new as far as titles I'll be happy with just the upgrades. I have very little interest in sexploitation or kung fu.

11. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Code Red already has a pre-order bundle available for their next wave of Milligan titles so there's obviously more blu-rays on the horizon. Also he was recently polling about prior Code Red releases to upgrade.

http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/product/pre-book-three-blu-ray-andy-milligan-films-limited-edition

There have been other photos of the Messiah of Evil etc bundle. Bill tweeted on 10/21/14 that he was getting the discs incoming so they're on way, hoping to get mine today.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. Katatonia

I received these four in the mail earlier today.

...opened Lady Stay Dead, and it literally looked like somebody had their hand in peanut butter and put thumb prints on the disc's play side. With a bit of rubbing it finally cleared off... damn cheap disc replicators! :freak:

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Gross. Glad I only ordered Messiah then.

14. Katatonia

Oh... and on Revenge of the Cheerleaders it's labeled to include a Full Screen version, which is slightly inaccurate.

The difference I can easily tell is that the "Letterboxed" labeled version on the disc is actually more like a 1.66:1 ratio, with bars on the side of the screen. It is definitely wider than 1.33:1 would look.

The "Full Screen" labeled version on the disc (which looks the best) is actually 1.78:1...and definitely not 1.33:1. So you get two differently matted versions, but no actual un-matted "Full Screen" version of the film.

It almost looks like they are from two different prints, but I'm not positive on that.

I believe those two probably just got flipped on the disc, since what's labeled as the "Full Screen" version is actually the most "Letterboxed". Not a complaint, just pointing it out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

How's the quality of the art sleeve? Judging from online pics it looks like a bad xerox job on discount paper. This won't take away from my enjoyment of the film but, still, ya know? :)

16. Katatonia

The sleeve looks okay... but yeah, the coverart has a somewhat cheap Xerox'ed look to it when you look at it up close.

The transfer looks pretty good though, at least it takes up about 22gb in size. And it does have an optional Katarina Leigh Waters segment introducing and closing the film.

Revenge of the Cheerleaders on the other hand has 2 cuts of the film on a single-layer, so the bitrate sucks there. I would have just preferred one cut on the disc using a higher bitrate, since they're both matted anyway.

17. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Mine arrived today too. "Brotherhood of Death" was a floater but I didn't notice any major scratches. No peanut butter on any of the discs. ;)

The "Lady Stay Dead" cover art does look cheap but since I'm unfamiliar with this one maybe that's the way the original art looked. Or maybe they had to do some Photoshop job to create a cover where none existed before? The art on the actual disc is as bad or even worse. Haven't played the disc but the stills from the movie on the back cover look quite good.

18. Katatonia

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I received Messiah of Evil in today's mail, just 4 days after ordering. Can't wait to watch this in Blu-ray, it may be my favorite Code Red title!

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Dang, I bought on Oct 27th and still haven't received mine. :(

Although I bought Nightmare and Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker with it, so maybe that's the hold up?