My TOP 113 Horror Movies (1970-Present)

Discussion in 'General' started by Cooperkill, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Prepare to be butthurt lol. There are obscure sequels, guilty pleasures, and forgotten movies among the lot. However, none were added for any other purpose than honestly ranking among my very favorite horror movies.

http://splattercritic.com/lists/top-113/

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Seemed pretty legit until I got to Scary Movie and Salem's Lot 2004 (although the 70's version is pretty bad too).

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have to admit that's a bizarre order. Bubba Ho-Tep is number five out of 113 films? I am one of the few member's here that hated that film, but perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched it. For the most part, I agree with most of the films on your list, however the order would be significantly different. At least you have Dawn of the Dead in your top five (for me it's number 1). :) How did you come up with 113 instead of say...100, 125, 150, etc?

4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I love Scary Movie. I think it's a dead-on spoof of Scream and IKWYDLS that helped ruin those movies. A student of mine recently said the same thing. She can no longer look at Officer Dewey without thinking of Officer Doofy.

When I showed my closest friends this list, they had no idea a remake of Salem's Lot even existed. I love it for the mood and small town atmosphere. And Samantha Mathis is a plus.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

13? Evil number? That's all I can do to explain it lol.

I love Bubba Ho-tep. I even had a letter printed in Fangoria (where I used to intern, thankyouverymuch) about the meaning of the film after the death of Ossie Davis. It's not for everyone, but it gets to me.

6. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I forgot Samantha Mathis was in it. Actually, I forgot most everything about the movie. Except that it felt like one long movie trailer. But I guess it has Samantha Mathis going for it.

7. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I've never heard of a three-hour movie trailer, but okay lol. There's a lot going for this movie. Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, Rob Lowe (who's so low key he's good). It does a lot more than the padded (but decent) original film.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks for both lists, cooperkill. its definitely interesting to get a picture of the films that any given user really likes or dislikes, especially beyond the usual suspects and "top 5" business. with regards to the worst 113, I think people may have gotten a little overly hostile, but at the same time, what's the purpose of posting something like this if not to promote discussion and create a little bit of controversy? therein lies the fun. in any case, as was inevitable, I didn't agree with all of your "worst" list, or all of this "best" list. interesting to read, though.

I must say, I think you made a typo, though. surely those two unmentionable films "directed" by Ronny Yu were meant to go on the other list?

9. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

What is this tendency of seemingly discounting film history prior to 1970? I know that you state your reasoning in your opening comments on the list, but it seems like I see this trend more and more. I was born in 1977, so I'm old-balls, but I enjoy exploring film history; watching and re-watching films is one of my greatest pleasures.

I'm sorry if this is coming off as a personal attack on you, as I do not intend for that to be the case. It's just that I keep seeing lists beginning at 1970, as if film history prior to that decade had no meaning. I've read and had several people tell me that films that were released prior to 1970, prior to the year that they personally were born and OF COURSE, black and white films, are just too old. This is not even considering how many people have told me that films in which the dialog is not recorded in their native language are intolerable, because they actually have to read subtitles.

Research, read about and explore film history and the roots of the films that you do enjoy. See what films influenced the films of directors whose works you enjoy; see what performances influenced those of actors that you enjoy today. If you don't, you're only cheating yourself of some pretty incredible experiences.

You do have some really amazing films on your list. And I'll admit, it is fun to see something like Kingdom of the Spiders at number 58. Always nice to see some guilty pleasures in these lists for some variation. Nothing more boring than the lists that always "play by the rules" and lay out the list of the "usual suspects" over and over.

My personal biggest disagreement? That Death Proof is on your worst list. I loved it the first time that I saw it and I think that love grows with each viewing. However, I still enjoy your site and your reviews. Keep up the good work!

10. deepred

deepred Member

I preferred Scary Movie 2. I felt Scary Movie was pretty much Scream play by play which wasn't very creative imo. Let's just remake Scream and make all these stupid jokes and then throw in a little IKWYDL on the side. It's easy to see why your student no longer takes Scream seriously (as most of the movie is making fun of it scene for scene) and I can see why Wes Craven has said he was hurt by that movie.

Scary Movie 2 was at least parodying a wide range of movies which allowed it to be more creative and original in fitting all the elements together from different movies.

It's nice to see some love for Dolores Claiborne. One of my favorite movies.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Lord of the Rings is a horror film? Ya learn something new every day

12. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Sometimes when one of your least favorites is someone else's favorite, feelings are legitimately hurt. Therein lies the loyalty of horror fans (though some folks simply need to lighten up).

I'm always surpised by the lack of love for FvJ. Sure, the acting stinks, but I always have a great time watching it.

13. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I was torn between adding a handful of pre-1970 movies to the list and focusing on the movies I'm mostly familiar with. I know it seems lame to disregard nearly fifty years of horror movies for that purpose, but as time goes on I'll revise the list. Nothing's in stone, and I'm sure it'll seem weird that The Toxic Avenger Part II is on the list but the original Kong isn't.

To me, watching Death Proof is like watching dog piss soak into concrete while a bunch of girls talk, and talk, and talk in the background. Yes, I dislike it that much lol.

14. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

The New York Mets broadcasters brought up Dolores Claiborne during a game this year. An oposing player had the same last name, and Keith Hernandez commented on the movie and how great the acting is. I was stunned.

15. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

That was a close call, but in the end a giant spider, ghost skeletons, and the overall forces of evil were enough to lump it in the horror/fantasy category.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Blasphemy... the original is one of the best TV movies ever made.

Like Argento in his prime, this was from a time when Tobe Hooper was at the top of his game.

The original has something that many vampire movies lack... atmosphere and chilling pace.

17. deepred

deepred Member

Haha, that is very random! The acting is terrific by the entire cast. I can't believe Kathy Bates wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It sits right next to Scary Movie on the shelf, what's wrong with you?

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The lack of love is because Ronnie Yu destroyed not one but THREE beloved franchises with 2 films.

P.S. - I have no problem with the list. Just busting a little balls. But on another hand, there are already favorite/all time/top lists on this message board already. There are lists by decade/year/all time etc... (in fact Hellbilly is the master at these) And I don't think you contributed to any of them (I could be wrong) So why start a new thread?

20. deepred

deepred Member

Bride of Chucky (which was penned by the writer of all the Chucky movies) breathed new life into the Child's Play series. If you didn't enjoy the jokey tone, blame Don. I think Yu made the film very stylish. I've noticed a trend of people bagging on it now but a lot of people enjoyed Bride back in '98. Seed on the otherhand ...

And you can probably credit Samuel Bayer for destroying the Elm Street franchise. Friday is not destroyed as a new movie is the works. If anything, FvJ was a box-office hit and could have been a resurrection for both franchises but alas the studios didn't jump on that soon enough.