Must-own Blus

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Fistfuck, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

Third the Exorcist. Get the Digi-book if you can. Skip the single disc Walmart edition. The films look pristine and include all new features shot in HD as well as features complied from previous DVD editions as well as the Laserdisc. Simply put. Awesome.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The Alien Anthology, Dirty Harry collection and the Twilight Zone seasons should also be considered.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Bladerunner definitely. The Road Warrior is one I highly recommend. Even if the only special feature is a commentary. The transfer is just breathtaking. The first two Friday the 13th's look great. The third isn't as detailed, but I think that's just a result of the film they used. All of the Kubrick films out on blu (Including Criterion's new Paths of Glory set) are fucking awesome. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is another one that looked fantastic and full of vibrant color. There's also the soundtrack and all.

4. BRW

BRW New Member

John Carpenter's The Thing! IMO, great A/V and extras.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

My two favorites right here.

Blade Runner is the quintessential BD as far as I'm concerned...I haven't seen a single release that matches the sheer quality and quantity that went into making this bad boy.

Road Warrior's transfer is a HUGE upgrade to the DVD, but it is indeed lacking in the special features department....still a must own BD though.

6. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Added The Road Warrior and Blade Runner.

Going to flex some editorial muscle here and wait for a few more Exorcist votes. I was not that impressed by the transfer. It doesn't look that much better than an upconverted DVD and there was one shot in particular that just made me say "what the fuck?" That would be the shot of Karras lying in bed right before the dream of his mother. I have no idea what went on there in the transfer.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I second this for the A/V (even though I hear the HD-DVD looks better, less dnr) although the extras are lacking on the region A disc. I had to keep my old non-anamorphic dsc for the extras. Still, watch the old dvd then the BD and it's almost 2 different movies.

Also another vote for Road Warrior. Forgot how great that looked when I last posted, it's a jaw-dropper.

The first Pirates of the Caribbean flick might be the best A/V quality I've seen, period. I felt like I could walk into the film and join the action.

Friday the 13th Part 2 is also worthy of praise.

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'll add that any Kubrick film on Blu is worthwhile.

And agree that the Pirates of the Caribbean discs are great even if the films themselves go wildly up and down in quality. Even with the third one being the most overblown, some of the imagery in that film is so gorgeous I can overlook (or skip past) the indulgent parts.

And, I've said this else where, but the "Crank" films look stunning on Blu. But, as films they are a bit of an "acquired taste." But, those are the films that I go to to show just how crisp and detailed Blu can look when I am showing off my system.

Personally, just about any Criterion disc is going to be a great package. My personal favorite right now is Last Year at Marienbad. But, that's one of my favorite films period and may also be an acquired taste.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If you enjoy the TV series Lost, the blu-rays look incredible. Besides the Disney/Pixar stuff, probably the best I've seen.

The original Nightmare On Elm Street was definitely worth the upgrade. Having grown up with the Media VHS, I was blown away!

10. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Friday the 13th 2 gets another vote from me here. In non-horror, I was impressed with how good the Mel Gibson Patriot extended cut looks.

11. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
    If you've only seen this film on VHS or Pioneer's shitty 1998 and 2003 DVD releases or even Elite Entertainment's 1996 LaserDisc, you haven't seen this film until you've watched Dark Sky's 2008 BD or even their 2006 DVD. Never did I think this film could look so good. Don May did an outstanding job here.

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Since I had the original Pioneer DVD and the Dark Sky DVD (which is amazing), I haven't bothered with this upgrade.

I love the SEs on Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror and no doubt, the films have never looked so good, but I wouldn't put them in this category, since they aren't blow you away good looking discs! One I forgot that did blow me away was Flash Gordon. I LOVE that film and it is an AMAZING transfer. Same SEs as the DVD, but I never bought the 2nd DVD release, so they were new to me.

13. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Friday the 13th Part II added.

14. Shannafey

I feel like an idiot. One I overlooked was my favorite film of all time. The UK Blu-Ray of Highlander is all region and phenomenal. The movie has never looked so good and there are some great extras on the disc that I've never seen before. They are from a previous German release, but new to most people.

15. dolemite

dolemite New Member

Don't have that many Blurays but to me, My Bloody Valentine was the one that stood out. Having watched it many many times over the years, was blown away how good it looked.

16. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Really? That's my favorite part of the Blu-ray. I didn't find it distracting at all but it does add a great sense of scope to the action scenes.

17. Shannafey

Totally agree! They didn't this with the Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Blu as well, but it doesn't compare to Dark Knight and it actually is kind of distracting on that Blu!

18. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The problem with Transformer's IMAX scenes is the way they were shot. Instead of shooting whole scenes in IMAX, Bay only shot one full scene (the death of Optimus Prime) in IMAX (which was awesome) and the rest of the IMAX footage was spliced into scenes involving non-IMAX footage. It's really jarring and kills the effect.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just watched the Vampire Circus blu-ray. It's essential for those who appreciate the Hammer films. I can't wait for Synapse's other Hammer blus.

20. Shannafey

Yeah, you're totally correct!