Murder Set-Pieces (2004)

Discussion in 'General' started by John Gargo, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Werewolf Vixen

Werewolf Vixen New Member

Sorry to bump this thread, since I know how much turmoil this film and the director has caused online years ago.

But I was curious about a release of the film I saw at Half Price Books today for $10. It was the 'directors cut', however in different packaging than what I've seen of the original release of that version.

It was a fold out digipack case(I think that's what they're called), and featured a very long rant by the director that covered three flaps of the inside pages. He really comes off just as arrogant and alienating as he was when trying to sell how great he is as a filmmaker and how great his film is online years ago. It was kind of amusing reading his rant/defense of himself and the film, but he instead came off as exactly like people picture him. A douche.

This edition also references the butchered Lionsgate release, so it must have been released around that time. It lists MSP.com and other websites on the case that Nick is involved with, but none of the sites exist today when I checked.

The packaging also has a swastika as the main image on the side of the case, and features it much larger as an image on the 'rant' pages. So he's trying to prove how 'hardcore' his film is and 'shocking'; and that he's not an anti-semite or anything, he just has a fascination with evil people, but naturally he's not winning anyone over with his attitude.

Anyway, I've tried to look this edition up online and can't find it anywhere. So I was curious if anyone knows anything about this edition of the film?

I've only seen the completely chopped to pieces R rated version, and while the film was not good in that form, and I doubt it'll be 'better' in uncensored form. I am curious to see what that version is like, and also to hear how Palumbo comes off in the commentary and interviews on the release. But the chances are great this version will be gone by the time I go back to Half Price Books. Though I'm in no hurry to get it just yet, but if it was on clearance for $3, I'd take a chance on it. But $10 is too much for this crap.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Is it the original Fright Flix Productions DVD? Basically it was the self-released/small distributor release, which contains the 90-minute director's cut. That's the only other release I know about (the original release) that came out in October 2005. I bought it when it first came out, but sold it after watching it because the movie sucked, but I don't remember it being a digi-pack or folding out... it was just a standard DVD case and cover.

3. Werewolf Vixen

It's not the original release, at least in the packaging. But the content in terms of features and all appears to be the same. I think it had a 2007 copyright on it somewhere, but it was tough to locate any year for this particular release besides referencing the Lionssgate release.

Also on the cover has the quote "Banned In the U.K." and different artwork than the original release which features the bloodied handcuffed hand image. it said "widescreen" on the lower half of the cover and 'uncut' after the films title. I've never been aware of another release of the directors cut in such packaging, so it was a surprise for me. Also it does list Frightflix.com and everything Nick is involved with on the back, so it's obviously a self distributed release.

This may be the release Nick started selling online when the LG release came out. Of course I assumed it was just the original release printed some more until LG put a halt to it for legal reasons since LG has the rights to the film now and not Nick. Of course he also claimed to be talking to LG about an uncut release sometime, but that obviously never happened, though would be nice if it did, quality of the film not-withstanding.

4. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I thought this movie wasn't half bad but I'm into sick and demented movies. The director's cut is definetly the way to go. I was lucky enough to snag one off of the now defunct xploitedcinema which is signed and limited to 150 copies:evil:
    There is still interest in the film because I've seen go for more than $100 on Ebay, not bad for a so-called shitty movie.

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

It is definitely not the FF release, I haven't even heard of a digi for this, I do think he sold it though. Don't hold out for a blu, though, he mentioned that the original materials and 35's were scrapped due to bs

6. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I did the same.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have the director's cut which I see Amazon has for $44.99. I only watched it once but liked it enough to keep the DVD.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just watched the trailer for this and it doesn't look too bad. I think I'm going to check it out.

9. Werewolf Vixen

Here is what the cover looked like.

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/murdersetpieces_2.jpg

Speaker of the trailer. Back when there used to be a Myspace page for the film. Their was a graphic trailer on it that automatically played when you opened the page. Also the music listing the director had available to stream automatically when you entered the page had Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan playing. At first I thought that song was really playing over the trailer until I realized it was another media that was open. But I must say, the song worked amazingly well with that particular trailer. Unfortunately I can't find that trailer any longer and the 'uncut red band' one on Youtube certainly is not the one I remember.