Mr. sandman and Halloween II!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I always wondered why they chose that song as some kinda theme for laurie, However I wonder if it had to do with the fact that in April of 1981 when the movie began filming that Mr sandman remake entered the top 40. Or could that just be one major coincidence.

2. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

lol Fuck. I can't believe you've dodged the bullet for this long.

3. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Never understood this song blasting during the end credits. Almost as retarded as the end credits for The Mutilator. Same with House 2 goofy song absolutely terrible.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I love it, and play it every year on my Halloween mix. For some reason i think it really works, although I can't explain why.

5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I find it odd that people think Mr. Sandman is out of place. It fits perfectly.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I don't think it makes sense, necessarily, but somehow I do think it works.

7. Doombear

Doombear Member

Hollywood likes associating nostalgic ditties with horror. Stephen King does that a lot. Very 1950's. It's almost as lame as that Jeepers Creepers song. It may of worked better for Nightmare on Elm Street end credits. Don't Fear the Reaper fit more with the 70's setting.

I don't know why Laurie would be listening to it. I used to imagine an 80's music video of Laurie singing the song with Annie and Linda and Michael doing the "Yes" vocal holding a microphone up to his mask. Not scary.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

50s music made a comeback in the 70s, just as every decade's music makes a comeback 20 years later. It's perfectly understandable and realistic why somebody (particularly somebody as nerdy as Laurie) would be listening to Mr. Sandman in 1978.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Exactly. It doesn't have to make sense - it works, and works incredibly well. What more reason does anyone need?

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is just my opinion. I've always believed that the song was chosen partially for its subtext. Laurie is obviously a repressed person who doesn't act on her sexual desires. She's infatuated with Ben Tramer. But she keeps it to herself--and is so self-conscious and insecure about her crush that she's terrified when Annie takes steps to get them together.

The song is about a girl wishing for her dream lover to materialize--very similar thematically to the song Laurie sang in front of the Myers house when she dropped off the key. And that's precisely the moment she captured the eye of a certain someone. Obviously he's not exactly the one she wished for. So Laurie ends up with the inverse of what she wanted--the realization of a nightmare instead of her romantic dream.

I'd also say that there's a connection between the Sandman, who's always associated with dreams, and the Boogeyman. And Mr. Sandman is a creepy-sounding song. So I think it works on numerous levels.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, Michael Myers is no longer "the shape" thanks to his familial connection with Laurie created for the sequel. So any abstract connection between the song's lyrics and something in the form of a man created from immaterial particles now makes absolutely no sense.

But I never once thought it was a reference to Laurie. Why would it be?