Movies that shouldn't be on IMDB Bottom 100

Discussion in 'General' started by horrorscreamer, Mar 27, 2015.

1. horrorscreamer

horrorscreamer Member

I just checked out the IMDb Bottom 100 after someone said Troll 2 was no longer on it and to my surprise I found a couple of decent movies on the list. Which ones do you think are undeservedly on the list?

My ones are:

Demon Island (Pinata: Survival Island)
    I love this movie actually, I think it's everything a fun B-slasher should be.

7 Mummies
    By no means a good movie, and not really a mummy movie but more of a mummy movie - heck more of a movie - than for example Mummy Maniac, and certainly not awful enough to warrant being on the IMDb bottom 100.

Alone In The Dark
    Again, certainly not a good movie but quite entertaining - if only due to the production values alone. It's not a chore to sit through like some horror movies.

Nine Lives
    Meh, it's okay, Long Time Dead on a lower budget, certainly not horrible.

House of the Dead
    Say what you want about House of the Dead but boring it is not, and when a movie manages to entertain, doesn't it really fulfill its main purpose?

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Motherfuckers just put Uwe Boll flicks in there on rep alone. While his stuff will never be confused with Oscar caliber cinema, no fucking way do they belong on any "worst" list. The fact that my 2 all time worst aren't there gives it no credibility. Where's Vicious (starring Tom Savini) and The Item? They should be 2 and 1 respectfully, and never viewed by anyone!

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I will say tho that I wanted to punch Uwe Boll in the fucking face after I watched Auschwitz. What a motherfucker.

~Matt

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

IMDB Bottom 100 is not to be taken seriously. They used to have Problem Child 2 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation on there. I think Bloody Murder also spent a lengthy stint on the list, which I'm not going to argue is a good movie, but it's a totally harmless Friday The 13th rip-off.

Looking at the current list, I haven't bothered with a lot of these. I agree that Pinata: Survival Island doesn't belong on there, it's a lot of fun. I think most people just saw the title, thought "a killer pinata?", and immediately voted 1.

I'm a fan of Hobgoblins, that definitely doesn't belong on there. It's certainly not any worse than any of the other late 80s Roger Corman / Fred Olen Ray / David DeCoteau cheesefests. Rick Sloane is underrated, I'm also a big fan of Movie House Massacre.

I also agree that House Of The Dead doesn't belong on there. I thought it was extremely fun. I'll probably watch it again soon, since it's been a while. If that movie had just gone straight-to-video, nobody would have made a big fuss about it. It's only because it got a nationwide theatrical release, which to be fair it probably shouldn't have. But it's the kind of movie where if you randomly stumbled across it on cable, you'd probably have a lot of fun with it.

It just all comes down to visibility and awareness. If IMDB were to do a true Bottom 100, it would be filled with unwatchable found-footage dreck that somehow found distribution, shot for $10 in somebody's backyard, with titles like Paranormal Asylum Experiment and the like. Most of these movies are forgotten as soon as they're released, and rightfully so. But for somebody to log onto IMDB and rate a movie a 1, well, it must have left some sort of impact.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Below is what I have seen. I'm surprised I haven't seen more. If I made a bottom 10 BATTLEFIELD EARTH and LASERBLAST would be on it. OASIS is terrible and deserves to be on this list but I've seen worse Jess Franco. I'm surprised by BODY IN THE WEB (Horrors of Spider Island). I enjoy it and there are countless 50's/60's monster flicks that are far "worse" in whatever category you want to measure.

96. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)
    89. The Oasis of the Living Dead (1982)
    88. Battlefield Earth (2000)
    86. Laserblast (1978)
    75. Body in the Web (1960)
    66. Alone in the Dark (2005)
    32. The Creeping Terror (1964)

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Offshore voting is throwing off all of the Bottom 100 films, not that it was ever truly legitimate.

Manos 2015 #14: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060666/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt
    Manos 2012 #5: https://web.archive.org/web/20111028055200/http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060666/ratings

In 3 years:

• An additional 8,000 people have voted on this film.
    • An additional 5,000 votes came from non-US users.
    • 4,000 votes were cast for '10,' 3,000 were cast for '1'
    • US voters held steady at '1.4'
    • Non-US users are up from a '1.6' to a '2.4'
    • The overall weighted average went up from '1.5' to '1.9'

Monster a-Go-Go 2015 #84: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059464/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt
    Monster a-Go-Go 2012 #4: https://web.archive.org/web/20100821021534/http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059464/ratings

In 3 years:

• An additional 3,000 people have voted on this film.
    • Roughly 2,000 additional votes came from non-US users.
    • Roughly 2,000 votes were cast for '10,' around 900 were cast for '1'
    • US voters held steady at '1.4'
    • Non-US users are up from a '1.5' to a '3.1'
    • The overall weighted average went up from '1.5' to '2.4'

Birdemic 2015 #3: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt
    Birdemic 2012 #47: https://web.archive.org/web/20121122101300/http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/ratings

In 3 years:

• An additional 7,000 people have voted on this film.
    • Roughly 4,600 additional votes came from non-US users.
    • Roughly 900 votes were cast for '10,' around 4,800 were cast for '1'
    • US voters held were down slightly from '2.0' to '1.8'
    • Non-US users held steady at '1.8'
    • The overall weighted average went down slightly from '1.9' to '1.8'

7. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Kinda shitty that so many people vote 10 for these films just to raise the average. Anyone who thinks any of these films are a "10" need to re-evaluate their rating scale.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Also a full 25% of those movies (possibly more) are only even known of due to Mystery Science Theater 3000. Don't get me wrong, I friggin' LOVE MST3K, but I just get the vibe that a lot of people need it pointed out to them that a movie is bad.

9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

MST3000 or not, "Monster-A-Go-Go" deserves to be on any worst ever list.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This speaks also to what's wrong with Hollywood movies today. They are being targeted now to a world wide audience which is increasingly making up a larger and larger slice of the pie. In order to reach more and more of a broad audience you need to appeal to a lower and lower common denominator. They need to be so basic that even someone who doesn't speak the native language and doesn't understand the native culture is still entertained by it.

We are increasingly seeing movies that do mediocre in the US but success in the rest of the world get sequel after sequel. And copying of that formula throughout all films in general. Giving us much more of the same across the board. With each generation getting more and more generic to appeal to an even larger base.

11. rift

rift New Member

what the heck is wrong with Laserblast? That's some classic Full Moon goodness from their glory days right there.