Movies that everyone else likes, but you cant stand?

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Feb 20, 2013.

1. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (fucking hate hipsters!)
    Natural Born Killers
    Gummo
    Anything Micheal Bay
    Anything Oliver Stone (especially the one above a bit :p)
    Citizen Kane (seriously, utterly dull, very very dull)

2. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

The foreign trio of Shaun of the Dead, The Descent and Inside. Pure shit, every one of them. Can't forget Poltergeist either. Most recently, Cabin in the Woods left me thoroughly unimpressed.

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I worked at a video store on and off during the '90s and would have to say that the majority of movies that the general public loves are just mediocre, manufactured, paint-by-numbers fluff.

Totally agree with many of the movies already mentioned here but it's generally the comedies that people love that just don't work for me. Napoleon Dynamite, The Hangover, anything with Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey. I loved Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love and of course any of his fans I tell this to all say the same thing: "That's his WORST movie!"

But the biggest one of all for me is probably Casablanca. I don't hate it. I just don't get all the love it seems to get.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Gladiator - it's not so much that I dislike it, but I find it very long.

The Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, etc. - I simply don't find found footage shaky cam movies engaging at all.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, seriously. why do people like this movie?

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Have to go with the entire Twilight movies.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The PHANTASM films. These films are worse than shit.
    THEY LIVE
    EVIL DEAD
    CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD
    BULLITT
    Conquest (1983)
    Keoma (1976)
    The Long Goodbye (1973)
    House On Sorority Row (1983)
    Madman (1982)
    Maniac Cop films
    Busting (1974)

You poor, poor, soul. ;)

9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

There are quite a few for me:
    -Saw (and it's sequels though I quit after 3)
    -Rob Zombie Movies (I have not seen his Halloween films, but hated his first two enough to never want to)
    -The Princess Bride
    -The Big Lebowski
    -The Host
    -Tale of Two Sisters

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, Keoma. Not worse than shit (!), but definitely overrated. Not even Castellari's best western. The Long Goodbye is worth watching for Gould's improvised arrest scene, but surely has some detractions, like a certain rather poor actor being cast. They Live on your list! Sacrilege!

Some movies I hate that are held highly in the eyes of others;

Cocoon
    Lady for a Day
    Star Trek Generations (actually, a lot of people probably don't like this, but I hate it.)

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Twillight saga, the new entries in Star Wars, Star Trek, Paranormal Activity series, pretty much every action hero film except the Amazing Spider-Man and the Bale Batman series. Also many James Bond films like You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever which are average, but do not hold a candle to other ones like Dr.No, Goldfinger etc...

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow. really? that's one of my favorite movies.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. Kim Bruun

Wow! Do you even like horror movies? Granted, I don't love every one of these, but they all have devoted fans and are more or less iconic horror movies.

Phantasm I consider pretty artistic even if I never personally could get into it. It's actually a rather philosphical movie about how we deal with death.

They Live - too long since I've seen it to comment, but I always thought it was universally loved among fans of 80's horror.

Evil Dead I always found overreached itself once the demons start possessing everything, but it is an important film, and justifiably popular.

City of the Living Dead is a gorefest on par with Fulci's other zombie movies. Vomitting guts and rain of maggots not your thing?

Maniac Cop is a character-driven, clever expansion of the slasher formula.

Madman is a cinematographically elegant, atmospheric camp (in every sense) slasher, admittedly with some sketchy acting.

House on Sorority Row is a by-the-book, above-average-but-not-top-five 80's slaher with a good final chase. I can see not loving it, but I don't see hating it unless you hate the subgenre.

I guess my point is that if you dislike all of these intensely, what horror movies do you actually like? :p

14. Cropsy

Cropsy New Member

Ditto, for me. I actually hate all the Batman movies.

15. Kim Bruun

I'd say those are loved primarily by one demographic. More mature or critical audiences tend to reject the series for its poorly drawn characters. Love or hate the Harry Potter movies, you have to at least grant that they are well-written, with a positive message about friendship and social responsibility. The Twilight saga is about a girl who is totally obsessed with a guy to the extent that she becomes withdrawn and wastes away in his absense - even attempting suicide, which causes him to have a change of heart and come back to her! Not a healthy message if you ask me, but probably compelling if you're a teenaged girl suffering from unrequited love.

16. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Wow, really dude? You're actually going to list some of the films you did then call me a 'poor soul' because I don't find Pegg/Frost films funny?

Fuck it's no wonder people argue on here with you all the time.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I only wish that was true. Teenage (and pre-teen) girls can like stupid shit. It's their job.

What scares the hell out of me are the middle aged women who love Twilight so damn much. Last year at Comic-Con International, one of these weirdos was actually killed while waiting in line TWO DAYS prior to the Twilight panel. She'd traveled cross country for it, no less.

We all did stupid shit as teenagers. But if I tried doing my old punk look at my age (imagine someone with male pattern baldness trying to sport a mohawk), I'd be rightfully ridiculed...

18. Kim Bruun

Well then, Paff, let's call that demographic "romantically unrealistic female neurotics, aged 12 - 45". :p

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ah, but my point is that from about 18-35, these women actually have lives and do normal shit like having sex. Then at about 35, they regress. Scary shit, I tells ya.

As for popular movies that don't sit with me, I echo all the comments about superhero movies based on comics. I could totally live without those. I haven't seen Avengers because 1. I'm not interested and 2. I don't know shit about any of the superheroes in it. If I do ever see it, it's only because I'm a Joss Whedon fan, and that's the extent of it.

I did like the first Spiderman movie, but Spiderman was always the exception to the rule about my disinterest in superheroes. But even then, the second movie was dull to me, haven't seen the third or this latest "reboot". I also hated Batman Begins, but enjoyed Dark Knight (it's Heath Ledger that makes it interesting), and really liked Dark Knight Rises. That really surprised me. I was bored at the beginning, but I felt it got really good at the finale.

20. Kim Bruun

I am not saying that you're wrong, but I know at least one woman in that age group who is an avid fan of the series (to the extent that she felt personally offended that Kristen Stewart had cheated on Robert Pattinson).