Monster Squad and Night of the Demons 2 blu-rays from Olive films

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Stige

Stige Active Member

I'll stick with DDD got both ticks and night of the Demons 2 fast and slightly ahead

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If you pre-ordered it more than 21 days in advance, your order may have been cancelled.

3. CPT HOOK

FINALLY! My Night Of The Demons 2 blu-ray just shipped.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I know, but I just pre-ordered this last week.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched the Night of the Demons 2 BD this past weekend. Definitely not my favorite BTS flick. The whole movie felt like some weird 90’s parody of the first film. It also felt more like a comedy than it did a horror film. The first Night of the Demons was funny, yes, but it also knew when to hit the scare button... The sequel was also void of any of the atmosphere the original created. Hull House felt like a cheap set piece and I couldn’t stand Mouse or the whole idea of her being related to Angela.

The effects were cool I guess, nothing extraordinary. I guess it was entertaining…some nice boobage too.

I don’t get Brian Trenchard-Smith’s filmography at all…I mean, his early films are filled with pure gold (Escape 2000, Stunt Rock, Firebase Glroria, Dead End Drive In, BMX Bandits, Death Cheaters, Strike of the Panther, Man from Hong Kong, The Quest) ….then the 90’s came around and he’s done nothing but dreck since.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I will always like the first Night of the Demons the most - but I love Night of the Demons 2 almost as much- it isn't until Night of the Demons 3 I feel disappointed (but I'll still watch it). I haven't had a chance to watch the blu-ray yet to comment on the video quality - I just wish someone would release the first one on blu-ray!

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I didn't like NOTD 2 when it first hit video but it really grew on when I picked up the Lionsgate disc awhile back.

The only thing that confuses me is that a film full of fantastic practical FX work ends on a really shitty CGI shot.

Can't wait to get Olive's edition in the mail.

8. CPT HOOK

Still waiting on my blu-ray to get here. It's taking FOREVER!

Night Of The Demons is my favorite horror film of all time, and the sequel is neck and neck. I could probably recite them, I've seen them so many times.

The same location was used for Hull House in both the first and second film.

9. Chomp

Cool, but doesn’t change my opinion. The Hull House in the original was a character unto itself. It emitted a brooding presence. In Night of the Demons 2, it feels like it was filmed on some studio stage backlot.

Perhaps it was the way it was shot, and the set designing was just poor?….accompanied with the group being there for what 20min? I don’t know,…the whole movie was lacking atmosphere. If nobody had mentioned a “Halloween Dance” in the movie, you could have told me it was set in April and I would have believed you.

I think the Night of the Demons remake grasped the essence of what the original portrayed better than the sequel.

+1 for Morbid Angel though.

10. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I like NOTD 2, but I agree with what your saying about the difference in atmosphere of Hull House between NOTD 1 and 2. I also think the story isn't served by bringing the demons out of Hull House.

But Zoe Trilling is in it and I love those tig bitties.

11. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

If its the same importcds on ebay... then they suck!! I ordered that Subspecies 5 Disc DVD set in December... I received a Blink 182 cd instead.... got my dough back, but how do you fuck that up?

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting on my order from Importcds. Hoping it'll arrive this week though I'm not holding my breath.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Wow. Hopefully some Blink 182 fan was like "what the fuck are these dvds?":lol:

14. Chomp

Haha…hell yea, they were nice! Don’t get me wrong, Night of the Demons 2 was at least entertaining…I mean, of course there is worse. But I guess I was just expecting a little more coming from a BTS directed horror flick.

15. CPT HOOK

Mine finally arrived today!!!! :banana:

I actually felt the opposite about the location in the remake. It's definitely colorful, but the beautiful renovated mansion they used wasn't the least bit creepy. And it wasn't Hull House, one of the major things that was sorely lacking from the remake.

Part 3 also used a different house, but it was still Hull House, and they do a decent job of creating that atmosphere. It's a pretty weak movie, but it has grown on me over the years.

I think the first two films flow extremely well together. But the humor in part 2 is undoubtedly much more overt than the first film.

16. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Just curious about the NOTD series... are the rights tied up with different companies? That seems like a great film series for a company to pick and make a box set.

17. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

The first one is actually with the original company that produced it, and the third is with Olive. There's a rumor flying around that part 3 is due out later this year.

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It's a shame the the sequels weren't paired together. #3 is dreadful but could use a decent release. Not sure it stands well on its own.

19. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Well I suppose at this point, it's all gravy from here since 2 is out and 3 is coming. I'm sure fans will pick it up regardless - now the first one just needs a release and we're golden.

20. CPT HOOK

Olive has been releasing John Wayne films from the 1930s by themselves on blu-ray, a few of which clock in at under an hour.

So I don't think they're interested in double features.

I hope the Night Of The Demons 3 rumor is true.