Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Of course, I forgot about the sale and ran some afternoon errands before remembering. But I remembered! And got all three; tax free!
    With Jared saying the other two are looking to sell out soon too!

Kinda surprised Blood Ceremony sold out so quickly. Manchester Morgue bump from earlier Blu-ray release creating a buzz perhaps? I also think it helps overall to advertise in advanced what and when you're selling something. There may be plenty of Naschy/Panic Beats fans who never even hear of this sale who otherwise would have had they been given a few more weeks at least.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18247036&postcount=13046
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18247413&postcount=13065

Looks like they'll sell out Friday. We'll see if they decide to do more. I don't know if Panic Beats is just a matter of Jared talking to Peter or if that's something else limiting its production.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I debated whether to do that too, but just said screw it and got it over with... I'll consider the tax spent to be a faster shipping upgrade. The numbers should be low too, I would guess under #25 for all 3 LE titles.

I'm really not surprised these 3 have sold so well though. But I was a little surprised that Panic Beats wasn't the first to sell out though.

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I wasn't wowed by any of the new titles but decided to pick of Queens of Evil since I have never seen or heard of it, unlike the other 2 which I have on DVD and wasn't crazy about. Also grabbed a few other titles since they were cheap, only one repeat for me in the 4 I ordered so I'm really looking forward to my order even though it isn't coming anytime soon because of the pre-order. Maybe some Halloween they can have the Halloween titles available to ship and the sale earlier so we can get our orders before Halloween...

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Coming next year to Blu-ray! Two rare films by Spanish horror visionary Paul Naschy!

HOWL OF THE DEVIL is one of Naschy's last great films and also one of his craziest. He plays an insane failed actor who dresses up as various famous villains from films and history while he kidnaps and abuses unsuspecting ladies. HOWL is one of Naschy's most autobiographical films as well as one of his most bitter and cynical.
    This will be the film's first official release anywhere in the world. Expect a 4K restoration from the recently discovered negative.

THE FRENCHMAN'S GARDEN is also criminally underseen and absolutely one of the great man's finest films. It's a sort of period set "true crime" film shot through with a healthy dose of the macabre. Troy Howarth, author of the book HUMAN BEASTS: THE FILMS OF PAUL NASCHY, says that it's "arguably Naschy's most impressive film up until this time" and we would have to agree.

This will be the first official release of the film in the US, from a recent, gorgeous 4K restoration.

We don't have firm dates for either release but expect both of them sometime in the first half of 2021 if all goes well.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I watched a bootleg VHS of Howl of the Devil a couple of years ago for October and it's pretty fun. I just want to say that his "kidnapping and killing women" portion of the film is more like a subplot and "kidnap" is a bit of an over statement. Somehow, someway, they all almost entirely go him voluntarily (naturally, he's Paul Naschy). And as the poster says it's got Caroline Munro and Howard Vernon who are always welcome.

Looking forward to seeing Frenchman's Garden. Hadn't heard of it but it sounds intriguing. I'll be getting red case editions of both.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

SURPRISE BLU-RAY ANNOUNCEMENT!
    Sometime in early 2021 we will be releasing Jorge Grau's notorious early 80s exploitation/thriller HUNTING GROUND aka COTO DE CAZA!
    From Spanish film guru Ismael Fernández's liner notes featured in the soon-forthcoming LE of BLOOD CEREMONY, also directed by Grau:
    "The story tells of a female lawyer who finds her liberal convictions wavering when she comes under repeated threats from the vicious hoodlum who she defended in court in the past. The story that follows is a combination of DEATH WISH and STRAW DOGS that, in its gruesome final segment, ventures into the territory of films such as LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT."
    We'll reveal more about this release once it gets closer to publication. For now here's the brand new cover art by Justin Coffee!
    We also plan on revealing more of our early 2021 slate over the next couple of weeks. So hang tight! 2020 is almost over!

[​IMG]

russweiss likes this.
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    It's been a little while since I cracked open my DVD but, while it has all the hallmarks of any old exploitation, it's truly a top tier film and another must buy from Mondo Macabro.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My only real memories of this film is the tremendous amount of nudity.

10. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Ive seen Hunting Ground before and it is another example of Grau using genre tropes to explore bigger issues sociologically. Closer in tone to The Accused than I Spit on Your Grave, the film draws you in with its superior quality so that when grindhouse level explicitness comes in, it hits you like a hammer with its unexpectedness. Really superior drama. I caught an English language dub that I was unsure was dubbing, as even that voice cast was as committed as the onscreen actors, and it seems they knew they had something really engaging them here, and went above and beyond in a chance to showcase their own acting. Characters react plausibly, subplots are riveting, and Grau turns in a Freidkinesque film using a microcosmic story to explore multifaceted looks at larger social predicaments while leaving the audience to pick their own assesments of what is unfolding before them onscreen.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

MM announce The Laughing Woman ( Femina ridens ) (1969) on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd/photos/a.253941924698869/4652043391555345/

I think I've heard of this but never got the impression that it was top tier (as comments suggest). While I'll keep my expectations still in check I'm definitely going to be pre-ordering the red case edition of this one.

It's funny to me now that MM has come to use the term "giallo-adjacent" when over the past year I've learned that in Italy giallo is used much more broadly for crime thrillers while Americans have come to think of them as serial killers in the Argento mold. So I would be less critically of them calling something like The Laughing Woman giallo now.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    MorallySound, f.ramses and russweiss like this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Facebook Update:
    https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd/photos/a.253941924698869/4721218324637851

russweiss likes this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Looks like the next releases have been announced:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely looking forward to checking out both and am also hoping that Mondo Macabro has improved their ability to estimate release dates...

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’m always curious to check out a Paul Naschy film although Howl of the Devil is considerably past his prime years.

19. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Has anyone ever had to try and track down a replacement red case for for one of their Mondo Macabro limited editions? My copy of Blood Ceremony arrived with a broken spindle so the disc floats around the case/pops out when opened if I'm not super careful. A quick search resulted in a lot of those PS3 greatest hits red cases. The MM cases are a bit more thick since they make room for all of the art cards on the left side. Anyone have luck contacting MM directly?

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Just contact MM, they'll send you a replacement if it arrived damaged. I doubt it will be easy to locate a replacement red case otherwise.

m@ggot likes this.