Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacab...4700226/613632555396469/?type=1&stream_ref=10

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacab...comment_id=2203742&offset=0&total_comments=18

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13702

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

It's great that they're getting into blu ray, but the fact that it's a new film means its kind of an empty gesture. If they release something like Silip - Daughters of Eve or Alucarda, then I'll be impressed.

3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Granted it's only a DVD and there is no BD, you can buy this movie for next to nothing on Amazon UK right now...

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Doesn't seem to be much middle ground in those reviews; either they love it or they absolutely hated it.

I cherish the Mondo Macabro I have, so I'm guessing I'll be in the "love it" column. I'll give it a blind buy.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Press releases:
    http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2014/05/mondo-macabro-goes-blu.html

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm glad to see that their first BD will be more in line with the majority of the movies they put out on DVD, instead of a newer movie. The Slave is a sure buy for me. The Devil's Business, not so much. Picked up that UK DVD and really wanted to like it, but it sucked. :/

7. zbinks

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15053

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9770517&postcount=53

8. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2014/12/mondo-2015.html

They've confirmed the Greek titles will be DVD only.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Stoked for all their new releases and Blu-ray upgrades! Hopefully they re-issue their Franco titles on Blu as well.

Watched The Slave last month, and it's one of my favourite first-time views of the year.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Not really odd at all. Blu-ray production is still exponentially more expensive to produce than DVD, and when it comes to niche/seldom seen titles it's not exactly wise business to splurge on Blu-ray production costs. And of course, also comes down to condition of materials, which could be a factor for these titles.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I'm much more likely to make a blind buy if it's a Blu-ray, especially if it's an obscure cult title. I've skipped tons of titles because they were DVDs. My reasoning is maybe there's going to be a Blu-ray down the road and I really hate buying the same movie twice. But overall I just dislike the low quality PQ that DVD is limited to. Yes, I still have lots of DVDs but they're TV shows and movies that will never be reissued.

14. Angelman

El Dom said what I was going to say. cult titles are ostensibly for collectors to purchase. Blu ray is now the collector's format. The condition of materials shouldn't matter as defects will show up in either format in a new scan. If all that exists is a standard def scan and there are no elements? maybe. but if you are putting out titles and not doing blu ray, especially on titles that many have not seen? You are probably losing sales.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

For some of these obscure titles, such as the Turkish ones, there were no film elements left in existence. They used old tapes from the 80's. Don't know if that's the same way with these Greek titles, but they're regional neighbors so...

The obscure market is rather finicky. Some have no interest in Blu-ray at all, others are happy enough with their VHS copy unless Blu-ray comes along.

My preference is always Blu-ray when possible, but accessibility of the only available materials is always preferred over nothing at all.

16. Angelman

For sure. But if you have the elements to make a quality Blu, any you are asking for your demographic to probably blind-buy it? I'd think you'd go blu.

I just won't buy DVD anymore, at all, unless a) I love the movie and b) I can be reasonably assured no blu is coming along soon after.

Even if there is an upgrade to an existing VHS or streaming title only on DVD? No sale.

17. Mondo Macabro

Mondo Macabro New Member

Hi guys!

My name's Jared and I work for Mondo Macabro. I thought I'd chime in on some of the issues put forward on this board re:eek:ur recent announcements.

About the Greek movies.

Yes, DVD only.

I agree that is a shame. I'm a huge fan of the format myself and always hope that any weird old film of interest gets to shine in HD. But the economics involved just don't add up. Blu ray is vastly more expensive than DVD, as much as 4 to 5 times more expensive. And the sales just aren't there to back up releasing everything as a BD. Trust me, you guys would be shocked at actually how little money is being made, even from the titles which seem to be selling well.

And there are still quite a few DVD only releases coming out these days for your more obscure stuff. For example Vinegar Syndrome releases tons of stuff as DVD only, even when they have a 2K scan! A scan they did themselves, on their own equipment! That's just one example, there are a handful of others.

The hard numbers of doing these Greek movies prohibits a BD release. But we feel the most important thing are the movies themselves, and that if doing DVD only is the best way to get these movie out into the world again, then so be it.

That said, I am hoping to talk Pete into doing ZIRNEKLIS as a BD. Possibly only 1000 sold directly from the MM website. Stay tuned for news on that one.

18. Mondo Macabro

Mondo Macabro New Member

Also, we are doing the German thriller THE FAN on BD this year. And we are releasing it in two versions.

In February we'll put out a BD-only version in a red case, limited to only 500 copies, numbered, and sold exclusively through the MM website, $25.

The following month will see a widely distributed BD/DVD combo, which will itself be limited to either 1500 or 2000 copies, SRP $29.99.

The content of the two editions will be exactly the same, the only difference being the packaging.

If you are interested in this release and want to see more MM blu rays, I urge you to buy the direct-sale limited version. We will be doing this for all our BD releases, trying to offset the huge costs involved. Thanks! The pre-order for the LE will be Jan. 26th.

Oh, and yes, we will ship international.

19. zbinks

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=10272996&postcount=4

BD-only, numbered, 500 copy editions that comes on a Red PS3 case Preorder

Standard BD/DVD Combo pack Preorder

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^ Eh, I'll stick with my Amazon pre-order... it's down to just $17.99 now.

I really don't care to pay $11+ more (with shipping) just for a red case if the content is the same, and even lacks the DVD. I can wait an extra few weeks to get it.