Mausoleum

Discussion in 'General' started by legz, May 4, 2005.

1. legz

legz Member

Has anyone seen the 80's movie Mausoleum? If so is it any good? Here is a brief description:

MAUSOLEUM (1983)

Directed by Michael Dugan

Starring

Bobbie Bresee, Marjoe Gortner, Norman Burton, Julie Christy Murray, Laura Hippe, Maurice Sherbanee, Gene Edwards, LaWanda Page, and Sheri Mann

A young housewife is the eldest daughter in a bloodline afflicted with an ancient curse. Possessed by powers she cannot control, her life becomes a nightmare of lust, terror and murder as she takes a series of lovers and kills them in a variety of gory ways. Her husband finds himself confronting the face of hell, but unfortunately for him his wife’s only salvation lies within…..the mausoleum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

If I remember correctly, she turns into a demon with each tit being a seperate demon head. Classic 80's horror. A must buy for me.

3. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

It has peaked my interest.

4. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

where is this avail. to buy?

5. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

One other item that might get some of you more interested. I saw this in Hawaii with a friend who was a medic in the Army, he walked out because it was to gory for him.

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Here's a review that pretty much sums up my feelings about Mausoleum: http://www.stomptokyo.com/otf/Mausoleum/Mausoleum.htm

It's trash but, like the reviewer alludes to, nostalgia sometimes takes the stink off of movies like this, to be sure.

Definitely a guilty pleasure, like The Beast Within, a similar early 80's possession flick.

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Seeing this when it first came out (on a double bill with Night of the Zombies) was one of the best drive-in going experiences of my childhood! LaWanda Page rules! As do the the demon boobs! Full of cheesy early 80s goodness! I know there is an R2 DVD around, but picture quality is supposed to be pretty bad so I have been sticking with my VHS.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I recall seeing it many years ago on VHS, and not having seen it since. Not too great or memorable, but great 80's fun. Bobbie Bresee also starred later in the super cheesy Evil Spawn.

9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

As soon as it gets a legit release, I'll be buying. I recall this one being fun.

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Very weird exploitation film. The effects are actually pretty good, the acting is mostly bad, and the film feels more like a 70s flick than an 80s one. The demon tits are cheesy as hell. My favorite thing about the movie was the perverted Mexican gardener. That guy was great. Anyway, it was enjoyable enough.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I saw this when I was a little kid, parents had no clue of course, I used to get my older cousins to rent them for me, anyway, I don't remember jack shit from this movie other than the title, LOL!

12. Good flick, I have it on vhs.

13. legz

legz Member

I saw a couple of them for sale on eBay as a region 0 DVD and I remembered the box cover from the 80's, but couldn't remember what it was about or if it was any good. Now I will have to think about getting it just to see the demon tits.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I could never warm to Mausoleum. I missed the theatrical release but I wasn't impressed when I rented the VHS as soon as it came out. The lead actress had an acting level that wasn't too believable. I think the final act was okay, but I fell asleep twice trying to make it to that point.
    It's worth a looksee...I may do the same, myself and re-visit this one.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I did, however, enjoy LaWanda (Aunt Esther from Sanford & Son) Page's "feets don't fail me now" maid performance. She was fun to watch.

16. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

-- Bobbie Bresee also starred later in the super cheesy Evil Spawn--

Or maybe more of note, she was a Playboy playmate :)

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Only watched this once, as a kid. I do remember the demon tits but the rest is kinda blurry.
    Time for a revisit, if it should ever come out on DVD ...

18. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Damn. I put this on last night. However, an exception to my rule, I found myself fast fowarding through chunks of it. It's really dull and boring, with action sequences thrown in. The prothetics and such are pretty fun, and there's gore scattered here and there. But everything in between, and the lame storyline, are best avoided.

Since I watched the Vipco R2 release I won't bother with commenting on the A/V.

Strange one this, bits of nudity, gore, action, and some monster breasts. So how did it manage to be so dull? I'd watch it again if someone did it right. I bought this for two UK pounds, so I suppose I can't complain.

19. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I thought it was really a cheezy movie. Recently got a bootleg of it off ebay. But then I watched the first twenty minutes over, and noticed it was written by a woman, which sort of got my interest again, especially since these movies are often condemned for their misogyny. As I continued watching, I got sort of this bargain basement interpretation of a life of a housewife (albiet a possessed one) who is frequently alone for long spaces due to her lifestyle and is surrounded by men who can't explain or predict her behavior. Granted, it was possession, but interesting it only happened to the women of the family. But I realy feel it had something to say sociologically through the script. Still a great cheezy movie though.

20. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Hey - nice pick up Scott! I never saw it that way due to boredom. When you fast forward through to the gore, you miss a lot. I totally see what you're saying - and I think you're on the money. Cool.