Masters Of Horror Box Set In The U.k.

Discussion in 'General' started by hots4, Apr 7, 2006.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Though a few people may be interested in this, ABUK have decided not to release the master of horror episodes seperately, they have now decided to release a box set of the whole series, no more details at the moment.

2. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

God damn it, Anchor Bay! I really, really hope that the US guys get their shit together and release a MoH box set stateside. I really don't want to buy individual episodes at a time. They aren't even releaseing them in chronological order!

3. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

if the price is reasonable, i might pick that up.

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

It's the only way I'd buy them - a nice box. They're part of a series, and I want the whole series. So well done ABUK. You got a sale here.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

While we're on the subject, has Miike's Imprint aired anywhere yet?
    I thought I read something about it was gonna air in the UK or somewhere in Europe in early April. I assume it hasn't since it's not on any torrent site yet.:(
    If it's in this boxset and they are all hooked up like the US discs, I'll probably drop coin on it too.

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Box set, schmock set. The discs AB are giving us here in the U.S. are packed with enough features to warrant a $10 price tag. And I don't mind spending $130 over the course of time it takes to get them all out. They look great.

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Imprint is on TV and I type this.....

8. bigdaddyhorse

Sweet, should be online by the time the Pistons game is over.:D

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Is there a link for this news? Didn't they already release Cigarette Burns / Dreams In The Witch House over there on one disc? Were sales not as they expected so they decided to scratch the disc by disc release?

At any rate, I will get a reasonably priced box set so I hope this works out.

Edited to add: I found this at their site.

I guess it sucks for people who got the first release, but I think it is good they are going this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2006
  10. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Imprint just finished.

Pretty good. The pluses are:

Some nasty finger torture
    Lots of dead fetuses (some floating down a river, some in buckets of drinking water)
    Some wife beating that's quite nasty
    Extended torture scene that is well shot
    Great soundtrack

The minuses are:

The American lead is pretty crap
    Some Basketcase style FX don't come off too well

All in all it was worth seeing, imo. Once the box comes out it'll be a good addition.

ABUK did release two episodes on DVD. I'm not sure why they changed their mind about this, but soon after releasing the first two episodes they reversed themselves and announced there would be no more single disc releases, and they'd hold off for a box set later in the year. I think basically they got the message that people didn't want the series broken up into pieces. As I understand it, this is a sales/marketing decision. They simply got it wrong with the episode release plan - and for once, they corrected it before getting in too deep.

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Huh. News of this is now posted on the front page of www.anchorbay.co.uk

It simply says:

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Yeah, I found it and updated my post right after I posted. It sounds like they didn't sell as well as expected - and rightfully so. Who wants the series broken up? I hope Anchor Bay USA listens, but they probably won't. At least I know I can go this option come the fall.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    So, does this mean they will give people back their money on the single releases if they buy the boxed set??? Fucking leaches!!

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Of course they won't. This is not the first time this has happened - I got caught first time, but not this time. Thinking about this, wasn't it obvious a box would come at some point? The first time this happened was when Network in the UK released Season 1 of the series "Thriller". No other seasons were issued individually - instead they put out a COMPLETE box set several months later. That meant buying a big box (16 discs I think) an duplicating that first four.

I guess we should remember that no-one makes us buy this stuff. I was always going to wait for the box, I'm just being rewarded earlier :)

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yes, it does suck. I bought Cigarette Burns/Dreams in the Witch House yesterday ... It really, really does suck.

16. bigdaddyhorse

If it is different for anyone else, let me know.
    Cigarette burns and Dreams were released here in the states, both as their own SE disc with commentaries and making of's (both with an extra Best Buy featurette "From Script To Screen") to all retail stores. Pretty sure most stores other than Best Buy got 2 packs with both SE discs.
    All rental stores got a single disc with both features and none of the extras.

Now AB has seen all the bitching online and will go the boxset route?
    Great news actually, that's a lot less wait and temptation before the box that had to happen.:)
    I would imagine/hope there will be some offer to get a few bucks back by ripping off your proof of purchases (hope ya saved your reciept too) from the singles and the box. If not they just straight up wrong!

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The single discs are going for less than $10 at Walmart. Truth be told I can't see myself picking these up in either individual or box set packs. In a way I'd prefer the individual sets as I don't even want some of the episodes in any form other than free. Dance of the Dead and Chocolate were just plain bad. The others I wouldn't want to pay more than $5 a piece for. I don't care how many extras they load onto a disc. You can cover a turd with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and jimmies, but you're not going to fool me into thinking it's an ice cream sundae.

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Bring on the boxset.

19. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I assume those in the US will still get single releases. The announcement over at ABUK was referring to R2. Have we heard anything about R1?

20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, you really have a point, Maybrick! I've only seen the first 8 so far and out of those, there are only 2 I wanted to buy on DVD.