March & April Horror Movie Watching Thread 2020 - Coronavirus Edition!

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I've gone back and started watching CHEERS from the beginning. What a great show. I remember watching as a kid and it never dawned on me the bar was in Boston. When you're little, you think your little bubble is the entire world. So of course they're talking about the Red Sox....who doesn't? LOL but yeah, it's been fun revisiting those old episodes.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Cheers is the best.

I'd also say that it lulled after the first few seasons, but really picked up once Kirstie Alley joined the cast. Not due to her (although she is pretty funny), it was mostly due to finally being able to jettison the Sam/Diane dynamic and just focus on bar stuff. The elevation of Kelsey Grammer from a minor character helped, along with Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith.

The day Sam buys the bar back (selling price: $1.00. Actual price paid by Sam: $0.75. Sam: "I lowballed 'em") was one of television's happiest moments for me.

Natas likes this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

The Abominable Snowman: I think this is perhaps my favourite Hammer movie. It has such a wonderful sense of mystery. There is a lot of build-up before we see the Yeti, and when we finally do, it's a brief moment with the creature hidden mostly in the shadow. It works, because what you don't want with a movie like this is to demystify the legend. The Abominable Snowman gives you just enough for you to feel satisfied while leaving you with a sense of curiosity and wanting more. It's a delicate balance, and this movie gets it right.

Blood Stalkers: Bigfoot meets Scooby Doo meets Deliverance. Unfortunately, much of the movie you can't see what's going on, and what you can see isn't terribly exciting. It took me three attempts to make it through it. On the first two, I had trouble keeping my eyes open before finishing it at noon on the third try.

And that's it. All this time staying at home, and nowhere near the amount of horror I would have liked. And I start work tomorrow, so there.

fattyjoe37 and satans-sadists like this.
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I know what you mean, only in exact reverse. I grew up in NY, but went to school in Boston, and was surprised at first to see the sports section talking about the Patriots and Red Sox, when I was so used to Jets/Giants and Yankees/Mets. For about a second I was all "Huh? Who cares about the Patriots?" before it dawned on me that local media talks about local teams. Duh.

Angelman and Natas like this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Sam: "Hey, what time is it?"

Norm: "How many beers have I had?"

Cliff: "11"

Norm: "Its 8:05"

Hahahahahhaha that had me cracking up

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dude, we could quote Cheers all day.

after Carla's husband sent her flowers for their anniversary
    Rebecca: I wish more men would send flowers.
    Sam: I didn't know Mormons couldn't send flowers
    Rebecca. Not MorMON. I said "more men"
    Sam: I know they can't dance
    Norm: No Sammy, that's the Amish
    Rebecca: I just want someone to send me flowers!
    Sam: Yeah, but why's it gotta be a Mormon?
    Rebecca (leaving): Arrrrrrrrgh!
    Sam: You know, you just can't discuss religion with some people.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One more, from the episode where Sam was sent to Mexico to bartend. He's mixing a drink in a blender, and talking to a pretty girl

Customer: Bartender, can we get a couple of Pina Coladas?
    Sam: Sure thing, let me just finish making this margarita.
    Sam (to the girl): So, where are you from, Margarita?

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dammit, one more, from the pilot episode

Coach (answering the phone): Cheers. Hold on, let me check. (to the bar) Is there an Ernie Pantusso here?
    Sam: That's you, Coach
    Coach: Speaking

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've never seen one episode of Cheers before.

The big one.

Galaxy of Terror -

galaxy of terror poster.jpg

I finally watched Galaxy of Terror. I didn't know what to expect of the movie. I just knew James Cameron worked on it in his early days. I actually thought one of the characters in the movie was named Cameron until I checked wiki and his name is Cabren. Perhaps it was just late because many times I thought they were saying Cameron.

Anyway, there are many other notable actors that I didn't expect in the movie too. Some horror fans will recognize. I think I heard mixed feelings about Galaxy of Terror. But also that the movie influenced Aliens. And it does look like Aliens at times with the corridors and some of the shots. There are some fantastic paintings in the movie including a shot inside a pyramid that reminded me of Forbidden Planet. Even some of the events are similar to Aliens. The opening also reminded me a bit of Night of the Creeps. But what surprised me the most about the movie was that it wasn't that bad. It's not the best and far from Aliens. However, most of all I thought the movie felt like a live action version of a comic story that you might come across in Heavy Metal magazine. One of those really out there space stories with explorers going to unknown planets, having all kinds of problems arise, lots of violence, scenes that you would think would only be in a comic, and an ending that you would look forward to a conclusion in the next issue.

That poster image should tell you the kind of movie you will receive. But the poster is like a producer just told an artist to draw a scene without seeing the movie as the imagery is wrong. I bet Rockin Jelly Bean could come up with a really wild poster for Galaxy of Terror. This Friday the 13th homage is tame,

erostika 13th poster rockin jelly bean.jpg

compared to many of their posters here.

https://expressobeans.com/public/search.php?artist=2947

But I found this poster as well. Which is probably way too good for the quality of the movie. Galaxy of Terror calls for a dark and wild poster hinting at the craziness you'll see on screen.

galaxy of terror poster Christopher Shy.jpg

But from this poster I did finally find a good alternate Nightmare on Elm Street poster with some of the main characters.

nightmare on elm street poster Christopher Shy.jpg

Both of these posters have color variants. I know I'm getting one of these Nightmare on Elm Street posters. There is room for improvement such as maybe a few more characters and some notable scenes. But overall the feel of the poster with the characters is what I'm looking for.

Back to Galaxy of Terror, there are elements of a really good movie in here. I love the Captain of the ship. She's hilarious. She has a line early on that cracked me up and I would probably use the bathroom on myself if a pilot behaved like that to me in that scene. There is also a great line the Commander says to the pretty blonde lady. Sadly if an older guy said that to a woman today it might be seen as unwanted sexual advances or some other nonsense.

If you like violent deaths you'll be pleased with this movie. It doesn't let up on any of the crew. And that first poster image is a tease to what's in the movie. Apparently it's not just trees that can act crazy in horror movies.

I do think that looking at the movie, you can definitely see the talent behind the production. I saw James Cameron's name as a 2nd director as well. I would bet that a remake with a female hero would be a lot better. Also cleaning up the story a bit too. Although I did notice some things on a second watch & listen. But in the end the movie's conclusion didn't do much for me. And I enjoy about the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the movie the most. But I would take a modern sequel.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember all I've watched since last posting. I think I forgot a bunch of it, but here's what I can remember?

Killer Rats (2003) - Fun little creature feature from director Tibor Takacs (The Gate, I Madman) and writers Adam Gierasch and Jace Anderson (Night Of The Demons remake). Also features Ron Perlman. Basically rats invade a mental asylum and no one believes the patients. I remembered seeing this on USA back in the day when they were doing those early '00 creature features like Crocodile and Spiders (also written by Gierasch and Anderson). Definitely delivers what you want out of a movie like this. The DVD is fullscreen and has terrible audio, which is a shame because it's a fairly well made movie.

Hack! - I had seen this slasher back when it was first released, but couldn't remember a thing about it. Definitely forgettable, but also not bad. Gorier than I remembered. I enjoyed revisiting. Kane Hodder is the opening kill, and the cast features Danica McKellar, Juliet Landau, Sean Kanan, William Forsythe, Lochlyn Munro, etc. Probably towards the end of the era where these direct-to-video slashers could still be shot on film.

Sadistic Intentions - I had thought this was the new Jeremy Gardner movie (The Battery, After Midnight), but apparently he is only the star and someone else directed. I was going to say this was probably his best, but it's still nothing special. Decent atmosphere and a swimming pool full of severed heads, but otherwise it's fairly standard hipster horror. Larry Fessenden cameos are one of my favorite things ever, but you wouldn't even realize he was in this one.

Evil Town - Crazy movie from Vinegar Syndrome. Mostly filmed in the '70s involving four people whose car breaks down in a town full of creepy old people. However, in the '80s, they decided to spruce up the running time with footage shot in the '80s of horny teenagers in the woods being terrorized by evil mechanics and spliced it into the movie. Then this hybrid movie was entirely remade in the '80s as Evils Of The Night. You can definitely tell the difference between the '70s and '80s footage, which kind of adds to the fun.

Ozark: Season One - Good show for fans of Breaking Bad and whatnot. However, it's very serious and sometimes sleepily paced, so it's a show I really have to be in the mood for when I turn it on.

Elite: Season One - Tawdry teen trash. It's basically Degrassi with R-rated sex scenes. I'm kind of enjoying it.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    - I enjoyed this much more on the second viewing, however I still think the never-ending sequence of DiCaprio filming his western is tedious and brings the movie to a screeching halt.

Body Rock - LOL it is what it is. The Lorenzo Lamas character is pretty unlikable, but the '80s fashion and dance sequences keep it fun.

Love Wedding Repeat - Yawn, so boring.

The Cable Guy - Hadn't seen this in forever. Enjoyed seeing it again. Carrey is a lot of fun. Crazy that he was paid $20 million for this silly little "fill-in-the-blank from hell" satire.

Kim Bruun and ImmortalSlasher like this.
  11. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Close Your Eyes (2002) - a hypnotherapist gets mixed up in the search for a killer who has occult motives. This was a rewatch and although the basic film is good and creepy, the effects make it seem terribly dated and tame. Paddy Considine and Shirley Henderson have atypical parts. Fun fact: this is based on a book called Doctor Sleep and even goes under that title on Letterboxd.

Dead Center (2019) - Cult film director Shane Carruth has the lead in this movie that starts out as a zombie movie but turns into something else. Good setting in a mental health unit and solid script make this worth watching.

Touch of Death (1988) - Fulci comedy (!) following a man who kills and steals money from rich women. OK latter day gory Fulci effort. Free to watch on Amazon Prime.

Effects (1980) - Oddball story of a film director secretly making a snuff film alongside a legitimate low budget one he is shooting. I like this film a lot and just discovered it was shot near me so all the special features on the disc were doubly interesting. Tom Savini and other Romero associates are involved in this effective, creepy little film worth watching for those who don't mind its low-budget, rather bland look.

Daniel Isn't Real (2019) - I couldn't really get into this movie despite its good reviews from horror fans. I had a problem with the basic set up of a college student who "resurrects" his imaginary childhood friend who slowly begins to rule his life.

Slugs (1988) - So much fun - gooey deaths, crazy dialog, bad acting. Another find from Amazon Prime.

Other good movies I have seen are Cache, Michael Haneke's cold, unsettling investigation of guilt, Seven Men From Now, a classic B western from Randolph Scott and Budd Boetticher with Lee Marvin as a swaggering gunman and a great ending and Orgies of Edo, a Japanese exploitation film from Teruo Ishii. The last segment of that one is a classic.

Kim Bruun and Angelman like this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Good to know. I just got it, blind buy, from the recent MVD sale. Looking forward to watching it.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Be sure to rewatch Frasier when you finish with Cheers--I'd forgotten how great these shows were.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dr. Frasier Crane: [entering his bachelor party] I was listening to a rock 'n' roll station on my way over here, you know to put me in the mood. There was a passage in one of those tribal songs, that I feel, well, is the keynote of this evening: "Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight."

Only funny when Kelsey Grammer delivers it. Which as it turns out, was intentional by the Cheers' writing staff; coming up with deliberately unfunny lines, to see if Grammer could make it funny when he says it.

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Well I guess since some people in the United States want to come out of lock down regardless of safety. And even though we don't have a vaccine ready they are willing to take the risk. The viewing is about to be over. At least for me it is as I need to refocus on some things. I always want my October to be better anyway for more horror movies. Plus, this virus situation was eye opening and I need to do some other stuff.

So my last review. At least until October. Or unless there is a specific topic around here.

Ma -

ma.jpg

First thought is that this is probably in the top 5 Blumhouse horror movies. It's tough to do a review without spoiling it. But I'll say that the events that seem to be popular in the United States, well the villain in this movie has more than enough reasons. I really believe that treat people like you want to be treated rule. But some don't. And if they don't, you really should stay away from them as many times bad things come back. And they come back even worse.

Ma is like a really good LMN movie. I thought the scene with the kids attempting to find someone to buy them alcohol was hilarious. I remember a few people I knew in High School attempting to find people to buy them Playboy magazines. But it's odd as I didn't drink till I was 21 as I thought the law was 21 to buy and drink alcohol. I had many chances before but never did. But these High School kids are jumping to drink and smoke. And in the movie, it's like giving candy to babies.

There are a few strange gaps in the movie that I wanted to know the answers to. I guess that's why Ma is still an LMN type movie. But horror fans might enjoy this one. I think this was sold as a horror movie in commercials. I would say it's a horror / thiller type movie. It's funny too and Octavia Spencer is great as Ma.

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Watched “Simon, King of the Witches” which really isn’t horror, but I dig subtle witchy post-Manson stuff and this qualifies. It’s goofy but earnest and worth a viewing. Andrew Prine gives his role everything he’s got which probably rescues the film.

I love Effects. Everything guerilla film making should be.

17. Angelman

Watched Necromancy... kind of a soft Witchy/Wickerman-ish vibe. Cheap. Orson Welles sleepwalks through it.

Moving on...

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Usual Suspects
    Prey
    Black Mama White Mama
    The French Connection
    Her Name was Lisa
    The Case of the Scorpion's Tail

And yes, another Sunday of Law & Order and Police Story

Angelman likes this.
  19. Angelman

Up From the Depths (1979)

What a weird Jaws rip off. Follows the same beats, populated by similar character types but it can’t decide if it is a comedy or horror film and tons of it is poorly ADR’d making for an awkward, jarring experience.

20. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

House on Straw Hill (1976) - British sex and violence exploitation with genre favorites Udo Kier and Linda Hayden is actually not that good. Udo is dubbed, the plot is obvious, the sex scenes are silly, there's a questionable rape scene and the climax is ridiculous. I've wanted to see this for ages and was highly disappointed.

Lady in a Cage (1964) - Early home invasion thriller/horror movie with Olivia de Havilland stuck in a caged elevator (in her house) while various characters rob her. This is quite a nasty movie for its time and seems to be a commentary on the increase of brutality and violence in society in the 1960s. It is let down by the portrayal of the three main invaders (one is James Caan) who are seen as clownish and mentally deficient and that detracts from the intensity. This could also be seen as part of the cycle of "Hag horror" started by Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Definitely worth a watch.

Dark of the Night (aka Mr Wrong) (1986) - Young woman buys a used car and discovers it is haunted. Average New Zealand thriller which shows its hand a bit early. Way below Duel, Christine and The Car in the haunted/possessed vehicle canon.

The Boat (2018) - Unusual story (with barely any dialog) of a young man who gets stuck on a boat which which seems to have a mind of its own. From haunted car to haunted boat, this is a really well done movie by a father/son team who get as much out of the premise as possible. Free to watch on Amazon Prime - I would be interested in seeing what other people think of this.

The Majorettes (1987) - John Russo delivers another dud. It's a below average slasher as someone is killing a school's majorettes (no cheerleaders were available apparently) that shoehorns in a revenge subplot for 20 minutes or so. Another movie that was shot near me.

Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)
    Tenebre (1984)

Two giallo essentials.

The most horrifying film I saw recently was Panic in Needle Park, a non-sensationalist and intense study of drug addiction. Perfect example of 1970s American film-making.

Angelman likes this.