March & April Horror Movie Watching Thread 2020 - Coronavirus Edition!

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Watching Crimes of Passion. It’s not good, just bold... hard to believe Kathleen Turner made this the same year as Romancing the Stone.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Over the weekend, I watched
    Dagon (RIP, Stuart!)
    New Gladiators
    An American Crime
    Malabimba

and more episodes of Law and Order than I'd care to admit. Three more episodes of Police Story, too.

An American Crime, wow. What a gut punch of a movie. I'd seen it before, also The Girl Next Door. But AAC just really hits you. Then I made the mistake of looking up Sylvia Likens on Wikipedia, and found that An American Crime is about 10% as severe as what that girl endured in reality. If I ever meet Catherine Keener, I'm gonna ask how the hell she could even play a character like Gertrude. I've heard of actors being sickened by their roles (Steve Buscemi in Ghost World, and Topher Grace in BlacKKKlansman are well known examples), but that woman was just a monster. Not even one redeeming quality. I'm against the death penalty, but there are definite times to make an exception and that woman is one of them.

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I watched Slither the other day. Man I need to buy that shout blu.....that dvd looks awful. Every time there's movement everything kind of blurs a bit. I fucking love this movie. My best friend and fellow horror fanatic caught a midnight showing of this when it was out theatrically. Had a few beers beforehand (understatement) and we both passed out 5 minutes in and woke up to an empty theater mid credits. Literally the definition of a waste of money. Unfortunately that friend of mine passed away a few months ago but I was thinking about him a lot while watching Slither. Such a fun movie.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, that's the reverse art on the blu-ray.

Still working on various TV series, but two movies I've watched in the meantime:

A Blade In The Dark - First time viewing for me. I loved parts of it, but was aggressively bored by others. Apparently this originated as a 4 part TV series of 27 minute episodes that are capped off with a gruesome murder. So the DVD is 108 minutes with a classic Italian slasher sequence every 27 minutes, but a whole lot of just wandering around a villa in between. It did feature Bob from House By The Cemetery and Michele Soavi. I'll also admit that the killer reveal took me completely by surprise.

Hell Riders - This was maybe not the Vinegar Syndrome release I was most looking forward to, but I was pleasantly surprised. I mean, it's definitely a movie from the director of Don't Go In The Woods, but it's never boring. All the stuff in the town where the locals congregate around the diner is great. Also spotted a few brief cameos from Higgins Haven from Friday The 13th Part 3. If you're going for a Vinegar Syndrome "bikers attack a small town" movie, Savage Dawn is the better movie, however this is still a whole lot of exploitation fun!

Kim Bruun likes this.
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just checked the TCM schedule for April, and there's just a ton of great movies playing this month. Too much to even list them, just check it out yourself: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?ecid=subnavmonthschedule
    Hell, as I speak, they're running Kurosawa movies all day (it would have been Toshiro Mifune's 100th birthday today). But also some 50s monster movies, 70s NYC crime films, Filipino-made women in prison movies, some Lone Wolf and Cub, etc. There's several days this month you could just binge TCM and be happy.

6. CPT HOOK

More movies:

Give Me Liberty - If you're into unique indies or modern-verite (Sean Baker, Andrea Arnold, Chloe Zhao, etc), this is a really great one! The movie follows a medical transport driver over the course of a day, and all the unique characters he crosses paths and forms unlikely bonds with. The plot is simple, but the movie is an excellent depiction of controlled chaos, with two outstanding performances from first-time actors Chris Galust and Lauren Spencer, both of whom were nominated for Spirit Awards this year. Galust appears to have landed a role in the upcoming Castle Freak remake after his film debut here.

Not for everyone, but if you're open to something different and aggressively un-Hollywood, this is highly recommended!

Banana Split - This is a new indie teen comedy about two high school girls who form an unlikely friendship despite the fact that one of them is the new girlfriend of the other's ex-boyfriend. I was extremely charmed by the first half of this movie, and it was refreshing to have a depiction of two young women who aren't killing each other over some average to mediocre guy. However, it falls into some predictable and unnecessary conflict that drags the movie down. I did spot of a poster for Blood Beach in one of the theater scenes.

Innocent Prey - I finally got around to watching this '80s slasher after seeing Trapped earlier this month, which has a few tenuous connections (namely because it was partially filmed in Dallas). Very entertaining movie, and like Olivia I enjoyed the split between two locations (this time Dallas TX and Australia). The movie stars P.J. Soles as a woman who discovers that her husband is not only cheating on her, but also murdering prostitutes (played by Friday The 13th: A New Beginning's Debi Sue Voorhees). She turns him into the police, but he escapes and pursues her through their cabin-in-the-woods. This alone would be enough for one movie, but then she flees him to go to Australia, where he follows her. However, not only is her serial killer husband after her, but now her creepy Australian landlord is stalking her via the security cameras he has hidden throughout her apartment. It very much turns into the Sharon Stone movie Sliver. Really fun movie, certainly not boring. I'd be game for a blu-ray.

7. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Perfect summary of the movie - I think someone (maybe on here) described it as the "walkingest" movie ever and that part where the woman jumps out of the closet is ridiculous. When I watched it last I tried to figure out where each episode ended but it did not seem to work out as every 27 minutes but maybe I am misremembering. The kill in the bathroom is one of the best in a giallo.

Murder Rock : Dancing Death - Unusual Fulci giallo as the violence is de-emphasized in favor of a slightly artsy approach to the cinematography which is still good but the effect of a light going on and off is overused. Apart from that it's typical giallo nonsense plot with a slightly tired feel to it. I rate it 3/5 but it's the worst of Fulci's gialli.

Non-horror I have seen lately which are worth viewing are Elevator to the Gallows, a fatalistic French noir/new wave effort with a brilliant plot, Crime Wave, an efficient (73 mins) film noir and Knives Out which is wonderfully entertaining and clever. The 131 minutes flew by.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

It works out for the first two kills, but I don't think it necessarily works for part 3. Part 4 has all the action, so that one is a non-issue.

I watched April Fool's Day for obvious reasons, as well as all the video extras on Scream Factory's new blu-ray. Perhaps my favorite '80s slasher? If not, it's close.

Also watched the new entry in Hulu/Blumhouse's Into The Dark series titled Pooka Lives. A sequel to their Christmas entry Pooka, which was terrible. This one is much more fun. Not great or anything, pretty tame and safe, but perfectly watchable. The gay cop character was fun.

I also started a series on NetFlix called October Faction, but it's pretty underwhelming so far. It was cancelled, so I might not even bother finishing it. Also started season 5 of iZombie, which is the final season.

Plus I watched an episode of the terrific Disney+ series Encore. This show is wonderful and every episodes functions as a standalone, so I've been kind of savoring them and spacing them out a bit. I'm on episode 10 and only have 2 left. I hope they do another season!

9. CPT HOOK

I revisited both Interview With The Vampire and Queen Of The Damned on blu-ray. Probably haven't seen Interview since the '90s and Queen I've only seen once while it was in theaters.

Interview is kind of an anomaly. It's a huge studio produced feature that's both elegant and classy, but also incredibly trashy and entertaining. Good stuff.

Queen is a movie I hated in theaters. Seeing it again 20 years later, it's like watching an MTV '90s rock version of The Apple. Still awful, but it kept me entertained.

I also sprang for a premium VOD rental of Never Rarely Sometimes Always, a movie I had very much been looking forward to before theaters closed. I thought it was really good, although it's extremely heavy. I'm surprised the MPAA let this one get away with a PG-13 rating, but I'm glad they did. I would say I preferred the director's previous movie Beach Rats, but they're both highly recommended.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Can't think of a better time than to bust out some puzzles. Luckily we had some cool movie related puzzles lying around. (Can't wait to get framed, once a Target trip for poster frames won't be deemed fucking stupid)

And yes there's a missing piece in the Jaws puzzle. Fucking cats :D

IMG_20200405_2009419.jpg

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Weekend viewing:
    The Panic in Needle Park
    Fingers
    Report to the Commissioner
    Luce
    Count Dracula's Great Love
    and as always, a Sunday binge of Law and Order and Police Story

12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

This weekend I decided to marathon some horror films. Besides watching some episodes of the first season of Mannix.
    Halloween (1978)
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    Cabin Fever (2002)
    Mandy (2018)
    As Above, So Below (2014)
    REC (2007)
    Trench 11 (2017)

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  13. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

As Above, So Below is one of the better reality type horror movies to me. Although I thought something would come of that weird girl walking past the club. Unless I just can't remember right now. I like how the main actress is an Indiana Jones / Lara Croft type with her adventure bag.

indrid13 likes this.
  14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

I think she might have been a member of the cult that was in the catacombs.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Haven't been taking part in this thread yet, but wanted to share this Letterboxd list breaking down all the movies currently available to rent via virtual screening rooms (and I imagine will be updated as more are added). These rentals support indie theaters during this time when they are forced to be closed. I'm going to be checking out Centipede Horror and Godmonster of Indian Flats to support the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema over the next couple days. There are also art house theaters around the country hosting virtual screenings that will help keep them afloat during these uncertain times. Check the notes on the list for rental info for each film.

https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/art-house-online-films-available-via-virtual/

indrid13 and MorallySound like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

I've recommended it so many times here already, but Extra Ordinary is a MUST SEE.

I would also highly recommend Balloon, The Etruscan Smile, and Saint Frances. None are horror, but Balloon is pretty suspenseful. Saint Frances is super charming, it reminded me a lot of Obvious Child which I also loved.

A lot of the movies on that list played here at the local film festival last summer.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Got a chance to watch the two Alamo-At-Home virtual screenings uploaded by the Drafthouse so far. Rentals were $7.75 for a week and came with the company's patented pre-show clip reel made up of trailers/commercials/other oddities tying into the theme of the film and an introduction. I enjoyed Centipede Horror more than Godmonster of Indian Flats, although the bonus material for the latter was 10 minutes longer. The only issue was I wanted to watch the movies on my Roku Vimeo app, but the pre-show/intro weren't on there to watch. Had to go onto my laptop browser to watch those. Next week they'll release virtual screenings of Spookies and Roar.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Natas likes this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Watched The Last Temptation of Christ for the first time last night... Wow that was awful. It's difficult to even put into words. I'd probably feel the same way about The Day the Clown Cried. As an atheist I didn't expect to be won over by it philosophically but the production itself was really bad. I don't want to get into a debate so I probably shouldn't say anything more but if nothing else it was disappointing to see such a sub par film by really any standards. Kinda got me down.

So I watched Monty Python's Life of Brian tonight which is one of the best films ever made and really cheered me up again. It's amazing to me that Brian had half the budget and was written in less than half the time of The Last Temptation but not only had better production values but a more nuanced script and even better acting. And it came nearly ten years before and with naturalized accents of the cast to boot! o_O

Oh well. Always look on the bright side of life.
    [​IMG]

Colin and Natas like this.
  19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I finally got around to watching the new Blu of Argento’s Stendhal Syndrome. I had seen it before but didn’t like it as much this time around. Lots of issues here: I don’t buy Asia Argento as a cop (at all) and her casting - given the abuse the character takes - is weird since her dad is directing her. It feels like a missed opportunity because the titular Syndrome barely plays a role in the film. And the digital effects... yikes.

Blu looked great though. No issues there.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

My viewing, mostly recorded movies on my DVR:
    Jennifer on my Mind
    Burn Witch Burn!
    Caged Heat
    Joker
    The Farewell
    and again, tons of Law & Order and Police Story

and I always liked Last Temptation of Jebus...