March & April Horror Movie Watching Thread 2020 - Coronavirus Edition!

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Academy Awards be damned, this movie is Reese Witherspoon's finest moment. I'm serious.

Your post reminded me I still had this on my DVR from a Showtime airing about a year ago. I have that DVD too, but it's not even anamorphic. I figured the Showtime airing would be HD, but it really wasn't. This is a movie sorely in need of a high quality Blu-Ray release.

Myron Breck likes this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yes, yes, and yes. The one on Prime is defintely not HD--but still alittle better than my DVD, I think.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Despite being non-anamorphic, I didn't think the Freeway DVD looked terrible considering it was one of the first I ever got. It wasn't thee first DVD I ever bought, but was probably within the first 10.

A few I've watched since the last post:

Trapped (1989): the Fred Walton thriller with Kathleen Quinlan and Bruce Abbott trapped in an office tower with a baseball bat wielding psychopath. A fun little thriller for sure, it reminded me of a late '80s P2, especially the parking garage finale.

Girls With Balls: this is sort of a French remake of Blood Games (1990) only with some quirky touches like an expository guitar player ala Dead & Breakfast. Very dumb and very juvenile, but also kind of fun if you're in the right mindset. You can find it on NetFlix.

21 Bridges: a pretty generic and forgettable movie of its kind. Yawn.

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Don't worry, He won't get that far on Foot

art32_film_dontworry.jpg

I read an article last week with Jonah Hill who claimed this was his best acting performance. Im shocked this didn't get a full theatrical release 2 years ago.

Anyways.....really well acted drama. It can be quite the bummer at times but it's an outstanding film. It's on Prime.

Myron Breck likes this.
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Cool, added that movie to my Netflix queue (yes, I still get discs in the mail from them).

A couple more things on the classic Freeway:
    What are some of your favorite Vanessa Lutz quotes? She has dozens of classics. Of course there's the ultimate Little Red Riding Hood altering of "Well, what big ugly fuckin' teeth ya got there, Bob", but I might get an even bigger laugh when she's prostituting in the barrio: "Sexo?"
    And not a quote, but I love when the judge decides she's going to be tried as an adult, and she's just laughing hysterically at Bob's appearance.

Finally, a little error. Or is it? The opening scene has her unable to read "The cat drinks milk", but later she has no problem reading the menu at the diner. I don't think she's really illiterate though, she's just pretending to be.

6. CPT HOOK

Even though it's the big trailer line, my favorite is from that scene. "HO-LEE SHIT! Look who got beat with the ug-lee stick!"

"...and hey, I heard you have one of those big pewp bags that's like attached to your body and all your shit comes out and like lands in it! You just a big ol' shit bag, ain't you Bob? You just think of me every time you empty that motherfuckin' thang, motherfucker!"

Myron Breck likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There were actually two courtroom scenes (I just watched it last night so it's fresh in my memory); the one you describe is the arraignment, the second one is the one where she's to be tried as an adult, and she's just laughing. What makes it so funny is that it's not a maniacal "fake" laugh, she's actually hiding under her hair laughing. Had to rewind it a couple of times, she does such a great job in that scene.

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Night of the Living Dead (Original) -

Night of the Living Dead Poster.jpg

Perhaps Night of the Living Dead is another reason I don't mind staying at home. It's just a good story about attempting to protect yourself from what is outside.

I know I saw the remake first. I think I prefer the remake because of the stronger female lead, the music, and it's just a bit more humorous with the arguments between Ben and Cooper. I remember seeing the remake by accident at night not knowing what it was and it turned out to be a nice surprise.

I saw the original fairly recently for the first time in the last ten to fifteen or so years. I still watch it as it's very good and a classic horror movie. I can't decide if I should get the poster above yet. They have a black and white version too. But I like that moonlight on the color version. I want to see someone attempt a poster for the remake. I think I like how the remake shows the surrounding areas and the house a bit more compared to the original as well.

If anything, I think after this outbreak, people will be really prepared for the next disaster.

Natas and Kim Bruun like this.
  9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Last night, I watch the The Fly - the original from 1958. I had watched Return of the Fly earlier this month and found it enjoyable in a time-has-passed sort of way. I did remember the original being more grim, but considering what Cronenberg did with the concept in 1986, would the 1958 just be a hoary piece of 50's nostalgia? One thing I had forgotten was that the movie starts with the events immediately following the death of the scientist at the hands of his wife, with the main story being told in a flashback. That's actually a very effective approach, because we know from the beginning that things aren't going to end well. What makes things even more compelling is that the hero of the story is actually the wife. She is beautiful and smart, and there is something deeply sad about her trying to retain her composure after her husband's disastrous second teleportation, as well as her desperate attempt to catch the mutant fly which they both hope will restore him. Both characters are well fleshed out, and we care about them as a couple - she respects how passionate he is about his work, yet his affection for her is obvious. Had he been an emotionally distant oddball, we as an audience had probably just seen him as a monster on the loose for our entertainment and not really cared about his plight. The fly prosthetics are excellent - I especially found the twitching mouth parts unsettling.

the-fly-1958-featured.jpg

And even behind all this, the actor never fails to convey the emotional and mental state of his character. In short, a masterpiece of 50's horror. The only thing that lets it down is the fake spider near end. Man, that thing looks terrible!

ImmortalSlasher and Angelman like this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Tiger King

EXOTIC_Joe-Exotic-5.jpg

Yeah......the hype is real. Fucking nutty. Joe Exotic....fucking legend.

Animal rights, arson, murder, suicide, missing people, country spite music, reality television, politics, and a whole lotta gay meth heads with mulletts. Joe Dirt and Kenny Powers on meth.....and tigers. It's got it all.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

A few so far:

Angel Heart
    Effects
    Torso

All good fun...

Kim Bruun likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

I also started Tiger King, but I'm only 2 episodes in. Finished Curb Your Enthusiasm. Started the final season of Schitt's Creek.

I've also been working through the Arrow-verse for quite a while now, which I really enjoy despite the fact that I LOATHE superhero movies. It keeps branching off into more and more shows, so I'm currently just starting Legends Of Tomorrow. Fun so far. Joe Dante directed a '50s nostalgia episode.

As for movies, I watched two '80s genre films I'd never seen before:

Deadline via the new Vinegar Syndrome blu-ray. This was a neat little psychological drama. I don't know if I'd recommend approaching it as a horror film, but horror fans should dig it anyway. Great discovery from the fine folks at Vinegar Syndrome.

Mask Of Murder: this is a Canadian-set Swedish giallo featuring Christopher Lee and Rod Taylor. Not great, but if you're a slasher fan it at least warrants one viewing. It has a hilarious albeit foreseeable twist ending.

13. Kim Bruun

Satanico Pandemonium

What a title! Seriously, it just rolls off your tongue like the blare of a trumpet. Unfortunately, the movie is artsy and lacks the energy that the title so exploitively promised. Sister Maria is tempted by Satan to become his disciple in return for glory and sensual pleasures. She enjoys tepid Lesbian sex and tries to get it on with a young man who is, well, a bit too young for her. I don't know what the age of consent was in Mexico at the time, but the young man ain't consenting. After a second attempt to seduce him fails, she kills him and covers the crime by burning down his house. But honestly, this sounds A LOT more exciting than it really is. The movie revolves around Maria's spiritual crisis, but her character feels oddly distant. She is beautiful and expressive, and yet we earn very little about her. The other nuns are portrayed as either strict or self-pitying, making it difficult to feel sympathy for them as well. Some of them are so unlikable that they almost make Satan seem like the good guy. A bit of a dud.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, but Salma Hayek sure was hot in From Dusk Till Dawn, wasn't she?

Kim Bruun likes this.
  15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Suspicious Death of a Minor
    Joker

- joker was one of the most mean-spirited, pessimistic studio films I’ve ever seen. Bravo.

16. ImmortalSlasher

I don't think I knew there was an original Fly movie. I thought the one with the big teleporters was the original. That movie freaked me out. I've only seen it once when I was a kid. I didn't like how the transporter could mess someone up since I saw Star Trek before The Fly.

I only remember the terrible mutation and what I think was a scene with a hooker.

I thought this would be a movie with the character from Dusk till Dawn. Perhaps they got the name from this movie. I'll check it out one day.

17. Kim Bruun

That's the 1986 Cronenberg movie with Jeff Goldblum. The first film adaptation came in 1958, and also featured two big teleporters invloving a similar man-fly mishap. Both movies are excellent in their own right.

Salma Hayek's character in From Dusk Till Dawn is called Santanico Pandemonium, and she did indeed get her name from this movie.

18. CPT HOOK

More movies:

Olivia - Pretty interesting movie location wise, as the first half is London Bridge UK and second half is London Bridge Lake Havasu. Although according to the extras, a lot of it was faked in LA with brief exterior filming in those locations. You'd never know it. The Boogeyman is my favorite Lommel movie, but this is Suzanna Love's finest role. His early '80s fare is great, hard to believe he's the same guy who made those unwatchable LionsGate serial killer movies through the '00s.

Next Of Kin - For whatever reason, this is one of those movies I never got around to. There were a lot of effective moments throughout, although I found it a little confusing at times, which kept me occasionally detached. It all came together by the end though, and I feel like if I were to watch this a second time knowing what is going on, I'll probably LOVE it.

Freeway 2: Confessions Of A Trickbaby - Selling this as a sequel to Freeway doesn't exactly work in this one's favor. It's certainly more graphic than the first movie, but pales in comparison. On it's own right, it's still a wild little exploitation movie, but goes on maybe a bit too long. I do love that they leave a trail of crack rocks. The first movie is shocking, but entirely dialogue driven without showing much on the screen. This one goes for shock by simply leaving nothing to the imagination.

I have Matthew Bright's Ted Bundy movie on DVD somewhere. I remember disliking it, but might have to dig it out for a revisit.

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Shit is getting weird. You can feel it at the grocery stores. No one is chit-chatting, people are keeping their distance. Fucking eerie.

Anyways...... Normally watching Halloween movies or flicks like Silent Night Deadly Night at any other time than around their respected holiday..... Won't ever be tolerated. But seeing things are so fucking nutty right now, I'm thinking about doing a Halloween celebration at the house sometime soon. Bust out the decorations, pretend it's Halloween one day, dress up, maybe scare a neighborhood kiddy or two. Holidays are gonna be fucking weird this year anyway, regardless of how the next few weeks go......

20. ImmortalSlasher

I have a feeling that I might like the original Fly movie more than the remake.

I didn't catch that they changed the name a bit for Salma's character. I'll move it up the list. Salma and the bar location was the best part of From Dusk Till Dawn for me.

I'll check out Olivia. This poster probably wouldn't be that acceptable today.

Taste_of_Sin.jpg

I thought the Boogeyman would be this really bad version I saw and barely remember except that it was bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogeyman_(film)

They made three in that series. I think I saw the second one but can't remember it at all. And I only remember the third because of the lead actress. And there was a kind of revealing shot of another actress near the end of the movie.

Yeah some people that work at the stores are really scared. I posted about it in the Coronavirus topic. But it's reasonable. You don't know who has the virus. It's like something out of The Thing and that line nobody trusts anybody now.